Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

Upper Left Quadrant Pain

Posted In: Blood conditions 10 Replies
  • Posted By: silver_raven
  • November 4, 2006
  • 07:59 PM

This is possibly in the wrong section, but due to blood work, I've posted this here.

Symptoms and blood/urine tests:

3 RBC in urine

low end WBC on CBC (bottom of "average", top of "low" count for WBC, depending on allowed for hospital

Upper left quadrant pain (started out as a fullness feeling about 5 months ago, after those 3 UTI's and 1 kidney infection....turned painful randomly...it still feels like a fullness, but I maintain my appetite, and it seems affected only by direct pressure via fingers, ie-exam...if it hurts, it hurts a lot, and pushing on it makes it hurt that much more. I no longer can handle tight hugs, as they are very uncomfortable.

No blood sugar issues

Perfect GI test (barium drink)

Weightloss (past month)

Large/somewhat increased food intake and appetite (past few months)

Vegan diet (6 months)

Foods don't alter the pain, lack of food doesn't alter pain either

Multiple UTI's

No fever

Slightly elevated blood pressure (top number, not bottom number); lower than the average person's blood pressure runs in my family though

Tests that were done/soon to be done that results are unknown as of yet:

Xray (determine gallstones/kidney stones)
Sonogram (determine liver/spleen issues)

when I say I'm eating more, I do not mean I'm eating more fruits and veggies. I'm eating a very high-carb diet, with a lot of "bad" carbs, as well as "healthy" oils (ie-potatoes, olive oil, corn, white flour foods)
I consume beans (refried as well as hummus), seeds, etc.
also, I eat a lot of sugar products (sweets, banana bread, etc).

I take vitamins for B12 that are "non-vegan" (have 5333%--yes, five thousand...B12...generally don't take a full serving, but enough to get the vitamin benefits.)

Mainly, I'm worried about the weightloss. I have to eat about 5 times a day, several servings worth, and even then, I'm still losing weight. Went from 129 to 122.9 in a matter of 2 weeks (same hospital scale, same clothing weight, etc)...this is usually a weightloss at a speed that I really have to watch what I'm eating, and I've been eating more, not less, and losing weight. I was having trouble fitting into a 7/8 before all this, and now comfortably wear a size 5. I'm 24, almost 25, so my metabolism shouldn't be randomly speeding up.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas, or at least some types of bloodwork and tests that might determine what's going on.

Every two or three weeks, I get nausea, and really sick and sometimes even puke, but it only lasts a day and then I'm back to my extreme eating regimen.

Thanks again!
Stephanie

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Upper L abdomen or chest? Upper left abdomen pain may be due to hiatus hernia or enlarged spleen. You need to ask your doctor to perform a CT which would indicate either. :rolleyes:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 03:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • it's definitely abdomen pain, but GI tests already determined it's not a hiatial hernia.GI test basically proved it's not my digestive tract, nor a digestive tract type hernia. I had an Xray done, and I will be getting a sonogram done. xray=kidney stone/gallstone checksonogram=liver/spleen check The pain flares when it wants...I noticed I lost a lot of weight and the weightloss peaked when the pain peaked, as the pain resolved, my weight came back (i was eating the same, if not more food when the pain was at it's worst)...when it remains in the background, my weight still doesn't come back all the way to where it should be for caloric intake...people around me do ask me why I'm so skinny/small for the amt of food they see me consuming...it's a bit weird. ok, thanks for the reply, hope this clears up any misinterpretations. :o
    silver_raven 3 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 03:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds really weird, but all that pain may be from lack of fiber. Try eating at least 25 grams a day. I will not bore you with my story, but I had sever upper left quadrant pain that took me to the ER multiple times. Nothing helped...no medicine, nothing. I started taking two "FIBER SURE" chewables a day, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and eating one "ACTIVIA" Yogurt once a day (which has friendly bacteria that regulates your digestive system). I had this pain for 3 months...after eating more fiber, in ONE WEEK the pain was gone. Please give it a try and let me know if it works!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 10:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HAVE YOU HAD YOUR THYROID CHECKED???? IF YOU HAVE HYPERTHYROIDISM YOU MAY EXPERIENCE THE WEIGHT LOSS.....This is possibly in the wrong section, but due to blood work, I've posted this here. Symptoms and blood/urine tests: 3 RBC in urine low end WBC on CBC (bottom of "average", top of "low" count for WBC, depending on allowed for hospital Upper left quadrant pain (started out as a fullness feeling about 5 months ago, after those 3 UTI's and 1 kidney infection....turned painful randomly...it still feels like a fullness, but I maintain my appetite, and it seems affected only by direct pressure via fingers, ie-exam...if it hurts, it hurts a lot, and pushing on it makes it hurt that much more. I no longer can handle tight hugs, as they are very uncomfortable. No blood sugar issues Perfect GI test (barium drink) Weightloss (past month) Large/somewhat increased food intake and appetite (past few months) Vegan diet (6 months) Foods don't alter the pain, lack of food doesn't alter pain either Multiple UTI's No fever Slightly elevated blood pressure (top number, not bottom number); lower than the average person's blood pressure runs in my family though Tests that were done/soon to be done that results are unknown as of yet: Xray (determine gallstones/kidney stones)Sonogram (determine liver/spleen issues) ______________________ when I say I'm eating more, I do not mean I'm eating more fruits and veggies. I'm eating a very high-carb diet, with a lot of "bad" carbs, as well as "healthy" oils (ie-potatoes, olive oil, corn, white flour foods)I consume beans (refried as well as hummus), seeds, etc.also, I eat a lot of sugar products (sweets, banana bread, etc). I take vitamins for B12 that are "non-vegan" (have 5333%--yes, five thousand...B12...generally don't take a full serving, but enough to get the vitamin benefits.) Mainly, I'm worried about the weightloss. I have to eat about 5 times a day, several servings worth, and even then, I'm still losing weight. Went from 129 to 122.9 in a matter of 2 weeks (same hospital scale, same clothing weight, etc)...this is usually a weightloss at a speed that I really have to watch what I'm eating, and I've been eating more, not less, and losing weight. I was having trouble fitting into a 7/8 before all this, and now comfortably wear a size 5. I'm 24, almost 25, so my metabolism shouldn't be randomly speeding up. Thanks if anyone has any ideas, or at least some types of bloodwork and tests that might determine what's going on. Every two or three weeks, I get nausea, and really sick and sometimes even puke, but it only lasts a day and then I'm back to my extreme eating regimen. Thanks again!Stephanie
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,I'm going to the doctor right now for the same problem. I'm not sure what it is but I cannot be held tightly without it hurting. Let me know what you're results are and I hope you're OK. We have the exact symptoms. I'll keep you posted. Kp
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 05:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • KP,Thanks for the response! Sorry you're going through this too. Just curious to know if you've also experienced weightloss with this or no? I am noticing a lot more obvious now is that when I have wheat gluten, wheat products, etc, I wind up with the pain and diarrhea, (today and yesterday were bad, and I have a feeling I'm not yet done with the bathroom...lol).Anyways, I also notice that I get the pain pretty bad if I'm having an "adrenaline rush"...basically, toward the end of the adrenaline rush, such as when I'm with my bf in bed and we're playing around. If I get too mny butterflies in the tummy, so to speak, then the pain starts, but when it happens then, it stops me dead in my tracks and I just curl up in a ball. Talk about embarrassing. I get like that also if I'm victim of road rage or anything like that that would cause that "flushed" and clammy feeling (about 30 seconds into it, that's when the pain will start).I can't be held tightly most of the time now. Usually that makes the pain more obvious.Thanks for your response! Hope you find out what's wrong and maybe the docs will be able to treat it. ^_^
    silver_raven 3 Replies
    • December 29, 2007
    • 01:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Insist your doctor run blood tests for Celiac Disease. Don't let them talk you out of it, it took me six years to get diagnosed and I got lucky, it usually takes longerThe University of Chicago website has information on the correct testing, they specialize in Celiac disease
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2008
    • 01:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had pain in uppler left quadrant and pain keeps getting worst. Now pain has spread to my side and back.I have been feeling very poorly sleeping lot more than usual with diminished appetite but no weight loss.I have problems too with constipation alternating with diarrheaMy blood tests are abnormal as follows RDW High WBC High Platelet Count High Neut Low Mon LowWBC has been high for about 5 weeks and continues to get higher. A Gastrinologist is performing a endescopy and colonoscopy this week. I'm also scheduled to see a Infectious Disease Doctor, Lung Doctor and Heart Doctor.....I sure wish I knew what I was going on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2008
    • 02:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be your spleen(a splenic infarct,for example),a subdiaphragmatic abscess,or pneumonia of the left lower lobe.:)
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 17, 2008
    • 04:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had pain in uppler left quadrant and pain keeps getting worst. Now pain has spread to my side and back. I have been feeling very poorly sleeping lot more than usual with diminished appetite but no weight loss. I have problems too with constipation alternating with diarrhea My blood tests are abnormal as follows RDW HighWBC HighPlatelet Count HighNeut LowMon Low WBC has been high for about 5 weeks and continues to get higher. A Gastrinologist is performing a endescopy and colonoscopy this week. I'm also scheduled to see a Infectious Disease Doctor, Lung Doctor and Heart Doctor.....I sure wish I knew what I was going on. I no in south jersey we are getting a lot of 911 calls for this, so far it is a really bad illness going around it also has with it voting, diarea, and fever. Most of them are alos in a lot of pain but I hope this helps
    emtff47 1 Replies
    • December 17, 2008
    • 04:33 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement