Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Shoulder Pain and Hand numbness

Posted In: Nerve conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: tanyabriner
  • January 21, 2009
  • 01:24 PM

I am getting desperate. I can't seem to get anyone to help me with this problem. About a year ago, I started having severe pain and burning in my right shoulder blade. At the same time, I am having numbness and pain shooting down the back of my right arm (around near my armpit as well) and numbness in my pinky and ring finger. There is also pain under my right collar bone that seems to radiate from my shoulder. I have tried muscle relaxers, ibuprofin, physical therapy and while all of this helped somewhat for a short period of time the pain continues. It is now at around an 8 on a scale of 1-10. I am very active with two teenagers and am starting to be a real drag to them because I am always in so much pain. Does anyone have a clue what this is?

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• I am getting desperate. I can't seem to get anyone to help me with this problem. About a year ago, I started having severe pain and burning in my right shoulder blade. At the same time, I am having numbness and pain shooting down the back of my right arm (around near my armpit as well) and numbness in my pinky and ring finger. There is also pain under my right collar bone that seems to radiate from my shoulder. I have tried muscle relaxers, ibuprofin, physical therapy and while all of this helped somewhat for a short period of time the pain continues. It is now at around an 8 on a scale of 1-10. I am very active with two teenagers and am starting to be a real drag to them because I am always in so much pain. Does anyone have a clue what this is?I have been having very similar issues. Esspecially at night, my right shoulder begins having a throbing burning pain, which moves down my arm and in to my last three fingers, which go numb. I have also tried everything i can think of, without result. sometimes the symtoms will leave on there own for a week or two but without fail return, and seem to be getting progressivly worse. have you had any luck since posting?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having very similar issues. Esspecially at night, my right shoulder begins having a throbing burning pain, which moves down my arm and in to my last three fingers, which go numb. I have also tried everything i can think of, without result. sometimes the symtoms will leave on there own for a week or two but without fail return, and seem to be getting progressivly worse. have you had any luck since posting?No luck. I am really at my wits end
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2009
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No luck. I am really at my wits endHave you seen a orthopedist or neurologist? They can check things out and order an MRI if necessary - your symptoms sound very similar to those involving the cervical or thoracic spine (stenosis and/or disc problems).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've been having very similar issue and Ill share what I know so far. The unlar nerve runs along the underside of your arm, it's the one you hit when you hit your funny bone. It is specific to your ring and pinky finger. it runs through the shoulder and is commonly piched there causing pain, parathesia, and weakness. My guess is that you need to see a Doc about it and probably need shoulder surgury. If the nerve is just trapped it's fixable with physical therapy or surgury. If it gets damaged there may be no fixing it. The longer you let it go the worse the chance it cannot be fixed. Go see a Doc! If they don't help you see another. Dont take no for an answer. Because it's nerve pain, the meds you were taking would not be to helpful. Hope this helps.
  • I've been having very similar issue and Ill share what I know so far. The unlar nerve runs along the underside of your arm, it's the one you hit when you hit your funny bone. It is specific to your ring and pinky finger. it runs through the shoulder and is commonly piched there causing pain, parathesia, and weakness. My guess is that you need to see a Doc about it and probably need shoulder surgury. If the nerve is just trapped it's fixable with physical therapy or surgury. If it gets damaged there may be no fixing it. The longer you let it go the worse the chance it cannot be fixed. Go see a Doc! If they don't help you see another. Dont take no for an answer. Because it's nerve pain, the meds you were taking would not be to helpful. Hope this helps.I have the same problem. I was in a car wreck two and a half years ago. After fighting shoulder and neck pain for months i finally found a doc to help me. During treatment, I started having hand numbness. Usually occuring during the night and waking me up in horrible pain and what I refer to as 'club hand.' The pain somewhat subsides when i rub the back side of my elbow and the outer muscle of my shoulder. This has recently been brought on by extreme use of my hands at work. tight grasping gives sharp knife like pains in the palm of my hand. I also find that sleeping with my shoulder falling backwardxs toward my spine helps. I recieved a corisone shot in my wrist for carpel tunnel syndrome but to no avail. I also had an EMG done on my forearm. After a while the numbness and pain subsides and is almost forgotten about. After many doc visits and drug trials I ended up having clavical decompression on my shoulder. Slight nerve damage was discovered but no treatment was administered. The sugeory help with my shoulder pain but the numbness in my hands returns quite often. As of right now I find it hard to type this message. Im to the point now where im going to have to go back to the doc and prob take some time off work untill i can use my left hand again. ive lokked at CTS, tennis elbow or cubital tunnel, and thoracic outlet syndrome. But tryn to tell a doc your diagnosis is like telln a child not to do that, they just dont listen. if anyone can help, i would greatly appreciate it. thank you --- Ian C ---castetter@hotmail.com
  • Have you considered going to see a chiropractor? After getting the run around from three different MDs I finally found a chiropractor who has been a God-send. I had very similar symptoms, and only through chiropractic adjustments can I get any lasting relief. Took a few treatments in the beginning, but I hardly ever need treatment now. The numbness is completely gone, and pain is rare, and at a very tolerable level.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 10:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having very similar issues. Esspecially at night, my right shoulder begins having a throbing burning pain, which moves down my arm and in to my last three fingers, which go numb. I have also tried everything i can think of, without result. sometimes the symtoms will leave on there own for a week or two but without fail return, and seem to be getting progressivly worse. have you had any luck since posting?I have been having a very similar problem but in my left arm. There is a burning pain in my shoulder and left side of my lower neck that is a shooting/burning pain down to my elbow and numbness/weakness in my left hand manily index middle and ring finger. The focus of the pain in my case seems to be slightly above the left elbow, middle of my tricep and lower left side of my neck. Occasionally I will have a warming sensation throughout my arm. Ibuprofen, aspirin, and daypro do absolutely nothing for the pain. when I am sitting in a chair at my desk it is horribly painful and sleeping is a similar endeavor. I have not been able to get any answers either and have been Googling trying to find some answers because it seems to be getting worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2010
    • 09:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having a very similar problem but in my left arm. There is a burning pain in my shoulder and left side of my lower neck that is a shooting/burning pain down to my elbow and numbness/weakness in my left hand manily index middle and ring finger. The focus of the pain in my case seems to be slightly above the left elbow, middle of my tricep and lower left side of my neck. Occasionally I will have a warming sensation throughout my arm. Ibuprofen, aspirin, and daypro do absolutely nothing for the pain. when I am sitting in a chair at my desk it is horribly painful and sleeping is a similar endeavor. I have not been able to get any answers either and have been Googling trying to find some answers because it seems to be getting worse.I am going through the samething 8/10 shoulder surgery on right shoulder do to work now numbness in hand as of 9/10 and now neck and left hand 10/10 and not getting anwser from my dr. I don't know if it was from the nerve block they did or hit a nerve when I had the surgery because I have never had my hands or neck do this. I'm getting worried. Now the dr. gave me MELOXICAM plus PT 3 days a week and said lets see what this does but still nothing. Does anybody have answers to the numbness happening? All I am finding for answers is Brachial Plexopathy. If so many people are having this problem after the nerve block and shoulder surgery you would think they would have answers to the numbness questions
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2010
    • 04:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am going through the samething 8/10 shoulder surgery on right shoulder do to work now numbness in hand as of 9/10 and now neck and left hand 10/10 and not getting anwser from my dr. I don't know if it was from the nerve block they did or hit a nerve when I had the surgery because I have never had my hands or neck do this. I'm getting worried. Now the dr. gave me MELOXICAM plus PT 3 days a week and said lets see what this does but still nothing. Does anybody have answers to the numbness happening? All I am finding for answers is Brachial Plexopathy. If so many people are having this problem after the nerve block and shoulder surgery you would think they would have answers to the numbness questionsFrom Marty:I had a torn rotator cuff repair on 10/11/10. The doctor said I should now 10/20 start pendulum excercises. When I take my arm out of the sling and Let It Hang straight down I get a very sharp pain in the back of my hand and wrist. If I try to extend my hand and arm down, the pain gets even worse. It feels like an electric shock and lasts for almost 10 secondsso I lift my arm. I called the Dr. and he said it should go away before too ling and if it doesn't he will prescribe muscle relaxants.Marty
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2010
    • 07:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am going through the samething 8/10 shoulder surgery on right shoulder do to work now numbness in hand as of 9/10 and now neck and left hand 10/10 and not getting anwser from my dr. I don't know if it was from the nerve block they did or hit a nerve when I had the surgery because I have never had my hands or neck do this. I'm getting worried. Now the dr. gave me MELOXICAM plus PT 3 days a week and said lets see what this does but still nothing. Does anybody have answers to the numbness happening? All I am finding for answers is Brachial Plexopathy. If so many people are having this problem after the nerve block and shoulder surgery you would think they would have answers to the numbness questionsi also had shoulder surgery last year with a nerve block just had another mri yesterday my finger go numb also little finger and ring finger r/arm will let you know what i find out
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2011
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am going through the samething 8/10 shoulder surgery on right shoulder do to work now numbness in hand as of 9/10 and now neck and left hand 10/10 and not getting anwser from my dr. I don't know if it was from the nerve block they did or hit a nerve when I had the surgery because I have never had my hands or neck do this. I'm getting worried. Now the dr. gave me MELOXICAM plus PT 3 days a week and said lets see what this does but still nothing. Does anybody have answers to the numbness happening? All I am finding for answers is Brachial Plexopathy. If so many people are having this problem after the nerve block and shoulder surgery you would think they would have answers to the numbness questionsI am having the same symptoms. I was also put on MELOXICAM but to no avail. I was awoken to a loud cracking sound from my should about a month ago and now my right arm is also "sleeping" and I have a constant pain behind my right shoulder blade that originally felt like a knot. I'm desperate for answers though my doctor doesn't want to do anything because I still have good strength in my arm/hand.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2011
    • 02:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i also had shoulder surgery last year with a nerve block just had another mri yesterday my finger go numb also little finger and ring finger r/arm will let you know what i find outi have had same symptoms off and on for about 2 years. Right shoulder blade that feels like someone i sticking a ice pick all the way through to my chest,right neck pain and right pinky and ring finger numbness. Finally yesterday i went to a chiropractor and he told me i had a dislocated rib...gave me an adjustment and other than being sore all of my symptoms are gone!!!!!! Hope this helps!!!
  • I have had similar issues for about 4 years now. My shoulder got real tight and then finally popped real loudly one day. Then it started to do it all the time, and it hurts so bad that i get migraines from the tension built up. Also, at night especially my hand will get numb and tingly. I am now involved in the healthcare community, and i am starting to understand much more about what is causing this. My professional opinion is this: It is most likely related to the tendon that runs between your humerus and and scapula getting pinched. This can happen because of bursitis in that area, very common, and this can cause associated problems with the nerves running through there as well. You need to see a chiropractor with experience specifically in shoulder problems or a skilled osteopath. I am personally going with the osteopath because they will look at your overall health and anything else that may be associated with this. Just make sure you find a good one!
  • From Marty:I had a torn rotator cuff repair on 10/11/10. The doctor said I should now 10/20 start pendulum excercises. When I take my arm out of the sling and Let It Hang straight down I get a very sharp pain in the back of my hand and wrist. If I try to extend my hand and arm down, the pain gets even worse. It feels like an electric shock and lasts for almost 10 secondsso I lift my arm. I called the Dr. and he said it should go away before too ling and if it doesn't he will prescribe muscle relaxants.MartyTo Marty from Tony,I have the same symtoms you describe, after having rt shoulder mumford procedure 31 days ago. If i extend my arm/hand fully down i get the excruciating shock pain. My surgeon says there is nothing she can do, just wait for time to pass and see if it gets better. Are you feeling better now?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement