Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pain in hip/upper leg while running

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 23, 2009
  • 01:53 AM

I'm 25 years old and have been running since I was 14. I ran competitively through high school and college, and now I maintain an active running lifestyle of 3 to 4 runs per week, on average. My usual running time on most runs is 40 to 50 minutes. I overpronate when I run, so I wear custom-made orthodics in my shoes. I've been wearing orthodics since high school, and my last custom pair was made 4 or 5 years ago. Everything has been just fine until a few weeks ago:

I hadn't run in about a week, and was anxious to go on a run again. Feeling good, I ended up running over 80 minutes (a time I haven't reached in a long time). For the last 20 minutes of the run, I started to develop blisters on my feet and this may have caused me to alter my stride a bit to decrease the pain. For the next couple days following this run, I was sore in my legs, of course, but nothing seemed wrong.

I ran again five days later. About 10 or 15 minutes into the run, I began feeling a stiff pain in my upper left thigh/hip area. The longer I ran, the worse it became. I managed to get back home - barely - and clocked in at 30 minutes. For the rest of that day and about 48 hours afterwards, I had to limp while walking.

I didn't run again until I could walk normally again, which was about 4 days later. I could only run for 5 minutes total because the pain came right back. I waited another 4 days or so, and tried running again, this time I lasted about 9 minutes before I could feel the same pain creeping up again, getting worse as I ran.

My next run I made it to 15 minutes, then 3 days after that I made it to 20, then another three day wait, and today I ran 25 minutes but the pain was in full force at the end of the run. However, I have no pain at all walking around immediately after the run. I also tried running with different shoes, thinking that would make a difference, but the pain slowly yet surely reappeared during the run.

I have also noticed that when I lift my left leg up to my chest while standing, and then as I lower it back down again, I feel a distinct clicking feeling right in the same area that I feel pain during my runs (tendons moving, perhaps?). For comparison, when I lift and drop my right leg, no such clicking happens. I don't know if this is related to my pain, but it does seem suspect.

I don't know whether I should just not run at all for a while and then see what happens, or if I should actively pursue some sort of remedy.

I'm anxious to hear any opinions or advice on this matter.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• When you finish your run and a few hours after if you step down and then take the pressure off your leg does the pain in the upper hip/groin area increase then release?It sounds like you have the same thing as I do. My physio thinks its an imbalance in the upper hamstring and the hip flexor. I'm a triathlete that has been battling this for 4 months now. Acupuncture seems to stop the pain until after the next run. One in the foot between the big and index toes. One on the lateral side of the leg just below the knee, one on the trigger point at the top of the tibial head and another in the upper lateral quad. Let me know if you get any responses as well. I would like to know if anyone else is having the problem.
    windsordrew 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been feeling the same pain in my upper left leg, almost in the connection area with the hip. I took almost one month off from running. My chiropractor said my left leg is larger than the other so that may be one of the reasons, but it is really frustrating because there is no other exercise I love as much as I love running. There is simply nothing like it, but it hurts really bad and it just angers me. Why does this frustrating pain have to reappear?After a month off from running, I started my regular routine, and the pain is back. I am sad and do not know what to do. After I run, I have pain while walking through the rest of the day. Someone recommended glucosamine, but not sure. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2010
    • 06:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This may sound like an odd suggestion, but you should look into or at least read about minimalist running or "barefoot" running. I did ballet for 12 years which uses a very thin shoe so that your foot can work naturally which affects the rest of your body. After quitting dance and wearing normal running shoes around for the last 5 years I started getting terrible back pain and my knees and ankles ached all the time. I had also developed crippling pain in the arch of my right foot. What I found out was that arch supports were actually weakening my feet and the shoes were causing me to walk differently. Arches are one of the strongest shapes in the world, but when pushed from the bottom up they are useless. Barefoot running allows your body to work naturally and allows your stride to fall into the best position for yourself. Do a search for vibram fivefingers and at least read about them on their website. After I dropped my nikes all the pain melted away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2010
    • 10:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement