Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

lower abdomen

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Mainewood
  • December 14, 2008
  • 11:38 AM

I have a (warm), almost burning sensation in the lower left side of my abdomen just above the groin area. It is not warm to the touch and there is no pain when I touch the area. I have had this sensation for about a month. I have been examined by a general practicioner who is not able to diagnose it at this time. I am a male aged 48 who is otherwise healthy. :confused::cool:

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Lower left side can also be diverticulitis. Has this been mentioned to you?
    Beth56 272 Replies
    • December 14, 2008
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be abdominal cutaneous nerve entrapment .:)
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 14, 2008
    • 08:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your response, Beth56. I checked the symptoms for diverticultis and I do not have any of them.
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 15, 2008
    • 00:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be abdominal cutaneous nerve entrapment .:) richard, I found this definition: Meralgia paresthetica is an entrapment or "pinching" of the nerve that supplies sensation to the outer portion of the thigh. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes "entrapped" as it passes under the ligament of the groin. The pressure on the nerve causes abnormal sensations of burning, pain, and numbness in the distribution of this nerve, the outer and part of the front of the thigh. The area I feel "burning" is confined to the lower left abdomen about the size of my palm.
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 15, 2008
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is different from meralgia paresthetica,but it's similar in that a specific nerve in the abdominal wall gets trapped by something,often scar tissue,and it causes localized symptoms very similar to what you described.:)
    • December 15, 2008
    • 00:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks, Richard. I will continue to investigate.
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 15, 2008
    • 11:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Another thing I just remembered is that often you can feel an area of localized tenderness with abd.cutaneous nerve entrapment.Do have such a spot?
    • December 15, 2008
    • 02:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • the only thing I am noticing is the persistant warm, burning sensation in the left side of my lower abdomen just above the groin. I do not have any area that is sensitive to touch including the above mentioned area.:confused:
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 00:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Can I please obtain some further clarification? Does stretching the area by either arching the body outward or alternatively extending the leg to the limits of range of motion backward and holding the position for a few moments cause any change in the sensation? Does the sensation feel related to the surface of the skin or more deeply within the tissues? Lastly, is there any period when the sensation seems to diminish or is it purely constant? In the absence of other symptoms, the most likely cause of the symptom of the duration you describe would be a medial strain of the lower head of the left external oblique muscle, possibly the lower left rectus abdominis. In rare cases, a small calculi in the ureter can also cause the sensation you describe, yet not demonstrate other more common features of a stone. A CT scan can usually detect it if present. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 01:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi J Cottle... Sorry to post on this thread, just wanted to give you a heads up on a case posted under 'tell us your misdiag story' under a title along the lines of 'i'm so frustrated with being sick'AI dz in a young woman, I think your expertise would be well received.
    fewd4thought 126 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 01:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No apology necessary at all and thank you for bringing the post to my attention. I have looked in the category mentioned back several months and unfortunately, I'm unable to locate the particular posting that you've mentioned. If there is a means to bring the posting to the head of the category, I will be more than happy to review it and respond. At 84, I'm afraid that I can still type much better than I can see these days. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 02:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Okay, I believe I've located it under the forum heading of Tell Us Your Medical Story. I think your description was mixing two separate categories of Share your Misdiagnosis with the other one mentioned. Not a problem. I'll take a look. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 02:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • J Cottle, thanks for your reply. I do not notice any significant change in sensation when I extend my leg backwards. The sensation is deep within the tissue rather than on the surface. The sensation seems to be constant. thanks...
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 00:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • J Cottle, thanks for your reply. I do not notice any significant change in sensation when I extend my leg backwards. The sensation is deep within the tissue rather than on the surface. The sensation seems to be constant. thanks...
    Mainewood 6 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 00:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Okay, I believe I've located it under the forum heading of Tell Us Your Medical Story. I think your description was mixing two separate categories of Share your Misdiagnosis with the other one mentioned. Not a problem. I'll take a look. Best regards, J Cottle, MD Thanks. I'm sure I did goof the category. Anywho, I'm not too sure why people haven't told this woman she has scleroderma, but maybe I'm being short sighted.
    fewd4thought 126 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 07:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Okay, if no change is experienced I would seek a referral from your GP to urology where they will likely obtain a CT of the ureter and possibly take a look at your bladder. I think it less likely to be a muscle strain at this point, but I'm also rather luke warm about a stone due to the timeframe in the absence of other symptoms. Still, it should be ruled out. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 10:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a patient experiencing colon pain and spasms. She sent an email to me explaining her condition and history. Could you give me your e-mail address so I can forward her e-mail ande hopefully get her some help? Thanks. All the best,STEPCHILDGUITAR
    stepchildguitar 7 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 03:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, I would ask if possible that you simply cut and paste it to the forum as a new thread, unless it is too lengthy or if certain information within makes it impractical. I only ask because along with this forum, I write to a forum that belongs to me which takes up some time as well. There is also a point of contact used wherein I provide consult on occasion. At 84, I can tend to get somewhat saturated quickly. If it is absolutely necessary, I will forward an email address, but if possible please try and post it to the forum. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 03:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dr Cottle, do you mean you have your own forum? Is it directed towards medical personel? Would you mind sharing the address of the website? I find your posts so very interesting! Sorry for hi-jacking another thread. :)
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 09:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, yes I am female, 26 years old. As far as my family and personal medical history...I have what I believe to be a hiatel hernia( horrible chest pain, it felt muscular and skeletal, plus sometimes heartburn) I had this pain for a while. I thought it was my heart (I do have a sligth murmer that I was told is not anything to worry about) , this added to my stress which in turn most likely made it worse my doctor ordered an ekg, stress test, etc. you name it and found nothing , just last month i thought that I developed an ulcer. I havent had any symptoms of it lately though.I had an irritated stomach lining 2 years ago that was diagnosed by a UGD test and another I cant remember the name of .Where they made me drink a liquid that was pretty much chalk, the next day when I had to use the restroom, I couldnt, the chalk pretty much turned to hard clay in my colon so that would be the only trauma I could think of to my rectum or colon because it was very, very painful when I actually did release my bowels. This made me think that it could be an anal fissure.Than I came across "proctalgia fugax" that sounds like my symptoms as well. I research my symptoms and also work in the medical field so I get some ideas about what things could be...sounds silly I know but I don't have insurance so this is why I "self diagnose" and use the phrase "what I believe to be" No neurological problems, I am pretty stressed most of the time, I am a full time student, and work alot, not to mention stresses of everyday life. No family illness that I know of.
    stepchildguitar 7 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 09:40 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement