Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Tightened and constricted feeling in forearms/calves

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 22, 2009
  • 10:11 PM

Alright, this all started happening about 1.5 months ago. One day out of the blue, I started getting a "tightened" or rather just odd feeling in my calf. In terms of physical strength, my leg was fine but I just got kind of a "weak" feeling only in my calf due to the tightness. This was accompanied by a tightened feeling in my forearms. In terms of my arms..do you know that feeling when you fall alseep on an arm? Let's say the numbness of your arm at that point is 100 percent, well, sometimes in either arm I get maybe 10% of that. Not really numb but I feel like I have to shake my arm to get blood flowing only nothing helps but time. Sometimes after a while I feel like I get a rush of blood flowing back in my hands or legs once this passes. So basically, this was going on and off, there is no pattern. Sometimes it would be both my right leg and right arm, sometimes just my two arms, sometimes a leg and sometimes for up to 3 days no uncomfortable feelings at all.

So I then did all the major hospital tests to test for major issues and nothing came back remarkable except for a low Vitamin D level. I then did an MRI of the lumbar area and L3, L4 and L5 were slightly bulging.

What annoys me however is the non-concrete diagnosis. Within the hospital (before the lumbar MRI) my physician was like "Definately Vitamin D. In a couple weeks you shouldn't feel anything." Well, a couple weeks passed and I still have this. After he saw the MRI, he said, "Oh, definately your back which is causing this." Well great, I suppose I should take the words without a grain of salt since my diagnosis was switched in 5 seconds ever since my results came back.

Now I will honest about my lifestyle. I don't smoke, I am 22, I am a male, I did not take any Vitamins before this BUT I don't/didn't eat fast food ever. Do any of you have any remote clue?

I just wanted to add something crucial. That usually these feelings can last anywhere from 1hr-4 or 5 hours but they do stop for the day.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• You would be wise to ignore Blaze's spam!
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 00:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • From what I know,they are inferior.
    • January 23, 2009
    • 05:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Any other suggestions besides German education...?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 06:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The u.s.a.
    • January 23, 2009
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The u.s.a.I meant in terms of just one post trying to give a guess as to what the heck could be wrong but this conversation is equally vital in solving my problem. I guess my symptoms are all due to the German education system.Seriously though...anyone?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 07:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have degenerative disc disease (Severe) and I get the tingly pins and needles feeling like my arms are going asleep & tightness in my arms which is due to the compression in my cervical spine. I get the tightness in my calves due to compression and narrowing in my L4 & 5 in my lower back/ buttock region. If you have bulging goin on in L3,4 & 5 this can cause these symptoms. Get them to check you for degenerative disc disease (osteoarthritis) or hook you up with a Rheumatologist If you rheumatoid factor in your blood is elevated, the markers will show it in the blood test. Do you get muscle spasms @ all? I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndrome & I also get the tingly falling asleep feeling from that with that diagnosis which in turn turned out to be degenerative disc disease which was left untreated cus they assumed it was the FMS & MFS Good Luck Hon As EvErCat
    kitcat50 8 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 10:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Bump, I didn't get a single idea yet so...and now my right forearm for the past day has been experiencing the sensation of tightness with me trying to shake my hand to get some blood through (I mean the feeling of a blood rush) but obviously, nothing happens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2009
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You have some very bizarre symptoms;it makes it very hard to figure out.
    • January 24, 2009
    • 04:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have degenerative disc disease (Severe) and I get the tingly pins and needles feeling like my arms are going asleep & tightness in my arms which is due to the compression in my cervical spine. I get the tightness in my calves due to compression and narrowing in my L4 & 5 in my lower back/ buttock region. If you have bulging goin on in L3,4 & 5 this can cause these symptoms. Get them to check you for degenerative disc disease (osteoarthritis) or hook you up with a Rheumatologist If you rheumatoid factor in your blood is elevated, the markers will show it in the blood test. Do you get muscle spasms @ all? I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndrome & I also get the tingly falling asleep feeling from that with that diagnosis which in turn turned out to be degenerative disc disease which was left untreated cus they assumed it was the FMS & MFS Good Luck Hon As EvErCatThank you very much, I honest to god appreciate your response. I was getting muscle spasms before this occurred a decent amount and at some points now when falling alseep. I know muscle spasms at night are normal but I NEVER had this in my life up until maybe a week before this started. I actually am frustrated mainly because I was never given a followup. The doctor-who is actually regarded as really good- who saw me in the hospital basically seemed kind of distant. To him it was: "You don't have MS, well, I don't really care to see you then." I then received the lumbar results and he never really responded. I was even more angry when in the hospital he thought I was somewhat exaggerating or fibbing about what I'm feeling (like a hypochondriac who is imagining this). I'm going to inquire what you mentioned to the neurologist when I see him and see what he says.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have degenerative disc disease (Severe) and I get the tingly pins and needles feeling like my arms are going asleep & tightness in my arms which is due to the compression in my cervical spine. I get the tightness in my calves due to compression and narrowing in my L4 & 5 in my lower back/ buttock region. If you have bulging goin on in L3,4 & 5 this can cause these symptoms. Get them to check you for degenerative disc disease (osteoarthritis) or hook you up with a Rheumatologist If you rheumatoid factor in your blood is elevated, the markers will show it in the blood test. Do you get muscle spasms @ all? I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndrome & I also get the tingly falling asleep feeling from that with that diagnosis which in turn turned out to be degenerative disc disease which was left untreated cus they assumed it was the FMS & MFS Good Luck Hon As EvErCatOh and when I mean tightness, I don't mean a painful tightness. More like...a fatigued odd feeling that can similarly summed up as to be somewhat tight in both regions.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 03:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Iozuk, what happened later? Did you ever find out what the problem was?I have exactly the same symptoms.
    jackie_ 1 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 07:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement