Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

brain calcification

Posted In: Medical Stories 24 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 4, 2006
  • 01:09 PM

i have been told i have calcification of my lining of the brain.none of my doctors are very forthcoming with an explanation of what caused this or how serious it is,does anyone have it,it is very worrying.i also have some other strange symptoms that occured at the time of diagnosis,including eye problems tingling and deafness

Reply Flag this Discussion

24 Replies:

• Hi. I was recently diagnosed with left lobe calcification - docs arent able to tell me how long it has been there, but as the right side of my body is smaller, they presume a long time. causes me to have epilepsy. calcification is not malignant and is nothing like a tumor. unless it crowds out other parts of your brain or encompasses them, there is not much to worry about. I am epileptic and have smell disorders as part of my olfactory nerves are affected, but nothing serious. if you dont live near a biggish hospital, I would suggest going to one just for your own peace of mind. cheers!quinn
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2006
    • 02:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • dear qiunthanks for telling me your story,it was very reasuring to here about someone else who has this condition. oddly enough my sense of smell has increased alarmingly i still have probs with my eyesight and my next appointment at the hospital is in march, will keep you posted,why do docs have to be so vauge about this stuff? all the best bepy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 03:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Bepy,I also found out recently from a CT scan that I have a calcification in the lining of my brain, the size of a garbozo bean that they originally thought was a tumor until they did the MRI. I had the CT scan done because I had skin cancer on the top of my head and wanted to have the inside checked out since I was having headaches, numbness, tingely and vision problems. The doctor says there is no way that they are linked . They say it is nothing to worry about but I am still concerned since it is located directly below where the cancer was. I will do a follow up in 6 months to check the growth rate of the deposit. I have been researching this but not finding a lot about it, although I did find out that the MRI can give a false reading on a calcified deposit. You should definitely keep up with check ups and if you have concerns go back in to your doctor and push. They linked my symptoms to menopause since I am 48 instead of linking it to the problems with the brain. You know yourself better than anyone and must stay ahead of the game, your life might depend on it. Bec
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2008
    • 05:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My girlfriend ws diagnosed with a calcium deposit in her brain while she was in the air force. They gave her a couple ct and Mri's. They gave her a medical discharge for migranes. She has horrible headaches and a lot of time she loses her vision, sometimes in one eye and the other eye is fuzzy and sometimes both eyes just shut off. She says it feels as if someone is squeezing the back of her eyes. If anyone has any information please respond to this or email me at slightly.morbid@yahoo.comFaithness
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have terrible headache after a mri they said i had a tumor after a second mri they said sorry it`s a calcium deposit they said it`s nothing to worry about but i lose vision or have blurred vision all the time .you know what ? I don`t care anymore no doctor can tell if i can get rid of it. Good luck man
  • I have terrible headache after a mri they said i had a tumor after a second mri they said sorry it`s a calcium deposit they said it`s nothing to worry about but i lose vision or have blurred vision all the time .you know what ? I don`t care anymore no doctor can tell if i can get rid of it. Good luck man Having just been in hospital following a headache that felt like my head was going to explode, like a band round my head, neck pain, limb numbness & nausea - newly diagnosed with hypertension. My CT scan showed a frontal lobe calcified area - the radiologist said it was of 'doubtful signisficance for this current situation' & was unable to offer any explanation for it. I have always suffered from migraine which have over the last year got worse. I believe that it is connected - I know my body - that was not my usual migraine type headache that I had.
  • Hi,I had an MRI because of a change in my usual migraine pattern (more severe and more frequent) and have developed neurological symptoms such as occasional numb leg, seeing an aura (which i havn't experienced before), vertigo, random pain that lasts for a day or two etc. The results of the MRI said "essentially normal" however there was an "incidental Calcification area" the nurse mentioned things like "restricted diffusion at the sight of lesion", "low signal focus", "Low T2" "Right side Cerabellam". All of these things have confused me.Can a Cacification area in my Cerebellam mean multiple sclerosis? I am wondering if that is what I have.Thanks
  • Hi everyone,I'm quite relieved to find out that I'm not the only person that has this problem. I was told 3 days ago that I have calcification on my brain. But i was only told by a nurse and she didnt explain it to me so of course I've been looking all over the internet, freaking myself out! Some people say its a tumour, other people say that it has to be surgically removed! I'm waiting for an MRI scan and I have no idea when it will be! If its soon, then I'm going to be worried and if its months down the track, then I'm guna have to wait all this time without knowing.The few people that I have told are saying don't worry so much, its nothing. But its so scary thinking that there is something on my brain that shouldn't be there.I also have bad migraines and headaches all the time and thats why I had a CT scan in the first place. I'm taking amitriptyline which is really helping with the migraines but since I've been told about this I've worried so much I feel sick all day and every weird thing I think or feel I go "OMG its related to brain calcification!"Sorry to go on so much but I think I need to get out what I'm thinking because I'm driving myself insane. If you have any information for me can you please email me on kat_15_nz@hotmail.com ThanksKat
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2009
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 44 years old and 9 years ago I was diagnosed with a calcified glomus in the center of my brain. I had chronic migraines and unexplained anemia. I was told not to worry. But I find it strange by reading all these postings that each and everyone of us is still having neurological issues with a calcification. I truly believe these are linked. There needs to be more research done with brain calcifications. Too many people are afflicted with this condition and it is causing impairments to the quality of our lives on a daily basis. I still get headaches and I still have unexplained anemia. Recently I had a gall bladder attack. Has anyone else had issues with their gall bladder?D.K.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2009
    • 02:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Having just been in hospital following a headache that felt like my head was going to explode, like a band round my head, neck pain, limb numbness & nausea - newly diagnosed with hypertension. My CT scan showed a frontal lobe calcified area - the radiologist said it was of 'doubtful signisficance for this current situation' & was unable to offer any explanation for it. I have always suffered from migraine which have over the last year got worse. I believe that it is connected - I know my body - that was not my usual migraine type headache that I had.I am 27 yrs old and started having major panic attacks, brain fog, blurred vision, and vertigo. Three doctors told me it was anxiety. I finally insisted on a CT and the doctor said there was no mass or bleeding BUT I did have frontal lobe calcification. Now I have to see a neurologist to see what that means. There isn't much written on it but I'm scared nonetheless. I keep seeing articles on calcification being caused by brain cancer and parkinson's. (sigh) I can't stop thinking/worrying about it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2009
    • 01:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i too recently started experiencing brain fog, blurred vision, a feeling of off balance and now, one sided numbness. i went to the ER twice, had blood work done, went to the eye doctor... etc. they all said i was healthy and that it was just anxiety. HOWEVER, after demanding a CT (without contrast) they found two left intracranial calcifications. the doctors still seem to think this was anything to worry about but i made an appointment to see a neurologist nonetheless. i'm so worried and everyone just keeps dismissing me and my symptoms as anxiety. it's depressing. i have to wait over a month to get an MRI and in the meantime, i feel so out of it. i think i have a brain tumor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2009
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• About 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with high levels of calcium in the center of my brain. I had and still have massive migraines. These migraines are brought on by simple things, flourescent lights, the sun bouncing off of the car windshield, the computer screen, etc. I will lose vision completely in the right eye and fuzzy in the left. I begin vomiting and have to hide in a quiet dark closet, sometimes for hours. the migraines sometimes last for several days. The scary thing is that they happen instantly, sometimes while driving. I will be on the freeway and lose my vision. The doctor claims that it is nothing to worry about now, but we should monitor it over the years. The migraines have gotten worse and now I suffer from severe anxiety attacks and loss of memory. I cannot remember simple things that happened days ago. I am only 36. I forget appointments and lose things. Like my shoes. Who does that? Sometimes I just get so fuzzy and lost that normal things don't make sense. I can carry on a conversation and I know in my head what word I am going to say, but another one comes out. I don't know how bad it has gotten, but it is kind of scary. Keep an eye on the calcification, cuz the dr. told me that basically my brain was hardening. So now what? I just wait and see what happens next. Good luck to youHi everyone,I'm quite relieved to find out that I'm not the only person that has this problem. I was told 3 days ago that I have calcification on my brain. But i was only told by a nurse and she didnt explain it to me so of course I've been looking all over the internet, freaking myself out! Some people say its a tumour, other people say that it has to be surgically removed! I'm waiting for an MRI scan and I have no idea when it will be! If its soon, then I'm going to be worried and if its months down the track, then I'm guna have to wait all this time without knowing.The few people that I have told are saying don't worry so much, its nothing. But its so scary thinking that there is something on my brain that shouldn't be there.I also have bad migraines and headaches all the time and thats why I had a CT scan in the first place. I'm taking amitriptyline which is really helping with the migraines but since I've been told about this I've worried so much I feel sick all day and every weird thing I think or feel I go "OMG its related to brain calcification!"Sorry to go on so much but I think I need to get out what I'm thinking because I'm driving myself insane. If you have any information for me can you please email me on kat_15_nz@hotmail.com ThanksKat
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2009
    • 07:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • AT 40 and after being in and out of the hospital for 6 months with a solid 3 month stay, my husband was diagnosed with "Calcification of the brain". The symptoms were left side paralysis lasting anywhere from 5 minutes up to several hours at a time. Slurred speech, disorientation, seizures and of course extreme exhaustion after the seizures. He has multiple "episodes" everyday. For the most part, he lives with this, then there are the times that it is completely dibilitating. He is not currently taking medication, because the adverse reactions were just as bad as the symptoms. The neurologists have said this is possibly a result of a car accident or sports injury 20 to 30 years ago and appeared out of no where.I'm reading about everyone's symptoms and truly sad to see so many others going through this. Is there anything that anyone has had success with such as medication or surgery? Is there anyone who has had similar symptoms and able to be a fully functional member of society, i.e., driving, swimming, etc.?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2009
    • 06:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 44 years old and 9 years ago I was diagnosed with a calcified glomus in the center of my brain. I had chronic migraines and unexplained anemia. I was told not to worry. But I find it strange by reading all these postings that each and everyone of us is still having neurological issues with a calcification. I truly believe these are linked. There needs to be more research done with brain calcifications. Too many people are afflicted with this condition and it is causing impairments to the quality of our lives on a daily basis. I still get headaches and I still have unexplained anemia. Recently I had a gall bladder attack. Has anyone else had issues with their gall bladder?D.K.I am 24 and have suffered from migraines since i was 7 y.o. In the past year the severity and frequency has dramatically increased. I had an MRI done 6 months ago which showed everything to be fine. when I got another MRI a couple of weeks ago I was told that everything was still normal and that i had calcifications in the brain and not to worry about it. There has to be more to it (calcifications) as the migraines I'm getting are insane and lasting for several days. I'm on sandomigran which doesn't seem to be doing much. I've tried endep, topamax etc. all have made them worse. If anyone has information please email me on zara_noble@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2009
    • 02:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i too had calcifications on my ct scan im 37 yrs old female single mum from glasgow went to m y doctor with sever migrane after 3 days i couldnt cope was hospitalised and given sumatriptan by injection not a good expereince on the 2nd day of stay in hospital i was given a lumber puncture and then released 1 hour later 6pm that 2nd night sent home and told i have a possible small bleed to the brain and i will be an outpatient my left eye is sluggish to light and im forgetful a lot .ive to live and wait like all of u louise marcolini glasgow
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2009
    • 07:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was just told today, that I have frontal lobe calcification as seen on my CT. I got my CT because my headaches have gotten unbearable, and I now have to be medicated for them with prescription drugs. In the past few years I have had lots of visual aura's and start losing some of my vision as well. I also get lots of black spot (floaters) in my vision. Now reading what you have all been saying I think my vision and migraine problems may be related to this calcification. I also have hypothyroidism and have had one severe hyperthyroid storm. My thyroid has been completely removed now. Some of the stuff I am reading is leading me to think that the calcification could be caused by that. Do any of you have thyroid disorders that you are aware of?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2010
    • 02:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just went browsing to see if i can find any answers to results of my tests and i stumbled across this posting and site. I went in originally to get a referral to a ENT (ear, nose throat) doctor. My doctor said i need to have xrays done of my sinuses first before this could be done. So off i went to get the xrays done. The results came back with my doctor wanting another appointment as there was problems. First time i had them done they found the nasal damage which we basically knew existed but also they found that i had skeletal damage in the front of my forehead. The technologist that reviewed my xrays suggested that i had further testing done and in more depth. I went and had these done. I went in today to get the results back of my test and the results showed that i have a calcification of the brain. Not knowing what is going on still and its depressing me totally here. The technologist has asked that i have a further test done on this. So here now i wait again to get in for a CT scan to see whats going on. Meanwhile the last 23 days i have had a headache that no medicine is curing. It gives me a few hours of relief and thats it. I read on the internet of what it can cause and i believe i have memory loss cuz so many times i cant remember what im doing or what i was going to do by the time i was going to do it till later on. I am only 36 so the timing of this that they are saying normally happens to people 40 and over or infants is totally false in my case. I just want to know whats causing all of this and i want to know now.
    AnneMarieS 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well i am only 20 and just found out today that i have a calcium deposit in my left ventricle. i keep seeing that it is in older patients. my doctor won't tell me anything which doesn't help. yet, also i am a medical assisting student so i have everything running through my head and what it probably has caused. the left side of the brain controls so much. all i know is the doctor said that mine is from a birth injury. hopefully i will find out more. i want them to take it out and be done with it.
  • I am 32 year old female in early 2007 I had a Grand Mal seizure lasting 25 minutes, caused my jaw to dislocate, and after a stay in hospital they did CT scans, MRI, and EEG, they diagnosed me with calcifications on the brain.They were also not very forthcoming with information, they did tell me that it wasn't something that just developed, they said it had to have been present before I was even born as a fetus.I now take Dilantin everyday to help them stay under control but I still have breakthrough seizures, I just had one this past Friday, it just so happened I was taking my husband to hospital as he was having trouble breathing and there in the triage area I had a Grand Mal seizure lasted about 15 minutes, woke up completely disoriented and confused with my jaw dislocated.I cannot put into words my frustration over this as I have 4 children and I try to work a full time job.I also have terrible headaches and I suffer from short term memory loss as a result of the seizures.
  • Hi - I was diagnosed over 10 yrs ago with calcification of the brain. I am unsure but I beieve it is not in the linisg but right on the left rear lobe of the brain - the size of a large gum ball - my first mri showed 4cm - 9 yrs later it showed 5cm and recently 8 yrs later it shows 7.8cm in size - The first MRI was due to the same issue - migraines - but they aren't like other peoples migraines. They are different. I have an assortment of medical problems. I can't be out in the sun to long. I can't have to much stress. I can't get upset or cry. they all cause the head to hurt. My sense of smell has increased over the years instead of decreased, which is odd since I am a smoker. You would think it was the other way around. I have a second opinion with a neurosurgeon since the first didn't go very well. Getting info out of him was like pulling teeth. I am hoping for some kind of treatment of possible surgery since the only information I have gotten is that 'over time I will begin to loose the ability of use on the left side of my body.' That's pretty scary since I am only 38 and depend on all my senses just like everyone else. I will let you know what happens in my next appointment (July 12th).
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement