Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

sore throat/gagging/coughing vomiting? Why?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: ayleeann
  • January 27, 2009
  • 04:56 PM

I have always had a very strong gag reflex sometimes brushing my teeth makes me gag and I nearly vomit.

However, the past several weeks, my throat has been really sore (off and on) and this makes me cough and then I gag, and then that in turn makes me vomit. This has been happening lately several times a day lately. Other than feeling tired (winter weather?) I don't really have any other symptoms. I was thinking that maybe it was sinus/throat related due to the cold, dry winter weather but it's really starting to concern me now.

Any idea's anyone?:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Without a throat culture I can't say much about that,but the cough-gag-vomit cycle is something that some people have.I've had it once or twice.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 05:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Might be that, but I wonder if you might have gastroesophageal reflux. If acid is coming up into your throat this can cause a "sore throat" feeling and exaggerate (make stronger) the gag reflex & vomiting. You would not necessarily feel heartburn. You don't necessarily have to be overweight to have it. It's called silent reflux.
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 05:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Excellent thought,Aquila!
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 08:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thanks for the feeback - I think the acid reflux might be a possible cause - I do have it occasionally and never with heartburn. It's getting really annoying however, I can't even "burp" without feeling like I'm going to gag and then of course...vomit. Lately, I am doing this almost every morning now. I get worried when I am at work when I start coughing a lot that I might suddenly start to gag and then have to vomit... my desk is too far from the bathroom!:confused:
    ayleeann 6 Replies
    • February 6, 2009
    • 01:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm having the same trouble too, what did you do to stop it?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I never really did find a solution other than I have periodically been taking OTC anti-acids such as prilosec... I guess it's helping but never seems to be exactly what sets it off (acid). If for any reason I cough violenty (a regular occurence for me), I will vomit. It's becoming increasingly worrisome as this happens at the most embarrasing times... :( I hope you can get some good answers!
    ayleeann 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have just developed an exaggerated gag reflex over the past few weeks. I am not able to brush my teeth for more than 30 seconds without gagging (no vomiting thank goodness). I have also had difficulty with smells making me gag, which I've never had issue with beforehand. The only thing I've been able to associate with the gagging is stopping pantoprazole (also known as Protonix, a proton pump inhibitor taken to block acid production in the stomach). I started taking it again yesterday to see if the gagging issue improves. I have not been able to find any association with this medication and a hyper gag reflex. Has anyone else experienced this after stopping this medication? Many thanks.
  • I have always had a very strong gag reflex sometimes brushing my teeth makes me gag and I nearly vomit. However, the past several weeks, my throat has been really sore (off and on) and this makes me cough and then I gag, and then that in turn makes me vomit. This has been happening lately several times a day lately. Other than feeling tired (winter weather?) I don't really have any other symptoms. I was thinking that maybe it was sinus/throat related due to the cold, dry winter weather but it's really starting to concern me now. Any idea's anyone?:confused:I have had all of these exact symptoms for dragging on two years now and not that I have been any better but I have had a blood test and discovered I have the pi-corie bacteria living in my gut and though thousands have it and it never bothers them some people get prgressivley sicker with it, the Dr.gave me two intensive courses of antibiotics along with penacilin but I know its still there as when I lay down I can't stop coughing, I burp all of the time and like you can't even brush my teeth at times, I'm having further tests on monday with a camera but it's worth a simple blood test to know if you have it as you read about it on the internet it is often present in people with ulcers and even stomoch cancer so get it checked, hope this helps, Jan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 03:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this happens to me when i take too big a chronic hit, lol but i think it goes beyond that, maybe it has to do with certain medications youre taking, they give you side-effects comparable to what your reporting. i take an anxiety med, and ive never coughed/gagged until being on it...maybe u should take a look at the medications you are taking and talk to your doc about it..?-AK
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2010
    • 08:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had all of these exact symptoms for dragging on two years now and not that I have been any better but I have had a blood test and discovered I have the pi-corie bacteria living in my gut and though thousands have it and it never bothers them some people get prgressivley sicker with it, the Dr.gave me two intensive courses of antibiotics along with penacilin but I know its still there as when I lay down I can't stop coughing, I burp all of the time and like you can't even brush my teeth at times, I'm having further tests on monday with a camera but it's worth a simple blood test to know if you have it as you read about it on the internet it is often present in people with ulcers and even stomoch cancer so get it checked, hope this helps, Jan i ll sugest you panchakarma (vaman, virchen)
  • I had to share my experience. About a year ago I started searching online why I do have a gagging reflux during teeth brushing for the last two years. Surprisingly, I learned that a lot of people share the same problem but I had not real answer and I gave up. Six months ago I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid and started educating myself about the condition. I found out that fluoride is not good for thyroid and during WWII was used by people with overactive thyroid to “kill the gland”. Knowing that I switched to toothpaste without fluoride ( just in case) and shortly after I stopped having gagging reflux during teeth brushing. First I didn’t make the connection until recently I shared the experience with my girlfriend and she told ma that she also stopped having gagging reflux after switching the toothpaste. ( She doesn’t have a thyroid problem but switched toothpaste after reading article about fluoride).I remember searching the web for information thinking how come that many people have the same problem but nobody knows why this is happening. For this reason I had to share my experience and I am still amazed that nobody mentioned anything about fluoride.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2010
    • 02:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have always had a very strong gag reflex sometimes brushing my teeth makes me gag and I nearly vomit. However, the past several weeks, my throat has been really sore (off and on) and this makes me cough and then I gag, and then that in turn makes me vomit. This has been happening lately several times a day lately. Other than feeling tired (winter weather?) I don't really have any other symptoms. I was thinking that maybe it was sinus/throat related due to the cold, dry winter weather but it's really starting to concern me now. Any idea's anyone?:confused:Im having the same symtoms whereby when i start to cough until my i vommit witk lots of tear. It keep repeating..during working hours, journey to work, just unpredible when the cough will start. Im going to see doctor by this... will update what is it exactly...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2011
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement