Discussions By Condition: Allergies

swollen lips with itchy welts on skin

Posted In: Allergies 21 Replies
  • Posted By: emtff47
  • December 17, 2008
  • 04:16 PM

I am 19 and every mouth I get swollen lips with itchy welts all over my body!! First time I got them I had chilly and like 2 hours later I got welts and swollen lips, 2nd time I woke up with welts all over my body and later that day I was just siting at the firehouse on the computer and out of no where my lips got swollen again. I didnt eat anything that day till after they got bigger and that was pizza. 3rd time i just woke up and again i had welts on my skin and they itched like crazy and I want to make cookies with my friend and my lips again got bigger. and this mouth I was at the firehouse again just came back from a 911 call and again they were big. I get the welts a lot more then my lips get swollen. For that I got this antitch cream and it works but when it dont I have to get in the tub with dawn dish soap and very hot water to make it stop. I need answers and yes I am an EMT so you think I would no this stuff but I dont and I am going insane PLEASE HELP!!:(:(:(:(

Reply Flag this Discussion

21 Replies:

• I would get a scratch test done to check for evironmental as well as food allergies. Chili and firehouse, huh? sounds like you're allergic to heat-haha:D I would take Benadryl to help with the symptoms until you can get tested.
    AprilRN 27 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 06:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi -I am dealing with the exact same symptoms you have described in your post....have searched the net some but really was not able to find any descriptions of symptoms that matched my own, save for your posting. Since yours occurred some time ago (mine appeared late last week), I'm wondering if you would do me the kindness of bringing me up to speed on how the condition progressed with you and what...if anything...you did to treat it.Thank you. --Andrew RibnerPS: please send any response to "aribner1@yahoo.com" so that I will be sure to receive it. Thank you again.
    aribner1 4 Replies
    • August 10, 2009
    • 01:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi -I am dealing with the exact same symptoms you have described in your post....have searched the net some but really was not able to find any descriptions of symptoms that matched my own, save for your posting. Since yours occurred some time ago (mine appeared late last week), I'm wondering if you would do me the kindness of bringing me up to speed on how the condition progressed with you and what...if anything...you did to treat it.Thank you. --Andrew RibnerPS: please send any response to "aribner1@yahoo.com" so that I will be sure to receive it. Thank you again.I just woke up with a swollen lip and it happens from time to time, also I get welts (or a rash that itches) on just part of my body, it can be anywhere on me. I have asthma (allergic) so I get scared that my throat will close up. I am not sure what I am allergic to, but I don't like it. It only happens once in a while but has happened 2 days in a row now. My lower lip and part of my face was swollen. Perhaps it's dust mites? We wash our sheets 2 times a week, but I live in a dry area and apparently dust mites thrive in dryness. Please let me know what you did for your allergy. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2009
    • 02:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I haven't done anything, really, other than to take an over the counter antihistamine which seems to calm to rash (and its itchiness) down some. The rash appears much more frequently than the swollen, numb upper lip (which has only occurred twice and lasted for only part of the day each time). Over a period of 3 weeks, the symptoms appear to be abating. I simply have no idea what the root cause is. I suspect that if it flares up again I will break down and seek professional help.Good luck to you.I just woke up with a swollen lip and it happens from time to time, also I get welts (or a rash that itches) on just part of my body, it can be anywhere on me. I have asthma (allergic) so I get scared that my throat will close up. I am not sure what I am allergic to, but I don't like it. It only happens once in a while but has happened 2 days in a row now. My lower lip and part of my face was swollen. Perhaps it's dust mites? We wash our sheets 2 times a week, but I live in a dry area and apparently dust mites thrive in dryness. Please let me know what you did for your allergy. Thanks.
    aribner1 4 Replies
    • August 27, 2009
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been battling hives on my torso, arms, legs, and at first one or two small hives on my face. Now I wake up with a small amount of hives, and once last week, last night, and this evening-a swollen top lip, and a small oval swollen spot on the corner of my eye. Not sure what is up?! I purchased a front loading washer, I have heard rumors that they are notorious for causing allergic reactions like mine, do any of you have a front loading washer? I think I am going to break down and see an allergist. I take Zyrtec and Tagamet in the evenings, and Benadryl in the morning-all for allergies and clearly, they are somewhat helping keep control of the hives-but now my face is getting swollen spots, when I haven't eaten a thing!Good luck to all of you, if you find something that helps or answers as to why this is happening to you-please post! Sincerely,Connie
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 26, 2009
    • 00:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Connie -We have identical symptoms. Unfortunately, however, I have no answers yet for either of us. I have been experiencing the symptoms for close to six weeks now and, like you, will likely visit a doctor sometime soon if the symptoms persist. I can tell you that I was taking 25 mg of Bendryl, which did not make too much of a difference. I upped the dosage to 50 mg, taken morning and evenings, which did lessen the discomfort some, and served to diminish the "fiercesomeness" of the welts (they were not as pronounced, or as itchy). The increased dosage made me noticeably groggy, as well as lightheaded, so be careful with how much you take.From everything I read, it does not look too hopeful that physicians will be of much help in identifying the cause of the condition. However, they will likely be able to prescribe things that will deal with the symptoms more effectively. I'm giving it another week to run before I break down and see one.Good luck to you, and I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you discover anything that gives you insight about the condition. --AndrewI have been battling hives on my torso, arms, legs, and at first one or two small hives on my face. Now I wake up with a small amount of hives, and once last week, last night, and this evening-a swollen top lip, and a small oval swollen spot on the corner of my eye. Not sure what is up?! I purchased a front loading washer, I have heard rumors that they are notorious for causing allergic reactions like mine, do any of you have a front loading washer? I think I am going to break down and see an allergist. I take Zyrtec and Tagamet in the evenings, and Benadryl in the morning-all for allergies and clearly, they are somewhat helping keep control of the hives-but now my face is getting swollen spots, when I haven't eaten a thing!Good luck to all of you, if you find something that helps or answers as to why this is happening to you-please post! Sincerely,Connie
    aribner1 4 Replies
    • September 26, 2009
    • 03:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Connie -We have identical symptoms. Unfortunately, however, I have no answers yet for either of us. I have been experiencing the symptoms for close to six weeks now and, like you, will likely visit a doctor sometime soon if the symptoms persist. I can tell you that I was taking 25 mg of Bendryl, which did not make too much of a difference. I upped the dosage to 50 mg, taken morning and evenings, which did lessen the discomfort some, and served to diminish the "fiercesomeness" of the welts (they were not as pronounced, or as itchy). The increased dosage made me noticeably groggy, as well as lightheaded, so be careful with how much you take.From everything I read, it does not look too hopeful that physicians will be of much help in identifying the cause of the condition. However, they will likely be able to prescribe things that will deal with the symptoms more effectively. I'm giving it another week to run before I break down and see one.Good luck to you, and I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you discover anything that gives you insight about the condition. --AndrewCould it be your laundry detergent? My Mom & I have had similar reactions to yours. Try a laundry detergent with no dye and no perfume. Dawn dish soap makes my hands swell and get very itchy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2009
    • 09:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Connie -Two days ago, after no relief from the symptoms for 6 weeks, I consulted with a physician. He prescribed 2 meds: loratidine (10 mg 2 times per day) and ranitidine (150 mg once per day.) The loratidine is sold over the counter, commonly known as "Claritin." (I bought a less well known brand that happened to be on sale for much cheaper than the heavily advertised Claritin). The ranitidine requires a prescription (it's commonly used for acid reflux, but is also used for hives).The reaction was quite dramatic. In 12 hours, the welts were barely noticeable, and the awful itching that accompanied them had nearly completely subsided. Now, 48 hours out, the welts can barely be seen. It feels like a switch was thrown in the cells, turning whatever caused the hives off.Please let me know if you follow this path, and what the outcome is for you if you do.By the way, the physician also asked if I had switched laundry detergents or soaps recently....Good luck. --Andrew Ribner
    aribner1 4 Replies
    • October 3, 2009
    • 02:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you should get skin tested for allergies, but acid in food can bring out herpes 1 on the mouth. Along with your patch test, get a blood test for herpes 1 and then you will be able to rule it out or regulate it with lauricidin and diet.Plus, if you do have it, you would want to avoid oral sex or spreading it other ways (sharing glasses, etc.) You need to know.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • October 5, 2009
    • 02:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Could it be your laundry detergent? My Mom & I have had similar reactions to yours. Try a laundry detergent with no dye and no perfume. Dawn dish soap makes my hands swell and get very itchy.You might want to be tested for an auto immune disorder. I have all these exact symptoms and i have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease which is an auto immune thyroid disorder. It attacks your thyroid, causing your immune system to attack you. The welts and hives in the morning are a tell-tale sign. Look up Mary Shomon on about thyroid BEFORE seeing a doctor, her site has lots of info.Then see an endocrinologist and an immunologist.You can email me at:rip@mendedpieces.com if you have any questions.It took me 10 years to find out what this was...Make sure to say "Thyroid" in the subject line.Tricia
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2009
    • 11:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You're having some type of allergy - to something. See an allergist/immunologist and ask them to check histamine, tryptase and other blood work. Zyrtec helps get rid of severe allergic reactions pretty fast. However, with lips swelling, your throat could close too so youhave to find the cause - see someone asap.Good luckI am 19 and every mouth I get swollen lips...
    rainsky 28 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 08:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have had similar symptoms, though not so pronounced. For a while I thought maybe it was peppermint or seafood after some sever itching cases. When I tried to reproduce the symptoms, it didn't work. I saw an allergist at the urging of my wife, who suggested it might get worse and end up causing serious problems. The allergist was no help. A full food allergy test revealed no allergies.I have noticed that the itching gets worse when my face gets flushed or does my face get flushed for the same reason I'm itching? Who knows. I think I'm going to try cutting out the fabric softener for a while to see if anything changes. If not, I'll try switching back to the laundry detergent my mom always used when I was growing up. Good luck folks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2009
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are some reasons of having these allergies; some of those are the food we eat and even the place where we go. There are a lot of changes in our body and can actually make us irritated. But still we can go for a consultation about it. Thanks for letting me post my ideas.Have a nice day ahead!!:) "Stop having Allergies":cool:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 00:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Rash, welts, and swollen lipsAbout 3 weeks ago I started getting a rash an thought I just had really bad dry skin and started applying skin moisturizer liberally, it did very little to alleviate the itching. I lived with this for a couple more days when welts started to appear on my buttocks, arms, back and chest. Two days later I woke up with a swollen bottom lip. At this point I started reading about this Sudden Swollen Llip malady on the net and started taking Benadryl tablets. I started with 1 in the morning as this is when the symptoms started to occur around 5am, which were waking me up. For many days that seemed to keep everything under control and then a few days ago I woke up with the rash and an upper swollen lip. At this point I took 2 Benadryl that morning and it took about 4 hours before I started looking normal enough to go to work. Today I started having a funny sensation in my throat at work and felt my lips starting to tingle, I took a couple Benadryl and left the office for home. I have about a 40 minutes drive and within about 20 minutes my upper lip left side started to swell. The swelling then moved to the right upper by the time I got home and finally the upper center started to swell. After about another hour the bottom left and right were swelling , however the center bottom didn't swell, this is weird stuff.Some thoughts:I started using Blistex lip balm (blue tube stuff) about the time this started which I am not going to discontinue.I had originally thought early on that the rash may have been due to a new clothing detergent my wife started using which we discontinued, at which point we went back to the old stuff and washed everything in the house twice, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect all the symptoms' are still there.I have not been eating anything new but am thinking now that the chemicals in one of the products I eat may have changed or added, possibly a preservative in something. I read the most comment foods that can do this and one thing I do eat a lot of is tuna which I am going to discontinue for a while to see if it has any effect. A also rarely drink milk but have a few time since this started happening so I going to stop drinking that as well for a while.One other thing that is different from the time this started is we bought to very large humidifiers for the house and we put a cap full of bacteriostat and a another chemical that treats the water to prevent lime and calcium build up. I'm going to continue to run the humidifier without putting the chemicals in the water. I am a bit concerned if it was the water treatment chemicals for the humidifier because the chemicals would be on every surface in the house, and it amy take awhile for them to break down. An interesting thing I read was one person thought they might have been allergic to something in a new shampoo she was trying which she also discontinued with good results, which makes me wonder if the pillow has the all over it. My wife had some new shampoo that I gave a try about when this started which I will also not use again as a precautionary measure I'm probably going to dump my pillow and buying a new one just to be on the safe side as that is the only article on the bed that has not been washed and my pillow is not washer safe. She wrote:"I discovered the cause of waking up in the morning with a swollen lip and/or tongue. I am allergic to a Redken hair product called "Disrupt" -- when I sleep at night, a small amount of the hair product residue is left on the pillow which gets rubbed on my face/lips/tongue during the night. If you're waking up with swollen lips, suspect your hair product(s) and/or cosmetics. To test, dab a small amount on your lips, then wipe it off. If it swells, you know you're allergic to that produc."Things to think about which I have read from other posts:Household chemicals. Products such as air fresheners, candles, dish soaps and cleaners can all cause allergic reactions, especially when it comes to added scenting. What you're putting into the air with a "vanilla breeze" freshener or "apple pie" candle is probably manufactured artificially scented.Keep track of your diet, paying special attention to nuts (peanuts and tree nuts), milk, eggs, wheat, soy, fish, and shellfish, as these foods account for 90% of all food reactions.Cosmetic items. A great many chemicals and dyes, as well as unexpected animal products, constitute makeup and other beauty products. Change you lipstick, your chap-stick, and your other makeup items.Drugs. Upon being informed of your allergic reaction, your doctor is likely to consider your prescriptions and change any new prescriptions to ones that won't give you an allergic reaction if he can. Over-the-counter drugs can cause allergies too, so pay attention to what painkillers, cough syrups, and other medicines you use. Remember that even if you've been using an item for a while without problems, an allergy to it can pop up without warning.I also wonder if there is something we all have in common, things we eat or drink, a drug or hygiene product. If you want to discuss ideas you can email me at bdsand@sbcglobal.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2010
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to agree with the person that suggested autoimmune. Its worth getting the test and at least putting it to rest. I have Lupus and my symptoms for 20 years have been welts on my face and lips, now in my eyebrows. I have to deal with mine by taking prednisone and plaquenil.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I recently started having the same problem, on Christmas day I ate strawberries and my lips swelled, for the next few weeks I kept a food diary and found out that strawberries, oranges, tomatoes and peppers do the same thing. It has been severe at times, the welts are huge, all over my body, and I have woken up 5 time with swollen lips and face, it's scary. I read the post about acid in food, I thought that was it, but I can eat a raw lemon with no effect, but not an orange. Benadryl helps a lot if you take double the dosage. But you can't live on Benadryl, it makes me so sleepy I only take it at nite. I am wondering if I have some immune problem or an allergy. I have an appointment with an allergy doctor. So far my family doctor just gave me some cream for it and said I was stressed. I read a lot about food allergies, my husband is allergic to shellfish, and his reaction is immediate. That's how food allergies are, within a couple of hours, but my hives and swelling face happens overnite or about 8 hours later. I'm really not even sure if it is those foods, but they do seem to trigger it. I would like to hear from anyone who has this problem and what they've found out about it. Shellbillyandshell12@yahoo.com
    shell8362 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have lived with these undiagnosed symptoms since the age of 10, now I'm 34. I was finally diagnosed a little under a year ago and lived with severe anaphylactic reactions for over 3 yrs before getting proper testing. Yes, I have food allergies amongst many, many others, but 2 more that are unusual and seriously life threatening. I was considered completely autoimmune up until 6 months ago. The other 2 serious conditions/ allergies were to my own sweat and to my own hormones. I'm severely allergic to my own Progesterone. The condition is called Autoimmune Progesterone Anaphylaxis, Progesterone Induced Anaphylaxis, or Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis (AIPA/ APD). I have researched for years and years on these topics, about unusual allergies, which is how I was able to get diagnosis in the first place. I have even been able to develop my own natural organic treatment which has allowed my remission for the last few months. I just started a new website and have published my story for others suffering things like this. There is no awareness for the female hormone allergy and most doctors do not even know it exists. They also refuse to run specific tests to check for certain blood levels that are vital for positive diagnosis.
  • I was diagnosed with idiopathic anaphylaxis which means that I suffer from anaphylaxis but doctors don't know what the cause is. I did a search on the post above to see if I could find the information on autoimmune progesterone anaphylaxis and there is a full story on Hubpages.com. I think the link is :http://hubpages.com/_wrongdiagnosis/profile/She-rahIt's called "I'm Allergic To My Hormones!" I printed the information and am taking it to my doctor to get tested for this. I think this might be my problem! I also contacted the person that wrote it to get more information and find out what I need to tell my doctor.
  • I am 19 and every mouth I get swollen lips with itchy welts all over my body!! First time I got them I had chilly and like 2 hours later I got welts and swollen lips, 2nd time I woke up with welts all over my body and later that day I was just siting at the firehouse on the computer and out of no where my lips got swollen again. I didnt eat anything that day till after they got bigger and that was pizza. 3rd time i just woke up and again i had welts on my skin and they itched like crazy and I want to make cookies with my friend and my lips again got bigger. and this mouth I was at the firehouse again just came back from a 911 call and again they were big. I get the welts a lot more then my lips get swollen. For that I got this antitch cream and it works but when it dont I have to get in the tub with dawn dish soap and very hot water to make it stop. I need answers and yes I am an EMT so you think I would no this stuff but I dont and I am going insane PLEASE HELP!!:(:(:(:(I am going thru the same thing i am about to go to the doctor, its seems like its getting worst on my body, like u say my lips dont get swollen alot. let me know if r symtoms went away. i need help tooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2010
    • 01:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello All, Just as most of you, I too have been struggling with occasional swollen lip and itchy hives. Before seeing an allergist, I made a log of all the foods and liquids I ate on days when I was experiencing these reactions. I noticed that juices, certain fruits like pineapple and strawberries, tomato sauce, and pickles were eaten and a short while later I would have either a swollen lip, hives, or both! I went to the emergency room one time because not only my lip swelled up but my eyes as well. I freaked so immediately went to hospital. The doctor said it was most likely and allergic reaction to citrus and said that the facial swelling is called "angioedema." She gave me 25mg of Prednisone and swelling subsided almost immediately. She told me to follow up with an allergist. So that same week I saw an allergist and he said that he didn't believe that I was necessarily allergic to citrus but a preservative. After testing was said and done, I am not allergic to citrus. Ok, so now what? Doctor said that it is very difficult to diagnose a preservative intolerance. Yeah, by the way, an allergy to a chemical or preservative is called an intolerance. Anyway, he told me my symptoms were similar to another patient of his who cannot intake or use anything with "salicylate." Right away I went through my fridge and avoided anything with this ingredient....and what do you know? It's in BBQ sauce, ketchup, pickles, juices, berries, sauces...etc. It is also in some soaps and body washes too! It is everywhere. I avoided it as much as I could and the reactions have ceased. Thank God! Rarely am I having to deal with it, and that is because I can't look at the ingredients in certain things like lunch meats, and restaurant foods, etc. But when I do have an 'attack' I like to say, I take a Zyrtec and within an hour I am fine.Sorry this story and information was sooooo long, but I figured that I would share my whole ordeal with the swollen lip and hives.Take Care!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 08:53 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement