Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Weird poking feeling Navel/belly.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: CUTEGAL
  • January 14, 2009
  • 02:13 AM

I am a 34 year old female and have these poking movements for about a while now. It feels like a baby is kicking near my navel. It's not even painful but very annoying & sporadic. The movement is on the right side of my navel or below it and moves like something is inside of me. .And sometimes when it happens it's like it when I lay on my back, I can see my pulse, but the movement in my stomach does not feel like a pulse or when sitting down...Feels like a poke . An I'm not pregnant....what could this be? :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• i have the same feeling and im pretty sure im not pregnant....i think it could be to do with irritable bowl syndrome but not 100% xx
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • From a purely anatomical standpoint, I'm presuming that when you say "stomach" that you are referring to your belly. The stomach lies in the upper left quadrant. The most common cause of movement sensations under the skin that can be observed as as well felt are related to musculoskeletal issues such as muscle spasm due to weak abdominal musculature. If the sensation is felt deeper within the abdomen, then it's remotely possible that you have a small kink in your bowel or intestine that can cause movement due to gas within the lumen of the intestine or colon that is being compressed by peristalsis. Often transient, this type of phenomen is usually self-correcting but can sometimes cause stricture. Since the visceral cavity and intestines lack sensory nerve architecture, the condition is most often painless. The ability to observe the abdominal aortic pulse is quite common and does not represent pathology of any type. My initial impression is that your symptoms are muscular in origin and likely due to weak abdominal structure. The spasms or movement will most often occur when lying flat because when standing or sitting, the abdominals are at work helping to hold the torso in an upright position and if weaknened, will demonstrate fatigue and spasm. If symptoms persist for 2 weeks or there is a change in symptoms, I would recommend having a CT scan. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies Flag this Response
  • This happens to me also. When I am flat on my back I can occasional feel and see it.I have noticed that it only happens when I haven't gone #2 in a while and I am gassy. I have never thought much of it b/c it doesnt hurt at all.Probably just some gas! ;)
    LT8605 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • JCottleMD,Thanks for the info. I have never gotten that much explaination. Thanks again most helpful.
  • From a purely anatomical standpoint, I'm presuming that when you say "stomach" that you are referring to your belly. The stomach lies in the upper left quadrant. The most common cause of movement sensations under the skin that can be observed as as well felt are related to musculoskeletal issues such as muscle spasm due to weak abdominal musculature. If the sensation is felt deeper within the abdomen, then it's remotely possible that you have a small kink in your bowel or intestine that can cause movement due to gas within the lumen of the intestine or colon that is being compressed by peristalsis. Often transient, this type of phenomen is usually self-correcting but can sometimes cause stricture. Since the visceral cavity and intestines lack sensory nerve architecture, the condition is most often painless. The ability to observe the abdominal aortic pulse is quite common and does not represent pathology of any type. My initial impression is that your symptoms are muscular in origin and likely due to weak abdominal structure. The spasms or movement will most often occur when lying flat because when standing or sitting, the abdominals are at work helping to hold the torso in an upright position and if weaknened, will demonstrate fatigue and spasm. If symptoms persist for 2 weeks or there is a change in symptoms, I would recommend having a CT scan. Best regards, J Cottle, MDTotally know what you mean!Except, i feel it more around my waist, on the rightSometimes it is just annoying, but other times it's really painful, it happened while I was on stage, doing a scene, I doubled over and was in very plain sight, not good.It's been happening randomly for about 7 months, I don't think it is a pulled muscle as I have finished my Physical A Levels (Dance etc) and have done pretty much nothing, I'm quite worried.Any suggestions?
  • Totally know what you mean!Except, i feel it more around my waist, on the rightSometimes it is just annoying, but other times it's really painful, it happened while I was on stage, doing a scene, I doubled over and was in very plain sight, not good.It's been happening randomly for about 7 months, I don't think it is a pulled muscle as I have finished my Physical A Levels (Dance etc) and have done pretty much nothing, I'm quite worried.Any suggestions?I am not a doctor, but I was having similar symptoms for the past few years. It finally became a constant feeling for about a week. I was sent by my PCP to the ER because he thought it might be my appendix rupturing(chronic appendicitis). I had many tests done, but the CT scan showed that I have ovarian cysts. You might want to get talk to your doctor and see if that is a possibility.Hope this helped!
    BellaNoche 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am not a doctor, but I was having similar symptoms for the past few years. It finally became a constant feeling for about a week. I was sent by my PCP to the ER because he thought it might be my appendix rupturing(chronic appendicitis). I had many tests done, but the CT scan showed that I have ovarian cysts. You might want to get talk to your doctor and see if that is a possibility.Hope this helped!Hi as i'am sitting right now i feel the poking again. right now,So you guys says it only happen when you laid donw on your back,but for me when i'am sitting down.so what is this? i mean if is a baby kicking me, i don't think so cause i got my period last month and i'am only 23 yrs old..so any idea?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement