Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Herpes Misdiagnosis... what next?

Posted In: Medical Errors 6,477,600 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 29, 2009
  • 04:17 AM

I i recently found out that i was misdiagnosed as having herpes and i wanted some peoples advice one what they thought i should do next. Its kind of a long story but here goes.

4 years ago when i was 17 i was started having some pain in/on my vagaina. I had only had sex with one guy and he was also a virgin so i did not see how it could be an STD. It got progressivly worse over a couple of days so i went to the walk in clinic (on sat.). I had a vaginal exam and the doctor took swabs and then put me on and antibiotic and valtex. he said he didnt know for sure what it was but to go to my gyn.

That monday i went to my gyn. she did an exam and set me up to get blood drawn. she said it was definitely herpes and prescribed me valtrex to clear it and then another prescription for suppression. I got my blood work and she said it came back positive for the anitbodies.

So for the next 4 years without i continued on with valtex everyday (which can be detrimental to your liver). I went though the emotional turmoil of being told i had an STD that would last the rest of my life and no matter how many people told me that "lots of people have this" it still felt ****ty to know that i did. At 17 STDs have a serious stigma attached to them. I tried to keep it a secret but my ex told another girl and alot of people in my high school found out which was also very upsetting for me. I had to go to therapy and was medicated for depression. I felt sad and bad about myself every day until about a year ago when i started to really get over it.

Well, just this past friday, 4 years after being diagnoised my gyn called me. She had done some more blood work and said my hereps anti bodies came up negative and she belived i never had herpes at all. She said because i had already been on valtrex when i saw her that monday she couldnt do cultures on the sores and therefor the only evidence she had was the blood resluts (which she said came back very low the first time and wanted a re test in 6 weeks but never told me to get it).

SO i called the walk in clinic i went to that day and spoke to the doctor who did my exam. He said that those cultures he did came back negative for herpes and positive for streptococcus (like strep throat). He never called to tell me, never had a nurse call to tell me and never sent any of the information to my GYN. I had assumed that because he didnt call and i was on the valtrex he perscibed me, plus what my gyn had told me it had to be herpes.

So now, i am happy to be healthy but FURIOUS that i went though this. I lost relationships and went though alot of emotional trauma because some doctor didnt call with test results and my gyn never had my blood retested.

So my question is what should i do now? I have spoken to a lawyer who says he dosnt think i have a great case of malpractice and that if i do want to peruse it all of my mental health records from therapy will have to come out and i dont want that. does any one have any advice on an issue like this?

I appreciate any input you may have.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement