Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

severe pain under ribs on right side

Posted In: Urinary conditions 22 Replies
  • Posted By: sundaygirl
  • January 17, 2009
  • 02:09 PM

i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar? I would say get tested for kidney infection, and soon so if it is it doesn't go into the blood. They can be extrememly painful
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I wouldn't totally rule out your gallbladder because of your age or weight, it can happen to anyone really-- especially with family history. Does it hurt more when you breath in or out? I thought you might want to check out pleurisy if it does....it can be very painful. The nausea can be from pain.What about your appendix? Did your doc palpate (feel) the area? Do you have a fever? Where exactly on your body does it hurt? Next to you belly button or above, under the ribs?It could also be your ovaries if you are female. Are your cycles normal, if you are female? There are so many things that can cause pain like you describe....don't let your doc brush you off, this could potentially be serious. Be sure he rules out appendicitis.
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • Stop eating Sucralose and Splenda!! Please it is chlorine and it is causing this pain. Read your labels and avoid it at all costs. Also drink filtered or distilled water- tap has high concentrations of chlorine too, which can add to your already intoxicated state. search the youtube, facebook and web in general for information. The symptoms are there for you to find! Read !!Get better soon, glarstout
    founddog 188 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ask your doctor if they did a urine culture. If they did and it came back positive then you have a UTI, if it came back negative, then they should be looking for other reasons. Here are a few things to look into: Liver problems (ask for a liverpanel)Colitis (give them a stool sample for starters and ask for a barrium x-ray at the least)Gallbladder (they can use ultrasound for both liver and gallstones) Also you should make sure they take your wbcc, crp and sed rate. Kiera
  • i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?Age and weight does not mean that it can't be you gallbladder. I was 17 when I had mine removed and I had the same symptoms you have.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 09:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?Hello, I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was at the beginning of this year? I have been experiancing very similar symptoms the past 10 days. I have been to the ER 3 times, seen 5 doctors, 2 nurse practioners with no diagnosis. The best anybody has told me is that 30% of all abdominal pain doctors see goes diagnosed as unknown. I am hoping for some insight from someone who has also gone through this pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 06:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?Not true. My daughter was 15 when she had her gallbladder removed. She was diagnosed at 14, but had these symptoms since she was 9! I knew from the beginning because I had mine taken out earlier. If you feel pain in the top abdomen and goes into the right of your back, that's the feeling of gallbladder pain.Good luck and don't let them tell you what you feel.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a cousin that had problem with her liver when she was younger. If I remember correctly she was 20 year old when she had this issue. She used to drink back at that time. She started getting sick every time she drank. When she had to hospital she was diagnosed. But fortunately she didn't had to take her gallbladder out, she just stopped drinking and she was all better. From that time she never had a glass of alcohol.
    Clear-sky 76 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 03:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?Have you recently had a tooth filled / or cracked on your right side of your mouth especially a molar ?? Root Canal needed ??This may be dental related pain
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2010
    • 06:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had a severe pain (bringing me to the point of crying and screaming when at its worst) under my ribs on the right side for seven days. i have NO pain when urinating and no urgency to urinate. my doctor has diagnosed a bladder infection, i have had one before and it was nothing like this. the pain is worst at night waking me up and continuing for a couple of hours. paracetamol doesn't help. heat does a help little but the sticky heat patches aren't hot enough it has to be really hot to make any difference (i.e. only a hot water bottle with no cover). i feel very weak and tired and am extremely nauseated and have completely lost my appetite (possibly why im so weak). my uncle said he felt the same when he had gallbladder problems my gp says gallbladder is impossible as i am 21 and of normal weight. i really don't think it is a bladder infection, has anyone else experienced anything similar?Don't let your Dr fob you off with "it can't be your gallbladder because your too young", that's a load of bull! and she/he is obviously misinformed and not kept up to date! Gallbladder problems can affect any age although it is rare in young children. it sounds to me like you may have gallstone, this link may help http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/gallstones.html#1Personally I would tell your Dr that your going to get a 2nd opinion (which you're entitled to get) from any Dr outside the practice your with.
  • I have been watching your thread because I have had what seems to be the same pains. Periodically (about every 2-3 weeks) pain strikes hard, just under the ribs on the right side. Frequently that pain will radiate into my back. I have been to many doctors as this has been going on for 3 years now. Heat can help although not garanteed to alleviate the pain. The Gastroenterologist removed the gallbladder and the pains are still occuring. Could it be liver? Would it help my liver to take in nothing but water for a day or two?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Have been sick since Nov. 2009. Went through scopes of every orfice. Multiple ultra sounds. Soooo many medications. Now new pain as of 2 days. Can't sleep, found you, I know I have a hernia pushing part of my stomach into my chest and that they have to remove a lower part of it. But what is up with this new pain? No diabetes, ciliac, blah blah blah
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2010
    • 02:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Never rule out anyuthing i didnt have any symptoms from my gallbladder but found out i had tons of stones... when they where checking my kidneys for stones...It Could even be IBS u will get pain from it..espcially if u eat fatty foods.. it could even be your appedix.. start drinking Cranberry juice and plenty of water if your that worried beg your dr to keep testing you for things... i hope your doing better..soon..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 5, 2010
    • 05:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi was wondering if you ever found out what it was i am having very similar painPains in my ribs, sickness, dizzyness, tiredness, can't drink or eat always sleeping ... Doctor says i have indigestion i do not believe this and have been on tablets for last week no signs of wind, my chest is always tight and find it extremely difficult to breathe, pain rating from 1 to 10 sticks at 9.5 ... I am a smoker, and i do drink spirits
  • Hi was wondering if you ever found out what it was i am having very similar painPains in my ribs, sickness, dizzyness, tiredness, can't drink or eat always sleeping ... Doctor says i have indigestion i do not believe this and have been on tablets for last week no signs of wind, my chest is always tight and find it extremely difficult to breathe, pain rating from 1 to 10 sticks at 9.5 ... I am a smoker, and i do drink spiritsa smoker=my chest is always tight+extremely difficult to breatheI would quit smoking and see if perhaps you get better?
    founddog 188 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was at the beginning of this year? I have been experiancing very similar symptoms the past 10 days. I have been to the ER 3 times, seen 5 doctors, 2 nurse practioners with no diagnosis. The best anybody has told me is that 30% of all abdominal pain doctors see goes diagnosed as unknown. I am hoping for some insight from someone who has also gone through this pain.Hello I to was wondering if anyone has told you anything, for I to have been suffering for a week and been to the er 2 times and my doctor twice and done all these test that show nothing. I no longer have my appendix, no female parts, and no gallbalder and also was no kidney infection, so all the dr's do is send me home but the pain is continuing to get worse and I just want an answer. I wish someone could help me my pain is exactly right below my right rib and sometimes when i take a breath it hurts so bad. I just hate for people to look at me like I am dumb.!
  • Try googling "Costochondritis" to see if the symptoms apply to you. It's a sharp chest pain in your ribs due to inflammation of the cartilage. I used to get this when I was a kid.I ran across this symptom while doing research into vitamin D deficiency/celiac disease, hypothyroidism, and chronic UTI symptoms. Many of the people who had both vit D deficiency and hypothyroid conditions reported this kind of pain. Other posters suggested pleurisy as another possible cause.You might also look into parathyroid and calcium levels (high blood calcium can cause heart problems and high blood pressure), and your magnesium levels (check via red blood cells rather than blood serum, magnesium deficiency is linked to mitral valve heart problems).I'm not a doctor, just trying to help give you some info I came across in my own research so you can check for yourself.
  • I had my gall bladder removed at age 13 due to gall stones.I dont think age has anything to do with it.
  • Hello I am a type 1 diabetic.. I have the same problem (pain under right rib cage).. but I've already had my gall bladder taken out.. I have the same pain ONLY when I empty my bladder..its not all the time but its starting to become more frequent. I've had a Upper and lower GI done.. cat scans, everything you can possible imagine. And still till this day no one can figure out what is going on... SOME ONE PLEASE HELP. Not true. My daughter was 15 when she had her gallbladder removed. She was diagnosed at 14, but had these symptoms since she was 9! I knew from the beginning because I had mine taken out earlier. If you feel pain in the top abdomen and goes into the right of your back, that's the feeling of gallbladder pain.Good luck and don't let them tell you what you feel.
  • [You might need to check out something called chondritis . Can cause your symptoms and pain in centre of ribs too at the cartilidge. hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2011
    • 05:49 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement