Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

ice cold legs, feet & hands

Posted In: Medical Stories 5 Replies
  • Posted By: nightpart
  • January 27, 2009
  • 08:22 PM

I am 39 and have been having this prolem for over a year, I had all the normal tests done for these symptoms and everything came back normal. I used to never be cold, I always had central on all summer, now I have a blanket around my legs at all times. Only thing that helps is hot bath and heating pad on feet. Anyone can help please do so-Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I am 39 and have been having this prolem for over a year, I had all the normal tests done for these symptoms and everything came back normal. I used to never be cold, I always had central on all summer, now I have a blanket around my legs at all times. Only thing that helps is hot bath and heating pad on feet. Anyone can help please do so-Thanks______________________________________________________________________________I wish i knew! Im reading up on similar symptoms now. I'm 26 and my hands especially and my feet most the time are freezing cold even to the touch. I mean insanely cold. It is dead of winter so that may make em a bit colder now. but even in the summer im always cold. Sounds like u r the first person i have read about that has similar syptoms. I noticed no one wrote back, have you found out what is wrong yet? btw, doctors always say your fine LOL or 90 % of the time. but they can be wrong or maybe we just have poor circulation? thats what i wanna find out
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2009
    • 05:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you have not been tested for B-12 deficiency do so. Many times they do not test for this. I had the cold feet and hands for a lot of years up to recently when they mostly felt dead. My doctor decided to do some additional test and I found my B-12 levels were low. Read the information on B-12 deficiency and see if it applies to your case. If you still have hairs on your feet and toes, chances are it is not poor circulation. So it may be nerve damage which can come from several sources such as spinal and/or brain damage. Good fortune in getting a answer.
    MattB4 53 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 04:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 39 and have been having this prolem for over a year, I had all the normal tests done for these symptoms and everything came back normal. I used to never be cold, I always had central on all summer, now I have a blanket around my legs at all times. Only thing that helps is hot bath and heating pad on feet. Anyone can help please do so-Thanks It sounds like you have similar symptoms as I do. Look up Raynauds Phenomenon and Raynauds disease. This is very prevelant in women and especially when we get close to our 40's. I am now 44 and have been dealing with this since 35 and it gets progressively worse every year. Do not rub your hands together for friction or put your hands and feet in hot water. It may feel good right now, but eventually it will cause you more pain. Wear gloves in supermarkets and other cold places. Keep your feet as warm as possible. These attacks can even happen in the summer. There is no one test for this, but this condition is related to alot of other issues. For me, I am also hypothyroid and this is also common. (don't believe people who say put some meat on your bones and it will help because it doesn't) I went from 108 to 170 and I am still cold. LOL
    brillta 7 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 05:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have freezing cold calves and feet so cold that it's almost impossible to get warm sometimes. Does anyone have red and purplish legs and feet too? What I really would like to know is if anyone has any thing particular that helps them warm up, I've tried socks, slipper boots and blankets. Is it safe to use heating pad?Thanks Alot! Dee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 39 and have been having this prolem for over a year, I had all the normal tests done for these symptoms and everything came back normal. I used to never be cold, I always had central on all summer, now I have a blanket around my legs at all times. Only thing that helps is hot bath and heating pad on feet. Anyone can help please do so-Thanks Cold hands and feet: The sign of iron deficiency... Raynaud’s disease may be the result of overactive blood vessels, disorders of the connective tissue or emotional upsets. Whatever the cause, these feelings of chilliness or numbness are truly uncomfortable. That is why each person who has cold hands and feet because of that disease should know the following. There are some ways to give your blood flow a little nudge to get your extremity temp closer to normal. You should get into herring. Fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as mackerel, herring, salmon and anchovies, help reduce the painful blood vessel spasms that cause the shutdown of blood flow. That is why one should try to eat plenty of these cold-water fish to ease the pain of Raynaud’s or other circulatory problems due to cold weather or emotional stress. As an added bonus, these fish also help cut triglycerides, a factor that contributes to heart disease. If your body iron is low, greater iron consumption translates into more body heat, which is a good way to counteract your cold hands and feet. Since dampness leads to chilliness, you should also try to keep your hands and feet dry; absorbent foot powders are excellent for helping keep feet dry. Using foot powder on a regular basis is recommended, even sprinkling it between the toes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement