Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pain in hip/upper leg while running

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 23, 2009
  • 01:53 AM

I'm 25 years old and have been running since I was 14. I ran competitively through high school and college, and now I maintain an active running lifestyle of 3 to 4 runs per week, on average. My usual running time on most runs is 40 to 50 minutes. I overpronate when I run, so I wear custom-made orthodics in my shoes. I've been wearing orthodics since high school, and my last custom pair was made 4 or 5 years ago. Everything has been just fine until a few weeks ago:

I hadn't run in about a week, and was anxious to go on a run again. Feeling good, I ended up running over 80 minutes (a time I haven't reached in a long time). For the last 20 minutes of the run, I started to develop blisters on my feet and this may have caused me to alter my stride a bit to decrease the pain. For the next couple days following this run, I was sore in my legs, of course, but nothing seemed wrong.

I ran again five days later. About 10 or 15 minutes into the run, I began feeling a stiff pain in my upper left thigh/hip area. The longer I ran, the worse it became. I managed to get back home - barely - and clocked in at 30 minutes. For the rest of that day and about 48 hours afterwards, I had to limp while walking.

I didn't run again until I could walk normally again, which was about 4 days later. I could only run for 5 minutes total because the pain came right back. I waited another 4 days or so, and tried running again, this time I lasted about 9 minutes before I could feel the same pain creeping up again, getting worse as I ran.

My next run I made it to 15 minutes, then 3 days after that I made it to 20, then another three day wait, and today I ran 25 minutes but the pain was in full force at the end of the run. However, I have no pain at all walking around immediately after the run. I also tried running with different shoes, thinking that would make a difference, but the pain slowly yet surely reappeared during the run.

I have also noticed that when I lift my left leg up to my chest while standing, and then as I lower it back down again, I feel a distinct clicking feeling right in the same area that I feel pain during my runs (tendons moving, perhaps?). For comparison, when I lift and drop my right leg, no such clicking happens. I don't know if this is related to my pain, but it does seem suspect.

I don't know whether I should just not run at all for a while and then see what happens, or if I should actively pursue some sort of remedy.

I'm anxious to hear any opinions or advice on this matter.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement