Discussions By Condition: Foot conditions

Over Pronation/IT Band Syndrome?

Posted In: Foot conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 1, 2009
  • 08:35 PM

Has anyone else experienced it band syndrome from over pronation of the foot (walking on the inside of foot)? It band (illiotibial band)

this tendon runs from the foot to the hip from what i understand....it took 6 years of severe to moderate pain in my hip before i was able to get a diagnosis....and i really hope this is the right one...

As it turns out, shoe orthotics may correct the problem .... My pt taped the arch of my right foot and i can already see a difference.....

It actually took tendonitis of the foot and ankle (very painful and dibilitating) before it was found out.....there is a general lack of knowledge apparently about this kind of dilemma.....never heard of an it band till recently, but you would think that all the physical med dr's i have seen would have known from my symptoms.....it is a scary thought that something so benign would be missed causing my job loss and many other changes in my life.......

My advice would be to never ignore pain in the hip or leg without getting the feet evaluated and trying an orthotic......makes me wonder how many people could be more mobile if dr's had simply prescribed shoe orthotics .....food for thought...

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• The Iliotibial Band (IT Band) aka Tensor Fascia Lata originates from the ASIS (anterior superior Iliac Spine) aka Top Front of Your Hip and Inserts distally on gerdy's tubercle: on the lateral aspect of tibia tubercle (head of tibia) aka Right Below Your Knee on Outside of Leg. IT does not go to your foot. Pain in the IT Band is felt in the lateral aspect (outside) of your thigh and into the knee.If you were having pain in your foot, you walk on the inside of your foot and taping your arch made a difference, it's more likely you have a foot problem like fallen arches. Orthotics would help with this problem.Has anyone else experienced it band syndrome from over pronation of the foot (walking on the inside of foot)? It band (illiotibial band)this tendon runs from the foot to the hip from what i understand....it took 6 years of severe to moderate pain in my hip before i was able to get a diagnosis....and i really hope this is the right one...As it turns out, shoe orthotics may correct the problem .... My pt taped the arch of my right foot and i can already see a difference.....It actually took tendonitis of the foot and ankle (very painful and dibilitating) before it was found out.....there is a general lack of knowledge apparently about this kind of dilemma.....never heard of an it band till recently, but you would think that all the physical med dr's i have seen would have known from my symptoms.....it is a scary thought that something so benign would be missed causing my job loss and many other changes in my life.......My advice would be to never ignore pain in the hip or leg without getting the feet evaluated and trying an orthotic......makes me wonder how many people could be more mobile if dr's had simply prescribed shoe orthotics .....food for thought...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2010
    • 02:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Has anyone else experienced it band syndrome from over pronation of the foot (walking on the inside of foot)? It band (illiotibial band)this tendon runs from the foot to the hip from what i understand....it took 6 years of severe to moderate pain in my hip before i was able to get a diagnosis....and i really hope this is the right one...As it turns out, shoe orthotics may correct the problem .... My pt taped the arch of my right foot and i can already see a difference.....It actually took tendonitis of the foot and ankle (very painful and dibilitating) before it was found out.....there is a general lack of knowledge apparently about this kind of dilemma.....never heard of an it band till recently, but you would think that all the physical med dr's i have seen would have known from my symptoms.....it is a scary thought that something so benign would be missed causing my job loss and many other changes in my life.......My advice would be to never ignore pain in the hip or leg without getting the feet evaluated and trying an orthotic......makes me wonder how many people could be more mobile if dr's had simply prescribed shoe orthotics .....food for thought...Yes - I've read about this and I think it may have something to do with my chronic hip pain. I've always known that I over-pronate. I've been reading on the internet that this can lead to problems with the IT Band. The IT band goes from the KNEE to the HIP (it doesn't extend to the feet), however, over-pronation in the feet can cause us to move in ways that cause irritation to the IT band. I'm going to get some orthotics and see if it helps me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am a physical therapist and I evaluate low extremity biomechanics all the time in relation to IT band symptoms. The same goes for knee cap pain, hip bursitis, and bunion pain. All can have biomechanical components. If you have a leg injury, seek help from a physical therapist. If they don't consider the entire leg and biomechanics, find a different one! Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!
    JTrempe 101 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement