Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Lower left rib swelling and pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 15, 2009
  • 05:53 PM

24 yr old female/ slender. MVP and arrythmias otherwise healthy.

I had pain about 2 years ago in my lower left rib and that how I noticed that it was actually sticking out/swollen. About a week or two later I went to the E.R because it hurt so bad I could hardly walk. The doctor was ready to leave for the day and said "oh, its just they way you're shaped". I was shocked that she could be so ignorant. I bathe this body everyday I would now if thats "just the way" I'm shaped. And WHY does it hurt. I left and it's been hurting off and on ever since with the "sticking out" remaining the same. I don't really want to see someone else just to be made a fool of again. Does anyone have any ideas? Could a swollen spleen or adrenal gland cause the rib to protrude and hurt? Oh, and I have had chostochodritis before but that is sternum pain, I dont think it goes this low...

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• I would go see an osteologist, or if you got some xrays for it in the ER you should get copies of those and send them to someone else to evaluate.ER Doctors have a tendency to rush people out of the hospital if they don't see something that is life threatening. It's very unlikely that your spleen is enlarged the organs are soft tissues and they are probably not going to deform bone. Think of alcoholics with enlarged livers. There are lots of possibilities so I don't think someone can solve this for you without a proper xray. Off the top of my head it could be a bone infection, or parathyroid hormone problems.
    nckmorris 53 Replies
    • January 16, 2009
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel certain that you have a separated rib(from where it's normally attached).It is quite painful,and I'm not sure what to do about it,but it isn't serious.No,your organs didn't push it out.You could have coughed or picked something up wrong.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 16, 2009
    • 02:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the replies. When at the E.R she never took xrays. She simply touched it and said you're fine-bye. I've heard of bone infection-sounds a little possible. About the seperated rib-that sounds more possible but wouldn't that hurt all the time like a broken rib? This pain just comes and goes alot like costochondritis, but it's a different kind of pain and to far from the sternum. That parathyroid hormone problem you talking about can cause bone "lumps" because of the calcium stuff right? Also I dont know if it's related to this at all but my whole like I have had horrible spells of knee pain with swelling (no redness) just above the knee cap. I was told growing up it was growing pains, I knew they were wrong, I was then told Chondramalasia and did months of wasted therapy bfore proving it wasnt that with an mri and the finally gave up and said they dont know. The doc told me to go to the E.R next time it happens so they can extract fluid from the swelling, (I think to check for gout) and so I did go at about 3 am one night and the E.R doc said they couldnt do that without a script, in which I was never given. So I pretty much gave up on that too....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2009
    • 05:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It would hurt when you made certain moves but not all the time.
    • January 16, 2009
    • 06:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh,and it can be a few inches from the sternum.
    • January 16, 2009
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What could be a few inches from the sternum? The chostochondritis or the seperated rib?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2009
    • 06:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The separated rib:cartilage makes up a lot of the lower ribs so that the rib itself might be a few inches from the strenum.
    • January 17, 2009
    • 06:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, well I'll bet at the docs hopefully this week or next. I have to find a new pcp because my old one closed (He wasnt that good anyway=p) When I find something out, I will post the results=) Thanks for your help... God Bless
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 01:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would like you to know that you are not alone! Ohhh my goodness. I have been researching this for quite some time, because I too have a protruding lower left rib that hurts me terribly. Went to ER SEVERAL times as well as a urologist, a thoracic surgeon, a general surgeon, an ob/gyn... and I THINK that's it.I can tell you that if they want to see the rib, they are going to need to look at it on a CT... that is the ONLY way they were able to finally see mine. Unfortunately, I have no answer for you as to what is wrong. I have been told endometriosis, costochondritis, kidney stones (which I do have, but they are on the opposing side of the body), etc.I am not sure WHAT is wrong with me. I noticed the pain before noticing the hideous protrusiiion... it is REALLY wierd looking.I wonder if you can contact me.ashley nikole 826 @ yahoo . com no spaces.I would really love to talk to someone else going through the same thing.I am 23.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement