Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Bruising after itching inner thigh

Posted In: Skin conditions 28 Replies
  • Posted By: car616
  • November 5, 2006
  • 05:56 AM

My inner thighs begins to itch uncontrollably:(. If I do scratch them, then I get bruises (black & blue marks, redness) The area is very sensitive and will hurt when I do touch it. I have used Cortaid to control the itching and it does for a short short while. Any suggestions out there?

Reply Flag this Discussion

28 Replies:

• I have that on my outer thighs. The only other time that happened my liver enzymes were off so I'm calling my doctor about it. Maybe get a liver panel.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 05:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My inner thighs begins to itch uncontrollably:(. If I do scratch them, then I get bruises (black & blue marks, redness) The area is very sensitive and will hurt when I do touch it. I have used Cortaid to control the itching and it does for a short short while. Any suggestions out there?I get the exact same thing and now it is occurring on my left upper breast. There is a lump under the skin when this happens but it eventually heals...help...kamelaharrison@comcast.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wow I just googled "Bruising after itching" and I found this topic. The exact same thing has happened to me just today. Yesterday my out thigh itched really bad. I look and noticed what appeared to be a rash of some sort. Then today, there is a huge very ugly bruise.Anyone know what this is all about?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2007
    • 09:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The Exact same thing happened to me twice now and i have absolutely no idea how, or why it keeps happening. If Anybody finds out please let the rest of us know!!! Thanks!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2008
    • 09:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This was happening to me too, during a bad reaction to no-see-um bites picked up in Florida. Thankfully, after 3 miserable weeks, I'm pretty much better now.Can non-see-um bites be a common factor for any of the rest of you?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2008
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I totally just google "bruises and itching," picked up this thread, and now:I have the same problem. I have itching all over my skin, MAINLY THIGHS and shins... and I bruise if I itch it... This is very rare for me. I don't bruise easily, and I never itch! What's wrong??reichert@rohan.sdsu.eduEmail me if you guys find anything out...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 07:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Its a fungal infection, I used "Fluconazole" 150 mg tablets and ketoconazole based cream which i apply infected area twice a day.
  • I googled bruising & itching and was lucky enough to find this forum. I've had episodes of itching and bruising on my upper thighs since I was pregnant with my son (over 20 years ago). Dr blew it off, and you hate to keep asking. I googled this several years ago and mostly got links related to injection site reactions. One link mentioned a possible relation to fibromyalgia but had no details. Has anyone else heard of this?
    pugmom 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have experienced an itch under the skin, usually in reaction to a bump or once a tight sleeve that had tightened on my arm. The itching causes me to scratch and when I took my blouse off I had a large bruise caused by the tight sleeve hem and aggravated by my scratching. I have just assumed this itch is my reaction to bleeding under the skin. I feel that as an itch. I have also had bruises(I had fallen) which after a while started to itch, then increased in itching until I have a large red area with some swelling and possible bumpiness, yet the bruise is totally gone. I put an antibiotic ointment on it, which helped a bit but it feels more like an allergic response to some degree. I might try some benedryl to see if that helps. But this itching after bruising has happened around 3 times now. I also noticed that when we had a very cold slight drizzle rain that hit fast and pinpoint drops, I experienced it more as a pain than as a wet sensation. Little pinpoints of needles like sensation by the cold tiny hits of drizzle. No idea why I experience it this way.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 04:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your allergy idea certainly sounds like a possibility. I don't have any known allergies but I will try benedryl the next time this happens and see if it helps. Especially since I can hit my knee and bruise it and itching doesn't occur. Thanks!Have you ever been checked for autoimmune disorders? Because this bruising seems to be tied into a whole variety of oddball symptoms I've experienced. Pain in the fingers, wrists, arms, legs (esp. ankles and feet), and shoulders. I had severe pain in both arms above and below my elbows; the dr put me on neurontin and it eventually ceased. I also developed palmoplantar psoriasis, found out I have a mitral valve defect and migraines behind my eyes. I'm sorry to run on at such length, but I wonder if this itching and bruising isn't somehow related to an out of whack immune system? I have had blood tests for various rheumatalogical (sp?) factors, but nothing of any real significance has ever shown up. And outside of this my health is good
    pugmom 2 Replies
    • August 27, 2008
    • 02:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Me too!! Esp. at night. It drives me CRAZY. Just after I go to bed I start to itch and scratch on my thighs and calves. It feels just like bugs are biting me (no they are not bed bugs):eek: Sometimes I will just lay there and hope I will go to sleep but I never do until I get up and apply Caladryl. Occasionally I will take a Benadryl and that helps. This itching is following by excessive urination, usually 2 - 3 times in the first hr. after I go to bed. I take Trazadone at night, and am on Effexor and Lotensin, I take those in the a.m. The dr. says this would not cause my itching and nocturia symptoms. If ANYONE has ANY insight on this pls. let me know:confused:
    jellep 1 Replies
    • August 28, 2008
    • 03:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Its a fungal infection, I used "Fluconazole" 150 mg tablets and ketoconazole based cream which i apply infected area twice a day. The first doctor gave my husband Nystatin & triamcinolone acetonide oinment and steriods pills That didn't work. Fungal infection was my first thought. New Dr. just gave clobetasol propionate cream usp 0.05
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2008
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a really bad itch the other day and itched like mad for about 20 mins and then rubbed it with a plastic cup up and down to get right in there to the itch anway the next day I have woken up with and itch that starts at my knee and goes all the way up nearly to my hip and is from the middle front of my leg to the back in the middle and its very dark. no one can belive it and they say it looks like I have had lipo or a motor bike accident lol.....Im so glad I found this sight
    elesha76 1 Replies
    • November 5, 2008
    • 10:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • okay well with me something similar happensOn my inner thighs i get the hard lumps underneath the skin that hurt Then in maximum it goes away in a weekAfter that i'm left with these blueish bruises and the skin in the area of the bruise is extremely thinAnyone else have this issue?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2008
    • 10:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this started for me about three weeks ago. the itching, bumps, and now bruising. i'm calling my doctor tomorrow - if i find out anything i'll let you know.
  • I am board certified in Internal Med. Painful bumps that itch then leave a bruise are usually Erythema Nodosum--a self limited condition that is essentially a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction to a recent viral illness. They usually will go away after 6 weeks or so and only need to be treated with medicines like Motrin. Sometimes they are painful enough that steroids like prednisone are required. Generalized itching that is followed by brusing is a different ballgame--this can be one of the presenting symptoms of leukemia and should be checked by your doctor right away.
  • Me too!! Esp. at night. It drives me CRAZY. Just after I go to bed I start to itch and scratch on my thighs and calves. It feels just like bugs are biting me (no they are not bed bugs):eek: Sometimes I will just lay there and hope I will go to sleep but I never do until I get up and apply Caladryl. Occasionally I will take a Benadryl and that helps. This itching is following by excessive urination, usually 2 - 3 times in the first hr. after I go to bed. I take Trazadone at night, and am on Effexor and Lotensin, I take those in the a.m. The dr. says this would not cause my itching and nocturia symptoms. If ANYONE has ANY insight on this pls. let me know:confused:Go get checked for Lupus!!!! Read up on it!!!Its more common than u think.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2009
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What do u mean by generalized bruising???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Go get checked for Lupus!!!! Read up on it!!!Its more common than u think.my situation is a bit different - I'm 59 - the area on inner or outer thigh gets hot and itches - the next day i have a huge bruise - i used to think it was just from the scrathcing - this started just recently - again after about a 10 year hiatus - i wondered about diet, and i take benedryl every night anyway for sensitivities i have. i also have started blood pressure meds - toprol, and i was given lexapro 3 years ago. i had lyme disease diagnosed in the summer of 2007 - rash and all - one dr. i saw suggested it was a liver problem and i should drop in the next time i had symptoms - this has just started again in the last 2 weeks.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 01:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am board certified in Internal Med. Painful bumps that itch then leave a bruise are usually Erythema Nodosum--a self limited condition that is essentially a hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction to a recent viral illness. They usually will go away after 6 weeks or so and only need to be treated with medicines like Motrin. Sometimes they are painful enough that steroids like prednisone are required. Generalized itching that is followed by brusing is a different ballgame--this can be one of the presenting symptoms of leukemia and should be checked by your doctor right away.I took the H1N1 vaccine (the shot) and then had this same reaction on outer thigh about 5 hours later. Sudden itching and then it looked like a rash. Next morning a large bruise was there. Thought it was a spider bite but no bite marks! Could this have been a reaction to the vaccine? Wondering
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2009
    • 00:42 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement