Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Muscle Weakness/Heaviness on one side of body; Pins & needles all over

Posted In: Nerve conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Moonpye
  • January 21, 2009
  • 11:31 PM

Hi all...

I'm trying not to flip myself out, but I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also know that what I'm experiencing is real, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

A little background: I am 26 years old (female), and I have a history of debilitating anxiety problems. I usually manage them fairly well, but once I get going...well...I get going. A few weeks ago, my cat (who I love very much) got mysteriously ill and I got very depressed. I worked myself into a frenzy, certain he was going to die of some horrible disease. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him, but put him on antibiotics, and he got better. While all of this stress was going on, I was on the computer for hours every day (mostly every waking hour) researching his illness, doing my normal work (I'm a teacher), and playing games to distract myself from my anxiety. I was sitting on a wooden stool (no back) slumped over, body twisted to one side, with one leg tucked under me. Until yesterday, I was doing this everyday for the past three weeks. About two weeks ago, I started to notice that, in the evenings, my left leg would start to feel very heavy/weak. I don't think it actually IS weak, because I can still lift it up in the air and hold it, stand on it with my other leg raised, go up and down the stairs, run, etc. Then, two mornings ago, I woke up and noticed the entire right side of my body felt weak--from my feet all the way up to my right eye which FEELS droopy/heavy/blurry, but, visibly, is not. I also noticed that my right hand gets much colder than my left, and that I'm lacking my normal dexterity in my right hand. I've been having some "pins & needles"and intense "itching" sensations in different parts of my body. When I scratch/rub my leg/arm on the right side, I will sometimes get a burning sensation afterwards. My eye "droopiness" (which isn't really droopiness, from what I can see in the mirror) seems to get worse when I'm on the computer/in fluorescent lighting.

From a health history perspective, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand/wrist, and have had several periods in my life where there is weakness/lack of dexterity. ALSO, about 7 years ago, I sustained a rather serious injury to my 5th lumbar when a "friend" bodyslammed me onto the concrete. I was unable to walk and, at times, my back would spasm so hard I would be unable to breathe. I sought chiropractice treatment and gradually began to get better, though my back still gives me problems at times. Finally, I have bursitis in my left knee which has recently and mysteriously flared up, despite the fact that I religiously stay off of my knees (how I got the bursitis in the first place...from gardening). Last winter, I got a strange nerve tingle in one buttock that lasted for several weeks. The doctor said it was a compression injury from sitting in the bathtub (which I do a lot in the depth of winter!).

I'm starting to feel very scared that this could be something like MS. I don't THINK there's any weakness going on for REAL--I've been doing yoga (gently), taking walks, etc., but I feel CLUMSY or as though my body is shifting to one side, when my boyfriend swears to me it's NOT. My hips feel all out of whack--as though they're trying to go one way while the rest of my body wants to go the other. My right leg feels as though the muscles get extremely tight when I'm driving, and, the other night, my lower back started to spasm in bed.

When I get really anxious about it (like I am right now), the pins & needles sensations increase, which makes me think those symptoms, at least, are related to anxiety.

I've been trying to do the yoga/breathing exercises to keep myself calm and reassure myself that my body is still working, but the fact remains that something IS wrong.

Do you think perhaps this is an issue of several nerve compression injuries from the length of time/way I've been sitting at the computer?

I do NOT have insurance (screw you, community college system!), but there's a possibility that I can go to a free clinic. I just know that they'll brush it off as anxiety (what they did when I went in with swollen lymph nodes and a perfect CBC), but I really do think there's SOMETHING wrong.

Does this SOUND like nerve compression? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? I feel like they'll probably go away on their own, but right now, I'm scared. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay active and keep away from the computer, but it's hard, because I teach some online courses in addition to my in-person classes, so I HAVE to be on the computer. And, obviously, I'm on the computer right now... :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-KG

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Alright--so I just got back from a horribly long day at the hospital (no insurance...omg...) where I got an MRI of my brain, bloodwork, and several exams by the neurologist. The results?They have no clue what's wrong with me. The neurologist said my MRI looked fine, my bloodwork was good (white count a little low...but it always is), and, of course, I wasn't pregnant. :rolleyes: My face still feels oddly numb, but the weakness in my arm/leg is getting better. The neurologist said that he COULD do a spinal tap if I really wanted to rule out MS, but I really, really can't afford that right now, and he said he wasn't comfortable with saying it seemed like MS. So...no stroke...no brain tumor...that's a relief, but what on earth is going on with me???? Could the numbness in my face be related the anxiety I have over my arm/leg weakness??????
    Moonpye 1 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 00:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i'm 21 and im suffering similar symptoms as your my whole left body feels weaker and colder than the right side. the left prt of my head feels different than my right side. i used to feel off balance when i walk and my left eye is literally droopy but i've lways had a droopy eyelid there. i've been having these weird symptoms for 4 months now. it all started when i used to lie on the side of my body for prolonged period on the compuer. also i was always an anxious person especially the period before all this started my anxiety reached its peak. but i always get anxious wen i get a cold or a flu or wn theres sum virus in my body.. I have done MRI, 2 catscans, seen an ENT to check for balnce, numerous blood tests. everything came back normal except that my platelets level is lower than normal ( how was ur pltelet level?) not sure if its related but my doc is going to referr me to a hematologist. recently i've been getting alot of migraines so im starting to think that all this time it might've been a painless migraine? but i don't know y wud it last for days even weeks.. i have a few days where i feel perfectly normal sometims weeks but then it ll comes back. i noticed when i pull my head back and stretch my neck it helps the next day but dunno might just be a coincidence. I'm soo sick of this n i cant wait to figure out wat is wrong with me.. i do have free insurance since im in canada but the docs seem to think its just anxiety !
    rmk_1987 20 Replies
    • January 24, 2009
    • 10:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, It looks like pinched/compressed nerves but see a neurologist first and he may actually direct you towards acupuncture. It is very good for your kind of problem!
    VickyT 3 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 02:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • did u chek for myasthenia gravis? Hi all... I'm trying not to flip myself out, but I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also know that what I'm experiencing is real, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. A little background: I am 26 years old (female), and I have a history of debilitating anxiety problems. I usually manage them fairly well, but once I get going...well...I get going. A few weeks ago, my cat (who I love very much) got mysteriously ill and I got very depressed. I worked myself into a frenzy, certain he was going to die of some horrible disease. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him, but put him on antibiotics, and he got better. While all of this stress was going on, I was on the computer for hours every day (mostly every waking hour) researching his illness, doing my normal work (I'm a teacher), and playing games to distract myself from my anxiety. I was sitting on a wooden stool (no back) slumped over, body twisted to one side, with one leg tucked under me. Until yesterday, I was doing this everyday for the past three weeks. About two weeks ago, I started to notice that, in the evenings, my left leg would start to feel very heavy/weak. I don't think it actually IS weak, because I can still lift it up in the air and hold it, stand on it with my other leg raised, go up and down the stairs, run, etc. Then, two mornings ago, I woke up and noticed the entire right side of my body felt weak--from my feet all the way up to my right eye which FEELS droopy/heavy/blurry, but, visibly, is not. I also noticed that my right hand gets much colder than my left, and that I'm lacking my normal dexterity in my right hand. I've been having some "pins & needles"and intense "itching" sensations in different parts of my body. When I scratch/rub my leg/arm on the right side, I will sometimes get a burning sensation afterwards. My eye "droopiness" (which isn't really droopiness, from what I can see in the mirror) seems to get worse when I'm on the computer/in fluorescent lighting. From a health history perspective, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand/wrist, and have had several periods in my life where there is weakness/lack of dexterity. ALSO, about 7 years ago, I sustained a rather serious injury to my 5th lumbar when a "friend" bodyslammed me onto the concrete. I was unable to walk and, at times, my back would spasm so hard I would be unable to breathe. I sought chiropractice treatment and gradually began to get better, though my back still gives me problems at times. Finally, I have bursitis in my left knee which has recently and mysteriously flared up, despite the fact that I religiously stay off of my knees (how I got the bursitis in the first place...from gardening). Last winter, I got a strange nerve tingle in one buttock that lasted for several weeks. The doctor said it was a compression injury from sitting in the bathtub (which I do a lot in the depth of winter!). I'm starting to feel very scared that this could be something like MS. I don't THINK there's any weakness going on for REAL--I've been doing yoga (gently), taking walks, etc., but I feel CLUMSY or as though my body is shifting to one side, when my boyfriend swears to me it's NOT. My hips feel all out of whack--as though they're trying to go one way while the rest of my body wants to go the other. My right leg feels as though the muscles get extremely tight when I'm driving, and, the other night, my lower back started to spasm in bed. When I get really anxious about it (like I am right now), the pins & needles sensations increase, which makes me think those symptoms, at least, are related to anxiety. I've been trying to do the yoga/breathing exercises to keep myself calm and reassure myself that my body is still working, but the fact remains that something IS wrong. Do you think perhaps this is an issue of several nerve compression injuries from the length of time/way I've been sitting at the computer? I do NOT have insurance (screw you, community college system!), but there's a possibility that I can go to a free clinic. I just know that they'll brush it off as anxiety (what they did when I went in with swollen lymph nodes and a perfect CBC), but I really do think there's SOMETHING wrong. Does this SOUND like nerve compression? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? I feel like they'll probably go away on their own, but right now, I'm scared. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay active and keep away from the computer, but it's hard, because I teach some online courses in addition to my in-person classes, so I HAVE to be on the computer. And, obviously, I'm on the computer right now... :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated. -KG
    rmk_1987 20 Replies
    • August 31, 2009
    • 08:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear MoonpyeIt does look like pinched nerves as you have said that it started with wrong posture. It sometimes does affect just one side and can result in effects like carpel tunnel. This will not show on any blood tests or MRI scans, but is very painful. Some people may need an operation. If you had been to see the acupuncturist they may have directed you to a chiropractor or osteopath- there is usually no point in using both at the same time. However it is best to see a chiropractor or osteopath. They will take an x-ray of the affected areas and show you where the worn bits of you bones are. Then they will straighten you out. You should go for the whole course of treatment and do the exercises. If the problem is trapped nerves this is a very effective form of treatment. You may even need to go twenty or more times, but it is worth it. You will soon feel better. Hope that is all it is!What have you been doing to help yourself so far?
    VickyT 3 Replies
    • September 4, 2009
    • 01:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all...I'm trying not to flip myself out, but I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also know that what I'm experiencing is real, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.A little background: I am 26 years old (female), and I have a history of debilitating anxiety problems. I usually manage them fairly well, but once I get going...well...I get going. A few weeks ago, my cat (who I love very much) got mysteriously ill and I got very depressed. I worked myself into a frenzy, certain he was going to die of some horrible disease. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him, but put him on antibiotics, and he got better. While all of this stress was going on, I was on the computer for hours every day (mostly every waking hour) researching his illness, doing my normal work (I'm a teacher), and playing games to distract myself from my anxiety. I was sitting on a wooden stool (no back) slumped over, body twisted to one side, with one leg tucked under me. Until yesterday, I was doing this everyday for the past three weeks. About two weeks ago, I started to notice that, in the evenings, my left leg would start to feel very heavy/weak. I don't think it actually IS weak, because I can still lift it up in the air and hold it, stand on it with my other leg raised, go up and down the stairs, run, etc. Then, two mornings ago, I woke up and noticed the entire right side of my body felt weak--from my feet all the way up to my right eye which FEELS droopy/heavy/blurry, but, visibly, is not. I also noticed that my right hand gets much colder than my left, and that I'm lacking my normal dexterity in my right hand. I've been having some "pins & needles"and intense "itching" sensations in different parts of my body. When I scratch/rub my leg/arm on the right side, I will sometimes get a burning sensation afterwards. My eye "droopiness" (which isn't really droopiness, from what I can see in the mirror) seems to get worse when I'm on the computer/in fluorescent lighting. From a health history perspective, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand/wrist, and have had several periods in my life where there is weakness/lack of dexterity. ALSO, about 7 years ago, I sustained a rather serious injury to my 5th lumbar when a "friend" bodyslammed me onto the concrete. I was unable to walk and, at times, my back would spasm so hard I would be unable to breathe. I sought chiropractice treatment and gradually began to get better, though my back still gives me problems at times. Finally, I have bursitis in my left knee which has recently and mysteriously flared up, despite the fact that I religiously stay off of my knees (how I got the bursitis in the first place...from gardening). Last winter, I got a strange nerve tingle in one buttock that lasted for several weeks. The doctor said it was a compression injury from sitting in the bathtub (which I do a lot in the depth of winter!). I'm starting to feel very scared that this could be something like MS. I don't THINK there's any weakness going on for REAL--I've been doing yoga (gently), taking walks, etc., but I feel CLUMSY or as though my body is shifting to one side, when my boyfriend swears to me it's NOT. My hips feel all out of whack--as though they're trying to go one way while the rest of my body wants to go the other. My right leg feels as though the muscles get extremely tight when I'm driving, and, the other night, my lower back started to spasm in bed. When I get really anxious about it (like I am right now), the pins & needles sensations increase, which makes me think those symptoms, at least, are related to anxiety. I've been trying to do the yoga/breathing exercises to keep myself calm and reassure myself that my body is still working, but the fact remains that something IS wrong.Do you think perhaps this is an issue of several nerve compression injuries from the length of time/way I've been sitting at the computer? I do NOT have insurance (screw you, community college system!), but there's a possibility that I can go to a free clinic. I just know that they'll brush it off as anxiety (what they did when I went in with swollen lymph nodes and a perfect CBC), but I really do think there's SOMETHING wrong. Does this SOUND like nerve compression? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? I feel like they'll probably go away on their own, but right now, I'm scared. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay active and keep away from the computer, but it's hard, because I teach some online courses in addition to my in-person classes, so I HAVE to be on the computer. And, obviously, I'm on the computer right now... :/Any help would be greatly appreciated.-KGoh my god i have the same things going on in my life ist my right side feels weak and pain 24 /7 i feel like some thing is wrong and it is getting better but not like i use to be. i look up things and think i have ms all the time . i'm stress out i cry its been like this for years now i dont know what to do . your story is like i wrote it .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • look up anxiety i have the same thing always thinking i have ms because of the tingling weakness and lower back pain its crazy i had a mri done t satcans done i have carple tunnel in right arm and a bulginh disc but always think i have ms the stress is so much i cry all the time i dont know what to do seeing a neruo guy july but he is going to say its anxiety . so i have to start getting better i my own i sit on the computer looking up things like this site . its crazy
  • sound like myasthenia gravis. loook up with ur head straight for several minutes and look at the mirror to see if one eye is more droopy than the other. do tht not in the morning.
  • hi i had tingling in y feet and my right pinkky and ring finger then my foot pain and under my breast to the back tingling sensation and weakness on right side only of of this stuff i wrote went to a neuro doctor took mri of the brain and spine aug 11TH went back i have ms . it mat sound silly but i'm relax now i just got on meds and trying to uncroll it thats what it does no cure but im getting back my life two years of all that happening to my body and you know what i was tired of the doctors saying nothing. good luck and do a mri of head and spine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2010
    • 00:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • so apparently anxiety can manifest itself in many ways, including the ways described in this thread.I had a spinal injury which caused left leg issues, weakness, pain etc. It caused me to miss job opportunities for a month. The combination of the injury and the frustration seems to have resulted in some sort of anxiety disorder which is manifesting itself in tremors and left side weakness. I also had some tremors in my right hand.But based on tests results there may be a few things that caused this to happen, but the developing consensus seems to be anxiety. Like others here, I am also a 'tightly wound' person, which for me means frustrated easily and a little on edge. I quadruple check everything, don't make many mistakes, did well in uni, high IQ etc, and so when I encounter situations where I don't have control, where people don't exercise caution and do a good job, every little problem I see seems to cause 'something' to happen. Anti-anxiety meds serve as a bit of a 'muting' effect on me, rather than having a profound positive impact that makes life easier. Assuming they are right, I will be dealing with my spinal injury and left leg issues the rest of my life, but the upper body/hand/arm issues may subside.I've been in near plance crashes(plural), major earthquakes (7.0), bomb scares, typhoons and shake downs, but never had any problems. But physical injury seems to have been the difference maker for me, between anxiety being a slight problem that put me on edge, to something that was physically manifesting itself in a very serious way.So as deflating as it is to have to admit and accept that anxiety is a very serious issue in your life, it's an important step to starting to feel better and being able to live a normal life. Try anti-anxiety meds and see if they work and make a difference.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2010
    • 06:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Moonpye (and others that might know about this),Did you ever got a diagnosis for your symptoms? I ask since I have some very similar symptoms. A few months ago, I noticed that I had less and less strength in my left foot: I am told this is called "foot drop". I also had a small pressure in my lower back around my tailbone.Well, I got an MRI done, and it showed that I had a herniated disk near one of the nerves in that area. The LPN described it as: "1) small left foraminal disc protrusion at L5-S1 with associated moderate foraminal stenosis 2) mild disc bulge L4-5 approximating the exiting L4 nerve."The Dr gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and sent me on my way. However, he said that he didn't think that the symptoms should effect my foot, yet when I took the medication that symptom improved.Today my left hand (ring and pinky finger) feels weaker than on the right hand, so I thought I'd do some online research and see what came up. I'm also under a bit of stress now while I'm looking for a better job.The health care providers that I've talked to don't seem to think that the nerves in the lower back are related to the weaknesses, however, from what I've read here, they do seem related. That's why I am so interested to find out what others with similar symptoms have found out. Please let me know what you can!Thanks, DTHi all...I'm trying not to flip myself out, but I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also know that what I'm experiencing is real, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.A little background: I am 26 years old (female), and I have a history of debilitating anxiety problems. I usually manage them fairly well, but once I get going...well...I get going. A few weeks ago, my cat (who I love very much) got mysteriously ill and I got very depressed. I worked myself into a frenzy, certain he was going to die of some horrible disease. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him, but put him on antibiotics, and he got better. While all of this stress was going on, I was on the computer for hours every day (mostly every waking hour) researching his illness, doing my normal work (I'm a teacher), and playing games to distract myself from my anxiety. I was sitting on a wooden stool (no back) slumped over, body twisted to one side, with one leg tucked under me. Until yesterday, I was doing this everyday for the past three weeks. About two weeks ago, I started to notice that, in the evenings, my left leg would start to feel very heavy/weak. I don't think it actually IS weak, because I can still lift it up in the air and hold it, stand on it with my other leg raised, go up and down the stairs, run, etc. Then, two mornings ago, I woke up and noticed the entire right side of my body felt weak--from my feet all the way up to my right eye which FEELS droopy/heavy/blurry, but, visibly, is not. I also noticed that my right hand gets much colder than my left, and that I'm lacking my normal dexterity in my right hand. I've been having some "pins & needles"and intense "itching" sensations in different parts of my body. When I scratch/rub my leg/arm on the right side, I will sometimes get a burning sensation afterwards. My eye "droopiness" (which isn't really droopiness, from what I can see in the mirror) seems to get worse when I'm on the computer/in fluorescent lighting. From a health history perspective, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand/wrist, and have had several periods in my life where there is weakness/lack of dexterity. ALSO, about 7 years ago, I sustained a rather serious injury to my 5th lumbar when a "friend" bodyslammed me onto the concrete. I was unable to walk and, at times, my back would spasm so hard I would be unable to breathe. I sought chiropractice treatment and gradually began to get better, though my back still gives me problems at times. Finally, I have bursitis in my left knee which has recently and mysteriously flared up, despite the fact that I religiously stay off of my knees (how I got the bursitis in the first place...from gardening). Last winter, I got a strange nerve tingle in one buttock that lasted for several weeks. The doctor said it was a compression injury from sitting in the bathtub (which I do a lot in the depth of winter!). I'm starting to feel very scared that this could be something like MS. I don't THINK there's any weakness going on for REAL--I've been doing yoga (gently), taking walks, etc., but I feel CLUMSY or as though my body is shifting to one side, when my boyfriend swears to me it's NOT. My hips feel all out of whack--as though they're trying to go one way while the rest of my body wants to go the other. My right leg feels as though the muscles get extremely tight when I'm driving, and, the other night, my lower back started to spasm in bed. When I get really anxious about it (like I am right now), the pins & needles sensations increase, which makes me think those symptoms, at least, are related to anxiety. I've been trying to do the yoga/breathing exercises to keep myself calm and reassure myself that my body is still working, but the fact remains that something IS wrong.Do you think perhaps this is an issue of several nerve compression injuries from the length of time/way I've been sitting at the computer? I do NOT have insurance (screw you, community college system!), but there's a possibility that I can go to a free clinic. I just know that they'll brush it off as anxiety (what they did when I went in with swollen lymph nodes and a perfect CBC), but I really do think there's SOMETHING wrong. Does this SOUND like nerve compression? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? I feel like they'll probably go away on their own, but right now, I'm scared. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay active and keep away from the computer, but it's hard, because I teach some online courses in addition to my in-person classes, so I HAVE to be on the computer. And, obviously, I'm on the computer right now... :/Any help would be greatly appreciated.-KG
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi all...I'm trying not to flip myself out, but I know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also know that what I'm experiencing is real, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.A little background: I am 26 years old (female), and I have a history of debilitating anxiety problems. I usually manage them fairly well, but once I get going...well...I get going. A few weeks ago, my cat (who I love very much) got mysteriously ill and I got very depressed. I worked myself into a frenzy, certain he was going to die of some horrible disease. The vet didn't know what was wrong with him, but put him on antibiotics, and he got better. While all of this stress was going on, I was on the computer for hours every day (mostly every waking hour) researching his illness, doing my normal work (I'm a teacher), and playing games to distract myself from my anxiety. I was sitting on a wooden stool (no back) slumped over, body twisted to one side, with one leg tucked under me. Until yesterday, I was doing this everyday for the past three weeks. About two weeks ago, I started to notice that, in the evenings, my left leg would start to feel very heavy/weak. I don't think it actually IS weak, because I can still lift it up in the air and hold it, stand on it with my other leg raised, go up and down the stairs, run, etc. Then, two mornings ago, I woke up and noticed the entire right side of my body felt weak--from my feet all the way up to my right eye which FEELS droopy/heavy/blurry, but, visibly, is not. I also noticed that my right hand gets much colder than my left, and that I'm lacking my normal dexterity in my right hand. I've been having some "pins & needles"and intense "itching" sensations in different parts of my body. When I scratch/rub my leg/arm on the right side, I will sometimes get a burning sensation afterwards. My eye "droopiness" (which isn't really droopiness, from what I can see in the mirror) seems to get worse when I'm on the computer/in fluorescent lighting. From a health history perspective, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand/wrist, and have had several periods in my life where there is weakness/lack of dexterity. ALSO, about 7 years ago, I sustained a rather serious injury to my 5th lumbar when a "friend" bodyslammed me onto the concrete. I was unable to walk and, at times, my back would spasm so hard I would be unable to breathe. I sought chiropractice treatment and gradually began to get better, though my back still gives me problems at times. Finally, I have bursitis in my left knee which has recently and mysteriously flared up, despite the fact that I religiously stay off of my knees (how I got the bursitis in the first place...from gardening). Last winter, I got a strange nerve tingle in one buttock that lasted for several weeks. The doctor said it was a compression injury from sitting in the bathtub (which I do a lot in the depth of winter!). I'm starting to feel very scared that this could be something like MS. I don't THINK there's any weakness going on for REAL--I've been doing yoga (gently), taking walks, etc., but I feel CLUMSY or as though my body is shifting to one side, when my boyfriend swears to me it's NOT. My hips feel all out of whack--as though they're trying to go one way while the rest of my body wants to go the other. My right leg feels as though the muscles get extremely tight when I'm driving, and, the other night, my lower back started to spasm in bed. When I get really anxious about it (like I am right now), the pins & needles sensations increase, which makes me think those symptoms, at least, are related to anxiety. I've been trying to do the yoga/breathing exercises to keep myself calm and reassure myself that my body is still working, but the fact remains that something IS wrong.Do you think perhaps this is an issue of several nerve compression injuries from the length of time/way I've been sitting at the computer? I do NOT have insurance (screw you, community college system!), but there's a possibility that I can go to a free clinic. I just know that they'll brush it off as anxiety (what they did when I went in with swollen lymph nodes and a perfect CBC), but I really do think there's SOMETHING wrong. Does this SOUND like nerve compression? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? I feel like they'll probably go away on their own, but right now, I'm scared. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay active and keep away from the computer, but it's hard, because I teach some online courses in addition to my in-person classes, so I HAVE to be on the computer. And, obviously, I'm on the computer right now... :/Any help would be greatly appreciated.-KGHi KG,I see it's been a few years since you wrote your message and im wondering if you have found a diagnosis or not?..I have the same problem..I have debilitating anxiety as well and an extreme hypochondriac(s/c?)..I began to get intermittent heaviness/ numbness on my right side of body a little over three years ago..I mentioned it to my dr and they suggested me to stretch, do yoga, walk, basically exercise..I did all that and it seemed to get better..Well i still got it intermitently for a few years until 2 months ago..i had it for 11 days and believe me i freaked out..called all drs and neuro places and all..all bw came back normal as well as a cervical spine mri and brain mri..I'm so puzzled at what this could be?..I'm so scared and the fear of the unknown is starting to interfere with my everyday life and affecting my marriage..Please if you have found anything out or it has gotten better let me know..Thanks for your time, SS
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement