Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Bleeding after bowel movement

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: CuriousCaterpillar
  • January 25, 2009
  • 07:09 PM

I've read a few things about possible causes off blood on stool, mixed with stool, or blood on toilet paper after going to the bathroom. Those I've had twice recently, but the first time there wasn't just blood on the toilet paper there was actually a significant amount of blood in the toilet as well. It wasn't just mixed with or on the stool it was blood that came out after the stool and turned the toilet water red. The second time that didn't happen but there was still blood on the stool and a good amount on the toilet paper, too. I'm wondering if this sounds like anything more serious or if it could still just be a fissure or something else that could heal on its own. It is a little painful to go, but not unbearable by any means and sometimes a bit itchy but, again, not significantly. While the stool is somewhat hard and big, it isn't anymore so than usual (I've always been pretty consistently constipated, which I've always believed was related to my allergy medicines) so I don't know why suddenly I'd be having problems if nothing about my actual bowel movements has changed. Anyway, if anyone has any idea what it could be or if I should get checked out or just wait to see if it heals on its own, let me know. Thank you.

*Edit: I should also note that I often feel like I'm not finished after I go to the bathroom, like there's still more there, but I can't get anything to come out. I'm not sure if this relates, but I've heard it could.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• The most likely and common cause is internal haemorrhoids as you have been bothered with constipation, prolonged straining causes them. They can be there for years before you become aware of them. They can cause anal bleeding, itch, pain and discomfort. They can be easliy treated. Go to your doctors for a check up. Best wishes :)
    Tootsie 628 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 07:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm sure you know this but drink lots of water and definitely go to the doctor and get ask about a colonoscopy. since it is red blood and not dark could be hemorrhoids or polyps in the colon which are easily removed doing a scope. don't wait to see the dr. since losing blood can make you really run down. don't fret about getting a scope done, you will be given meds so that you will not remember the actual procedure.
    AprilRN 27 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 05:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The idea of getting a scope done doesn't really bother me that much. If I need one I'll do it. I am going to wait a week or so tho and see how I am, if it gets better on its own I'll probably just let it be. I've stopped taking my allergy meds to see if that helps at all. We'll see if that works tho, I may have to take them if I end up having trouble sleeping. It probably is hemorrhoids or a fissure or something silly like that, I just wasn't sure because most of what I've read about those say it's extremely painful to go to the bathroom if you have them and, like I said, it really wasn't painful. The first time, especially, there was no indication that anything was wrong except that there was blood.
    CuriousCaterpillar 1 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement