Discussions By Condition: Anal/Rectal Conditions

Rectal Pain/Burning, Who should I see?

Posted In: Anal/Rectal Conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Ashlen
  • January 22, 2009
  • 08:39 PM

For the last few weeks my anus has been in a lot of pain off and on. In the morning I feel fine and think everything is better, but when I use the restroom it feels like there are shards of glass in my stool. Afterward I am in a mixed pain, sometimes it's sharp and focused in one area (kind of like glass), other times it's a dull pain that is in a larger area, and sometimes I can feel the pulsing of the blood in my veins in my rectum and that hurts, there is also sometimes burning and infrequently itching. The pain is also painful when I have an erection that flexes (rectal muscles contracting). I think the pain gets worse if the blood in my system pools down there, so laying on my back with legs elevated seems to relieve pain. I've also been using P.H. to relieve pain and it seems to help somewhat. It seems to heal after a period, but I'm curious if it is a fissue because if I part my legs too much it feels like I rip something and a couple times blood came out with my next stool and the pain goes back to being strong.

Anyway, for some reason the pain is particularly strong today and I'm at my wits end. I want to see a doctor about this, but I'm not sure what to do. Should I see my normal general doctor or should I try to make an appointment with a proctologist (or whatever their title is these days)? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• sounds to me like internal hemorrhoids. I would just see regular doc and he may suggest getting them removed.
    AprilRN 27 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 02:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the same symptoms before, or very similar. I agree with what the RN said about internal hemmerhoids. Something that might be helpful for you, after you have a bowel movement, use plain witch hazel astringent on toilet paper or a wash cloth and keep it on there, pressed against your rectum, for at least five minutes. Tucks are made with witch hazel, which is the ingredient in them that helps. I just use straight witch hazel..it's cheaper and I have found, more effective. Avoid straining during BM's or lifting of anything heavy. Avoid strenuous activities as well, such as certain exercises, which will exasperate your problem. Do hot soaks in the tub, if you don't have a sitz bath, as much as possible. They may flare up again if you lift something heavy, have a lot of stress, experience constipation and/or diarrhea...so don't be surprised if this happens. But do get to your doctor and get it checked out. Be sure, btw, to wash really good with a good antibacterial soap, such as white dial. Do not ever take anything with flax in it! This will irritate hemmerhoids. Make sure to drink a lot of water and avoid foods that would constipate (such as cheese) as well as foods that might cause your stools to be too loose and frequent and/or painful, such as spicey foods, fast foods, beans, etc. Do include fiber in your diet (apples, fresh veggies (not the gas causing ones, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions or cucumber...), wholegrains, wholegrain cereals (oatmeal, total, cracklin oat bran, etc.) And again, drink plenty of water! I hope I've helped.
    christinaf1972 5 Replies
    • February 3, 2009
    • 02:06 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement