Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Swollen roof of mouth + intense pain = ? (HELP!)

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 6, 2009
  • 06:13 AM

So I was eating my dinner today, and reaching the end of my meal, in the last 3-4 bites, I started to have severe pain in the roof of my mouth. At first I thought I just needed a sip of water, so I finished my food then went to go get some water, and the pain got worse and worse, until I couldn't hardly stand it. It felt like my body weight, every pound, had inverted, and was all sitting on the roof of my mouth. I think it was swollen, but I couldn't tell for sure since it felt so heavy anyways. When I looked it my mirror, it seemed like the back left corner of my upper jaw had a ellipses shaped swollen spot, but again, I'm not sure. It felt like someone had poured acid on my tonsils. My temples felt like they would pop. The pressure on the roof of my mouth was so painful and intense it literally knocked the wind out of me, and I tried to cry out, but I couldn't get any air in or out. I have never felt pain like that in my life. It felt like a really intense pressure, similar to a migraine, but mixed with a sharper sensation I can't describe. It was honestly some of the worst pain I've ever felt. And it came on in a matter of seconds. I chugged water, trying to numb it with the cold liquid (it hurt so bad and I was so panicked it was the only thing I could think to do), but any movement whatsoever made it 10x worse. Putting pressure on the roof of my mouth was also extremely painful, especially in the top left half. Like I said, in a matter of seconds the pain was so severe I could hardly breathe. Then, it slowly faded over the course of 20 minutes. I ate again a little later, and a similar thing happened, just much, MUCH less severe.

I had some issues with my wisdom teeth, which I'm getting out soon, but they haven't been bothering me much lately. I'm not allergic to any foods (that I know of), and what I was eating, though a different brand, was the same kind of thing I normally eat.

So, in summary:

Sudden, intensely painful swelling of the roof of mouth, accompanied by feeling of extreme pressure.

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• I have been having the same symptoms for more than a year. It will happen right away and I have to stop everything, wait for it to completely pass and then I can continue with my meal. It usually doesn't last 20 minutes, 5 at the most. I have seen a doctor about it but as of right now they do not know what it is. Have you had any luck?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please help me figgure out what it is. I have the same EXACT thing. It started when I ate.. but listen to this.. I had this before a few times but it went away after 20 mins- an hour. Then I ate Sunday... It happened but I was so hungry I guess I didn't wait enough minutes to let the severe pain settle.. Please don't do THIS!!! As I kept eating my lower lip began to swell up, my roof was so painful... IT LASTED HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it's Tuesday and I have severe aching swelling pain still... It's only in the roof of my mouth.. It's from when it started Sunday.. Not because I ate again after the day was over... So here I am on pain killers, my lip went down monday, but it hurts SOOOOOOOO BADDDDDD. It wakes me up at night. I know it's because I continued to eat anyways.. It never went away! SO just a tip there! I went to the dentist, (not the doc) and he said I have a root canal on the top left.. Well I have had one before but this pain NEVER happened.. I didn't even realize I had a root canal before.. I have exactly what you describe, it happened while eating, so hard to swallow, then it lasts awhile.. Severe aching, throbing, mingrainish, spliting, sharp pain.. but mine has lasted days now.. =[[ I just got on antibiotics today for the sake of it trying to kill the infection.. Now I have to go in for a root canal while in this pain tomorrow. The thing is, I don't even think it's related to the root canal. I didn't even eat hot food.. I ate a sandwich. Only thing I can think of is that it does tend to only happen the day after I drink, so it happens sundays.. but not every sunday.. but yes after the days I drink. Do you have any root canals you know of, or anything? If you don't have any root canals then I am positive I am right that it has nothing to do with the root canal. PLZ someone reply that has experienced this, or a follow up would be nice for some comfort. It wakes me up at nights! =[
    amairela 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have this too. It happened in the past when I ate Murray Oatmeal cookies but only then so I do not eat them. Yesterday I ate Pita Chips with sea salt and lemon hommus and it happened pretty bad and then I ate dinner which was dirty rice. I kept having to wait for the swelling to go down before I could finish eating. I ate a cinnamon roll this morning and then some cheese today and both times it did this. I do have allergies but this is not consistent. I do not have dental problems though and just saw my dentist. Any suggestions?
  • this happens to me a lot. It hasnt happened to me in a while, so I was hoping to get some information as well. It happened to me twice today while eating. The pain is so bad I cant eat, I have to wait for it to go away b4 I can finish my food. I find if I press really hard and rub on the roof of my mouth it makes the pain go away quicker. Almost like rubbing a sore muscle. I really wish someone had an answer to this atleast we know were not alone lol
  • I experience the same thing which is so so painful. I only ever seem to suffer with this the days after i drink too. ive noticed that it's always when im dieting, maybe im cutting something out of my diet that the body needs ie fat, sugar or carbs, sounds strange but it is the only time it happens.Please help me figgure out what it is. I have the same EXACT thing. It started when I ate.. but listen to this.. I had this before a few times but it went away after 20 mins- an hour. Then I ate Sunday... It happened but I was so hungry I guess I didn't wait enough minutes to let the severe pain settle.. Please don't do THIS!!! As I kept eating my lower lip began to swell up, my roof was so painful... IT LASTED HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it's Tuesday and I have severe aching swelling pain still... It's only in the roof of my mouth.. It's from when it started Sunday.. Not because I ate again after the day was over... So here I am on pain killers, my lip went down monday, but it hurts SOOOOOOOO BADDDDDD. It wakes me up at night. I know it's because I continued to eat anyways.. It never went away! SO just a tip there! I went to the dentist, (not the doc) and he said I have a root canal on the top left.. Well I have had one before but this pain NEVER happened.. I didn't even realize I had a root canal before.. I have exactly what you describe, it happened while eating, so hard to swallow, then it lasts awhile.. Severe aching, throbing, mingrainish, spliting, sharp pain.. but mine has lasted days now.. =
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2009
    • 05:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this happen to me once or twice before in the past, but it would happen after my first bite of a particularly dry food (maybe because i was straining to swallow?) and then it would go away. This weekend I had a horrible case. Every time I have eaten anything for the past two days the pain has been so incredible I have not been able to finish meals and have had almost migraine like symptoms with the swelling of the roof of my mouth. I have been reading all over the internet and its seems as though no one has a real answer. I did read one gentleman's response on another message board and he thought it was related to water in the sinuses. I know this is kind of gross, but I was sick one morning this weekend and vomited several times and it has been happening since then. I think maybe its a combination of irritating my sinuses from throwing up and now it seems I am coming down with a cold and have the beginning signs of a sinus infection. It must have something to do with the sinuses, because having a sinus infection is the worst, most painful thing ever. I bet drinking lots of water, hot tea, drinking soup and gargling with warm salty water would help. I experience the same thing which is so so painful. I only ever seem to suffer with this the days after i drink too. ive noticed that it's always when im dieting, maybe im cutting something out of my diet that the body needs ie fat, sugar or carbs, sounds strange but it is the only time it happens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2010
    • 04:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This happens to me usually when I'm not hydrated enough. Did you make sure your completely hydrated?
  • Swelling in pallette or roof of the mouth is a fairly common problem. This is minor allergic reaction individuals have for generally two primary reasons. First and less common is a food allergy. Second and far more common is an inflammation due to dehyration. You may experience this more often in the morning as your body is lacking in hydration. Eating dry or salty foods can intensify this reaction.
  • I have had this happen to me once or twice before in the past, but it would happen after my first bite of a particularly dry food (maybe because i was straining to swallow?) and then it would go away. This weekend I had a horrible case. Every time I have eaten anything for the past two days the pain has been so incredible I have not been able to finish meals and have had almost migraine like symptoms with the swelling of the roof of my mouth. I have been reading all over the internet and its seems as though no one has a real answer. I did read one gentleman's response on another message board and he thought it was related to water in the sinuses. I know this is kind of gross, but I was sick one morning this weekend and vomited several times and it has been happening since then. I think maybe its a combination of irritating my sinuses from throwing up and now it seems I am coming down with a cold and have the beginning signs of a sinus infection. It must have something to do with the sinuses, because having a sinus infection is the worst, most painful thing ever. I bet drinking lots of water, hot tea, drinking soup and gargling with warm salty water would help.I drank way too much sat wich resulted in getting sick on sun (a lot) never had root canal, and had my wisdom teeth removed years ago. sun after getting sick and drinking sprite i exprienced the the pain in the roof of my mouth, it has remained from sun to now tuesday.
  • This has happened to many times in the past when I've eaten different foods. No real pattern, but this morning it happened when I was brushing my teeth. I felt a little swelling. It went away quickly so I didn't think much of it until I took my first sip of water an hour later and the roof of my mount along with my tonsils went into complete swelling to the point where I had to spit out my saliva cause I couldn't swallow. I had a horrible headache and I thought I would literally pass out from the pain. It lasted about 5 min. But it freaked me out because it was only water. Granted I woke up dehydrated and the water was really cold. But seriously who is allergic to water? After about 20 minutes I finally decided to try and drink the rest of my water and it was fine but it was really scary. There has only been one other time when it was that severe and it was on my first bite of a meal. Its pretty insane and I cant seem to find anything online to describe what it could be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2010
    • 07:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Swelling in pallette or roof of the mouth is a fairly common problem. This is minor allergic reaction individuals have for generally two primary reasons. First and less common is a food allergy. Second and far more common is an inflammation due to dehyration. You may experience this more often in the morning as your body is lacking in hydration. Eating dry or salty foods can intensify this reaction.This makes sence. I've been waking up the past couple mornings with the roof of my mouth so swollen I can barely clench my teeth. I'm going to try to drinkmore water, and lay off the salty dry foods. Thanks so much for your post, do you have any further info? Thanks a ton:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2010
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I appreciate all your comments guys, I was getting worried about what I have, I have the exact same problem you guys describe above, I went out on Friday night in town, drunk too much vodka, returned home, was sick a good 8-10 times, no exaggeration. By the time I was in a state able to go to sleep, my tonsils and back of my throat were already sore. I appreciated reading that some of you feel this pain as being one of the soarest things possible because I definitely agree. I bought a portion of donor meat the following day, ate 1 slice, was so delicious but then the pain came, oh so painful. It was as though I stuck a bunch of chillies in my mouth and imagine the roof of your mouth is all cut up (it isint though) there is what feels like long swollen lumps (I would describe the top of my mouth as being a little bit swollen) I could not eat anymore of the meat after just one slice. After a while though hunger won over pain and I managed to force a burger and donor meet down. I did enjoy the tastes much more even though they were mixed in with excruciating pain. What I read above, you should avoid irritating it more by all means I think because it hurts constantly now and is even worse when I try to eat something. Went out Friday, It is Sunday now and is the sourest yet. When can I expect this to get better? I want to enjoy my food again, drink fizzy juice! =(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2011
    • 07:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • this is the second time i have had this that has lasted more than a day! last time i saw 3 doctor's no one could figure it out! i agree with above i had drank alchohol the night before both times but that happens on normal occasions. i can see many same symptoms as people on here but no real answers! would be nice if i knew what causes it but most importantly what gets rid of it. i can't eat and i can't drink not even water.
  • I've had this problem since I was a kid. Almost always in the morning, pain so intense I couldnt speak much less eat my food. It would happen at least once a week. Growing up, I thought it was whenever I drank something citrus/acidic. Though, as I got older I ruled that trend out as it began happening with any type of food. I described this to tons of doctors over the years, they all looked at me like I was nuts. I actually started to get used to it. (Or at least not panic when it happened.) When I was 21, I described it to a friends mother as it was happening to me one morning- she quickly responded saying she knew what it was. She claimed to have the same experience during a brief period in her life when she went through an eating disorder. I definitely didnt have an eating disorder so I ruled that out but she asked me if I ever skipped meals (for whatever reason, as people sometimes do), I realized right away that I had not eaten since lunch the previous day due to traveling- she said the pain is a result of malnutrition. I still didnt buy it completely, but made a point in the years ahead to try and connect any possible trend between skipping meals and the pain that would occur in my soft palet. This trend proved true 85% of the time. Its been 12 years since then and it happens at least once a month after skipped meals so I feel pretty confident on a diagnosis of slight malnutrition/dehydration. Always drink a glass of water before bed, try to avoid longish gaps of time between eating and see if this changes things. -Maggie
  • I too suffer this one badly. I get it after a nights drinking, not always, just on occasions. When this happens it lasts for days and is incredibly painful. Many of you say eating triggers it but for me it can be simply drinking water leaving me sipping away in pain just to get enough to drink. From the many many threads I have read on these symptoms I believe the cause to be dehydration. You will read many threads that blame different drugs, activities etc...etc... But the one thing they all have in common is dehydration.
  • I have had this pain since I had lap band surgery and found a possible answer from Livestrong.com The cause may be dehydration which causes the saliva glands to contract leading to pain. It occurs when I am eating and trying to swallow, so this sounds like a logical cause. And due to my lap band, I do tend to drink less water than I should. I am going to try extreme hydration over the next two weeks and see if it helps. There is no way to explain to someone who has not experienced this just how terrible it hurts!!!!
    cecilia23 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had this problem with pain in the roof of my mouth randomly through out the last few years until I realized recently my symptoms were not random @ all and linked to very precise events before. The burning, soreness or pain in the roof of my mouth is tied to a number of wrong things I've done to my body @ once. From my experience I can sum it up to this list causing the pain:•Dehydration- not drinking as much water as possible, dry mouth causes roof gland muscles to contract and cause pain•Malnutrition- I tend to skip many meals a day sometimes maybe only eating once throughout the entire day, so that first meal when I do decide to eat will trigger pain•Drinking Alcohol the nite before- most of the time pain occurs when i have consumed an ample amout of liquor the night before, alcohol dehydrates (On a side note others have mentioned *drug use as a factor also although I have not experienced this, the main two drugs *mentioned were ecstasy and acid)•Being a mouth breather- I have an extremely bad habit of breathing thru my mouth instead of nose which dries out mouth and inhales bacteria, as nose breathing filters. Sleeping with a open mouth as well•Eating very acidic foods- Ive had major problems with acidic, spicy, salty, or hard foods like chips; also piping hot meals pizza or something coming straight out the microwave will burn the roof of mouth•Lastly, keeping your mouth clean- brushing, flossing, listerine keeps bacteria from building up causing infection. Clean morning and before bed.•I have never had allergies and the pain is always triggered by totally different foods, which makes me believe it is not related to an allergic reactionResearching, reading, doctors visits, and thru personal experience I have found the only thing that will sooth the pain is Yogurt! The cultures in yogurt calms the pain in roof of mouth. Reason being the pain is like an oral yeast Infection. I recommend plain yogurt, although any will work, the seeds or fruit pieces from flavored yogurt can irritate as well.From my experience these are the best ways to prevent roof of mouth pain and help get rid of it
    Tiff harr 1 Replies
    • September 21, 2012
    • 05:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this problem since I was a kid. Almost always in the morning, pain so intense I couldnt speak much less eat my food. It would happen at least once a week. Growing up, I thought it was whenever I drank something citrus/acidic. Though, as I got older I ruled that trend out as it began happening with any type of food. I described this to tons of doctors over the years, they all looked at me like I was nuts. I actually started to get used to it. (Or at least not panic when it happened.) When I was 21, I described it to a friends mother as it was happening to me one morning- she quickly responded saying she knew what it was. She claimed to have the same experience during a brief period in her life when she went through an eating disorder. I definitely didnt have an eating disorder so I ruled that out but she asked me if I ever skipped meals (for whatever reason, as people sometimes do), I realized right away that I had not eaten since lunch the previous day due to traveling- she said the pain is a result of malnutrition. I still didnt buy it completely, but made a point in the years ahead to try and connect any possible trend between skipping meals and the pain that would occur in my soft palet. This trend proved true 85% of the time. Its been 12 years since then and it happens at least once a month after skipped meals so I feel pretty confident on a diagnosis of slight malnutrition/dehydration. Always drink a glass of water before bed, try to avoid longish gaps of time between eating and see if this changes things. -MaggieMaggie, in my case you are 100% right. Every single time I have these exact symptoms, there is been a long gap of not eating the day before, or day of. I am currently going through this now, as I went out and pretended I was 21 again, drank for 15+ hours Saturday without eating. Woke up Sunday morning(approximately 9:30am) extremely dehydrated/"hungover". At this point I haven't eaten since Friday evening around 7pm, I try and eat in order to soothe the nausea of my stomach, BAM, the roof of my mouth starts like clockwork. I would say the dehydration may have more to do with it for others, but for me I can make a valid claim stating it is linked directly to my eating, or lack there of :) I went out to dinner Friday evening and went out for drinks. Woke up 12:00pm saturday, went drinking allll day on a bar crawl and went through the night until I eventually ended up home around 5am. Woke up 9:00am Sunday, ate frosted mini wheats (BAAAAAAAAAD idea) to deal with hangover, and before I knew it I was nursing a hangover while dealing with the excruciating pain on the roof of my mouth. Now, I just wish I knew of a way to get rid of it. The more often it happens the longer the symptoms last. I remember those college days undergrad/grad school of starving myself in the library crunching etc and the symptoms would only last for like you said, around 30minutes to hour max. I guess when I added a toxic amount of drinking on top of not eating it may have multiplied the symptoms therefore lasting for 3 days now. I would love to hear your input.....
    Dmezz007 1 Replies
    • January 22, 2013
    • 10:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, i know that this was started a while ago now, however just incase anyone else reads the thread or the origional poster is still on the boards i thought i would reply!Did you ever get an answer as to th cause of the pain?I just wanted to say that today i was discharged from hospital due to this. The differencebeing my pain didnt go away after 20mins etc, it was CONTINUOUS for 7 days!!Ive had the pain many a times over the years, bu as others have said, mine didnt last long, although severe. This time... the pain woke me up at 4am on a sunday morning.So it hadnt been triggered by eating, drinking etc. However, i had been sick that night, hours previous, but when i went to bed i was pain free.The pain just continued and with that, very quickly my mouth- the palate swelled up to a fairly large lump. The pain was not just in my mouth, but through into my nose, cheek bones, ears, eye socks and forhead. My god, i have NEVER had pain like it.After visiting the walk in centre, urgent care, the dentist and my gp, the pain was still just as bad. The GP had told me that if it was not better by the morning to go straight to A+E. This was on about day 4 and up until then i was taking prescription high dose pain killers but they werent touhing the pain. With the pain still there and just as bad, my palate swollen, i was taken to A+E, where they were all puzzled. I was given an x-ray to rule out any dental/absess type things. It came back clear. I was given blood tests. After they exausted their ideas, they refered and transferred me to ENT (ears,nose+throat) specialist. He saw me and put a camera up my nose! to the back of my throat. That came back clear, so it was not sinisitus. Although i had had a cold and suspected chest infection on the weeks prior to all this happening. At a loss, he gave me more pain killers, boked me in to have an MRI scan and gave me another appointment for 2 wks time. I went home.Two days later, the pain was so severe, i had now been in constant pain for arround a week. It was so bad that i actually felt suicidal. I mean, it was hurrendous. I hadnt eaten for a week and although i had forced myself to keep up a healthy fluid intake,this was a horrible experience. With know one giving me answeres i thought i canot carry on. i just needed it to stop.I went back to the ENT ward and saw the same consultant. The pain was so severe i vomited and was literally flinching through pain.He admitted me to hospital straight away and put me on morphine. Within 24hrs my pain was ALOT better, but my mouth still swollen. The team looking after me, went through a whole aray of posible causes but all were eliminated. Today, with the pain under control i was discharged and sent home with strong pain killers and liquid morphine.My mouth is still swollen and they still dont have answers but i am yet to have my MRI scan so that might give more answers. I will write back once ive gotten the results and maybe be able to give some of you some answers!! Just wanted to share so that if anyone experiences the pain, they dont feel embarrassed to go to their hospital. I was admitted as an inpatient and so if they did that for me they should in theory take you seriosuly too. Just as a precation, be prepared to be fobbed off as "not serious", but be honest and be persistant. It is painful beyond belief and i think only after i was admitted could they really see the extent of pain i was in.Hope no one is suffering with this, but if they are, theyr not alone.
    EmilyGingerBread 1 Replies
    • February 25, 2013
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also believe this has to do with sinus infection. I've been experiencing this for three days now. Happened to me first when I was having a hang-over, I drank like 7 glasses of cold water, 1 large glass everytine I wake up. Then, when I finally get to eat my late lunch, I felt the swelling in my neck to ears and then the pain on the roof of my mouth started when I swallow my food, and I couldn't eat anything for hours. After a day I started feeling like my ears are burning, then my sinuses began to swell. Even my teeth are like so painful I couldn't go to work.
    rfiscoechon 1 Replies
    • September 1, 2013
    • 06:07 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement