Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Severe burning pain in my right thigh

Posted In: Medical Stories 5 Replies
  • Posted By: agbtg7
  • December 21, 2008
  • 01:43 PM

I suffer from an intermittant severe burning sensation which occurs in my right thigh. It only occurs when I have been lying flat and typically am sleeping. Either a tug on my thigh muscle or just a burning sensation awkens me. Sometimes there is also a feeling of being paralized in that area. It is halfway between the knee and the hip only on my right leg. The majority of my left leg has been made of no use due to Fibrosarcoma of my left femur back in 1982.

An orthopedic surgeon did tell me that I had either one or two bad disks in my lower back quite a few years ago, but he said it would be sometime before it would have to be dealt with. Perhaps that time has come. The burning pain I experience can occur anytime from once a week, once a month, or a few times a year. It is so hot and burning that it is difficult to forget and in fact the pain remains for a number of hours after the primary pain is gone.

My former doctors treated me used to order an ultrasound almost anytime I would experience pain in my legs being concerned about blood clots or an embolism of some sort. Now, it is like they are not even concerned about that anymore, which I do not understand. It seems to me that there is more of a chance now that I could have that sort of problem then back then.

I have underwent 14 major surgeries; only two related to cancer, and have had many different types of pain. But these pains that are so hot and painful even if for only a short duration are very difficult coping with. Whether it is as simple as nerve pain; or more along the lines of DVT, some sort of embolism or blood clot, or something else, I would just like to know. If it's related to my back, I would like to know that as well. From time to time I have pain so severe in my lower back that I cannot do much for several days.

Hopefully a doctor or someone familar with my particular complaint will read this and send me some sort of suggestion as to what type of treatment might be helpful to me.

Thank you very much. Sincerely, MGM.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Did you get radiation treatment? You might want to research hot springs for long soaks...one with radium in it..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 21, 2008
    • 07:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you get radiation treatment? You might want to research hot springs for long soaks...one with radium in it.. Yes, I had six weeks of radiation at 450 Rads daily - 30 seconds on top and 30 seconds on the bottom. I also had two types of chemotherapy as well. They go all out when you have bone cancer because at the time I had it the survival rate was only 25% lived for five years! Now, I think its about 50% live for five years. And yes they did tell me that the chances of me getting leukemia in about 30 years was in the 90 percentage range, but this is on my right leg and the radiation was on my left leg. I suppose legs are legs and it certainly could develop somewhere else, but unless this is the slowest growing cancer in the history of cancer, I don't think that is what is causing this. I have been having these bouts now for many years. Just wish that I had a doctor who would take it seriously and really try to figure out what it is instead of just prescribing some other medication for it. As if that is what I need -- more meds. Thanks... MGM.
    agbtg7 3 Replies
    • December 21, 2008
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • How old are you? Male or female? Does the pain get worse if you've been standing for a long time?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • December 22, 2008
    • 01:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Burning pains are always neuropathic. Thigh pain as the terminus indicates an origin in the lower lumbar or sacral region. See a neurologist. You need spinal x-rays, nerve conduction studies, possibly a spinal CT or MRI.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2008
    • 11:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am presently 52 years of age and a male. As far as standing for long periods of time goes, this is not possible since I no longer have a left hip -- nor do I have more than about 12 inches of left femur which is not connected to anything but my left knee. When I stand nearly all of my weight -- I am overweight - big surprise -- is pressing on my right hip and leg because I have no left hip or femur that I can depend upon as explained. The added weight on my right hip and leg also seems to cause wear and tear on that right leg and hip since my x-rays show some evidence of osteoarthritis in my right leg now. I have to walk either on crutches or use a wheelchair or other device such as that to be ambulatory. Yes, I think that I mentioned that I had 6 weeks of radiation back in 1982, at the rate of 450 rads daily concluding in a 7 1/2 hr. surgery. Work up's such as you suggest are great, but unfortunately my experience with doctors has been that you either have nothing wrong with you or you are dying. It is almost like there is no middle ground. I do not understand what doctors are being taught in our medical schools, but is it not logical to believe that people can have ailaments which are chronic with acute bouts of various problems? The other problem that I have been having as of late is doctors not playing square with me. What I would call nothing short of deceptive actions by saying one thing and than doing another. With my medical history it just doesn't seem to make any sense at all. About the only thing that I can say is that continued medical problems are very serious pain wise and often my experience has taught me that I have problems often for years before doctors discover what those issues are. I have had a total of 4 or 5 major fractures of bones and on at least two occasions was told by doctors that there was no fracture and then later was told by the Radiologist that indeed I did have a fracture. You would think that this would indicate very small fractures for the doctor to missi it and yet this has not been the case. I do not mean to speak negatively about doctors since I owe my life to them and to God. To them for finding and treating my cancer and other life-threatning accidents and to God for preventing the cancer from spreading and keeping things together so that I did not bleed out on one occasion. I have been to neurologist and like I said before they just want to prescribe medication which doesn't seem to work. They don't want to do any test which at one time that is all they wanted to do. Which is why I said that they feel you either have no issues or are at death's door. Don't know what happen to problems and issues which are half way in between the two? Thank you all for your concern very much. Sincerely, MGM.
    agbtg7 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement