Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Pain when bending knee????

Posted In: Muscle conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: CantBendKnee
  • January 11, 2009
  • 04:18 PM

I do alot of work on my computer and have a habit of sitting on one of my feet....when you bend your knee and sit on your foot/ankle almost like half crosslegged. I noticed when sitting that way for a few hours, I had a slight pain in my knee. I stopped sitting that way but the pain got worse over the next day or two.
This has been almost 2 months ago and I cannot bend my knee all the way back. When I bend it past about 100 degrees, I get a tightness/pain close to the back of my knee. If I try to force my knee to bend all the way, I get this excruciating pain. I can bend it all the way to sit cross legged without pain, just when I bend it straight back do I get that difficulty bending it.
It isnt a torn maniscus....I have no stability problems and no visible signs of anything (no bruising or anything) and have no problems walking (except when walking for over an hour, it gets worse, the point where I can bend it decreases)
ANY help is MUCH appreciated!!! PLEASE, if ANYONE knows anything about what this might be, PLEASE let me know!!
Thank you!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I do alot of work on my computer and have a habit of sitting on one of my feet....when you bend your knee and sit on your foot/ankle almost like half crosslegged. I noticed when sitting that way for a few hours, I had a slight pain in my knee. I stopped sitting that way but the pain got worse over the next day or two. This has been almost 2 months ago and I cannot bend my knee all the way back. When I bend it past about 100 degrees, I get a tightness/pain close to the back of my knee. If I try to force my knee to bend all the way, I get this excruciating pain. I can bend it all the way to sit cross legged without pain, just when I bend it straight back do I get that difficulty bending it. It isnt a torn maniscus....I have no stability problems and no visible signs of anything (no bruising or anything) and have no problems walking (except when walking for over an hour, it gets worse, the point where I can bend it decreases)ANY help is MUCH appreciated!!! PLEASE, if ANYONE knows anything about what this might be, PLEASE let me know!!Thank you!I have the exact same sympton as what CantBendKnee described. Does anyone have a suggested answer? Thanks.
    leon63 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • What type of pain is it (burning, sharp, dull, etc)?I ask because to me it sounds like by sitting on your foot with your knee bent you compressed your peroneal nerve. Check into peroneal entrapment or peroneal neuritis. Nerve pain is pretty specific though (burning, tingling, numb, SHARP, intense, etc). If it's dull and achy I would think it were something else. It could be going on for so long because every time you bend your knee or have it up against the back of a chair or something it gets compressed again, thus re-irritating it. Ice helps. Try resting and ice.
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • HI, I am a physical theapist. You could be pinching something, either a nerve or the posterior capsule of the knee. Generally pain behind the knee is associated with a baker's cyst ( to learn more go to http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/Bakers-Cyst.html ). A baker's syst could cause knee flexion restriction. And, although you are not having any instability issues, if the pain is only at the end of knee flexion it still could be related to the posterior horn of the meniscus (see http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/meniscus-tear.html ) To be honest, if it is only causing pain when you bend your knee in specific positions I would simply avoid that position, apply ice to the back of your knee 10 minutes at a time a couple times a day, and wait for it to improve. Some times using a stationary bike can help to improve the mobility of the knee. The good news is that since your symptoms are limited to a very specific position it doesn't sound like a significant mechanical issue. If symptoms persist, go see an orthopedic doctor. Hope this help. ~JTrempe PT, ATChttp://www.joint-pain-solutions.com
    JTrempe 101 Replies
    • August 17, 2010
    • 01:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What type of pain is it (burning, sharp, dull, etc)?I ask because to me it sounds like by sitting on your foot with your knee bent you compressed your peroneal nerve. Check into peroneal entrapment or peroneal neuritis. Nerve pain is pretty specific though (burning, tingling, numb, SHARP, intense, etc). If it's dull and achy I would think it were something else. It could be going on for so long because every time you bend your knee or have it up against the back of a chair or something it gets compressed again, thus re-irritating it. Ice helps. Try resting and ice.Hi,I am also having same problem .Pain is very Sharp and itense when we try to bend knee.Please Help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm overweight and had just started walking and losing weight when I got that pain behind my knee, I rested it for 3 weeks, no help. I searched everywhere for help on this and found a miracle! I used the technique of Push, pull, release on the muscle and within 2 minutes I had relief. The pain went from a 9 to a 1. Seriously. I was soooo happy I had to share. If it works for you, donate to his site, he's the only one who solved my problem. Watch the videoshttp://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/pain-in-back-of-knee.html
    Cinz123 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement