Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

11-year-old chronic headaches, stomachaches, fever, foot cramps...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: kilakiwi
  • January 6, 2009
  • 05:46 PM

My 11-year-old son has chronic:
headaches (diagnosed as migraine, but no migraine meds work),
intense stomachaches,
low-grade fever (99.9-100.9), though when he feels well it's +-98.4,
foot cramps,
high platelets/hemoglobin (but not extremely high, just consistently above average),
fatigue/listlessness

He has missed so much school that we homeschool now. He's seen in ER 1-4 times per month for the headaches and stomachaches. Narcotics relieve the pain for a few hours, then it's back. Midrin is the only non-narcotic that helps at all with the headaches.

He has had neuro workups, blood workups, GI tests, and psych eval. The psych says he has anxiety and depression and is treating with Effexor which helped the headaches a bit until the rains began. (Migraines do run in our family)

He had Mononeucleosis at age 5, and has been a self-determined vegetarian since he was 3. He also tested positive for Celiac, but biopsies were normal. He is tall for his age, but has lost 10+ lbs over the last few months. His tonsils and adenoids were removed 3 years ago.

We have good hospitals and an excellent family practice doc, but no one can tell us what is wrong or what to do next. If anyone has experience with this range of symptoms and can suggest something practical that would help my son, I would sure appreciate your thoughts.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement