Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Blacked out after bowel movement

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 18 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 13, 2008
  • 03:10 AM

This is really strange. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I will get up out of bed, head to the bathroom, start having a bowel movement, then almost immediately I start sweating profusely, feel sick to my stomach and have shallow breathing. The last time this happened, I tried to make it back to bed to cool off under the fan, but blacked out and fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my head on my hopechest and thats when I started to come out of it. It was just a matter of seconds. (So says my husband) This fainting spell has only happened once. Usually I make it back to bed (barely). Does anyone have this occur to them? I would really like to know what's going on with me. Any ideas?

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Are you straining to have a B.M.?If so,you're performing a Valsalva Maneuver,which can cause dizziness or even loss of consciousness.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 29, 2008
    • 01:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really strange. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I will get up out of bed, head to the bathroom, start having a bowel movement, then almost immediately I start sweating profusely, feel sick to my stomach and have shallow breathing. The last time this happened, I tried to make it back to bed to cool off under the fan, but blacked out and fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my head on my hopechest and thats when I started to come out of it. It was just a matter of seconds. (So says my husband) This fainting spell has only happened once. Usually I make it back to bed (barely). Does anyone have this occur to them? I would really like to know what's going on with me. Any ideas?this could very likely be a heart condition, plz see a doctor about this to see if additional treatment or medication is required, i have a heart condition that causes fainting and this is not something you want to leave untreated
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2009
    • 04:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really strange. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I will get up out of bed, head to the bathroom, start having a bowel movement, then almost immediately I start sweating profusely, feel sick to my stomach and have shallow breathing. The last time this happened, I tried to make it back to bed to cool off under the fan, but blacked out and fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my head on my hopechest and thats when I started to come out of it. It was just a matter of seconds. (So says my husband) This fainting spell has only happened once. Usually I make it back to bed (barely). Does anyone have this occur to them? I would really like to know what's going on with me. Any ideas?I experienced this about 6 months ago & was rushed to the hospital where they diagnosed it as the vagus nerve affected by straining in the bowel.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2009
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I experienced this about 6 months ago & was rushed to the hospital where they diagnosed it as the vagus nerve affected by straining in the bowel. Can a person die because they were constipated and tried too hard to go to the bathroom and triggered this nerve somehow from straining?
    Mattoo 5 Replies
    • December 23, 2009
    • 03:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Can a person die because they were constipated and tried too hard to go to the bathroom and triggered this nerve somehow from straining?What you experiences was a rapid drop in blood pressure and blood motivation. It is quite common in extremely fatigued people. If you imagine a car engine that has been unused for some time being revved up all of a sudden and then reduced to a crawl the car is going to stall. The same situation has occurred with your heart as you have been sleeping, woken up your BP has spiked and HR has also spiked because you have gone from a sedentary position to an elevated one (waking up) in such a short space of time. The act of passing a bowel movement is a very strenuous one for the body is required the blood and oxygen in your body to rush to your colon to aid in evacuation of the stool. The Vagal nerve is activated during a bowel movement when bearing down to protect your heart and body from massive BP spikes. So in conclusion look at it like this, you were sleeping, you had a rapid increase in Blood Pressure and heart rate to bring your body back to normality after sleeping and it was abrupt, you then performed a very strenuous task that activated the vagal nerve telling your heart to lower its rate and thus your blood pressure. All the blood diverted to the colon, immediate symptom fainting.I would follow up with your doctor to assess the possibility of a heart condition. It sounds like it could be something very minor but also has the possibility of being something that will require treatment,Ask for a 2D Echo and a stress test (you need both these tests in this situation).Hope this helps,Paul5th Year Med Student (Cardiology).This is not intended to substitute a visit to your doctor, it is simply some advice.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 10:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really strange. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I will get up out of bed, head to the bathroom, start having a bowel movement, then almost immediately I start sweating profusely, feel sick to my stomach and have shallow breathing. The last time this happened, I tried to make it back to bed to cool off under the fan, but blacked out and fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my head on my hopechest and thats when I started to come out of it. It was just a matter of seconds. (So says my husband) This fainting spell has only happened once. Usually I make it back to bed (barely). Does anyone have this occur to them? I would really like to know what's going on with me. Any ideas?more likely its caused due to straining in adition to stimulation of the vagus nerve.in any case u should be examined by a physician so u can check also your electrolytes and heart just in case.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 02:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really strange. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I will get up out of bed, head to the bathroom, start having a bowel movement, then almost immediately I start sweating profusely, feel sick to my stomach and have shallow breathing. The last time this happened, I tried to make it back to bed to cool off under the fan, but blacked out and fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my head on my hopechest and thats when I started to come out of it. It was just a matter of seconds. (So says my husband) This fainting spell has only happened once. Usually I make it back to bed (barely). Does anyone have this occur to them? I would really like to know what's going on with me. Any ideas? This same exact thing happens to me 2-3 times a year; however, I also have abdominal pain which is what wakes me up in the first place. The stool is loose but not runny like diarrhea but very stinky!. I also have profuse cold sweating. I fall off of the toilet and wake up on the floor during one of these episodes, and I usually go to the bathroom on myself when I am passed out (urine and feces). My husband said I had a seizure during one episode when I was unconscious longer than usual. I have been known to vomit at the same time that the movement is occurring. I saw a doctor about it and he didn't seem too concerned...he said not to strain too hard when I go to the bathroom. I explained to him that I don't strain at all because I am usually so nauseous and the room is spinning and I'm trying to hold back the vomit that I don't even think of trying to have a bowel movement. I wish I had an answer for you (or someone has one for the both of us!). I worry that this will happen while I am work. I have an appointment with another doctor in a couple of weeks since I had one of these episodes two weekends ago. I will post any new information that I may be able to get!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2010
    • 02:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I think this is very common as you can see by how many ppl have posted back to you. I'm a Nurse & my "Suggestions" to you is Labs, EEG Because of the ? passing out. EKG checking the heart Rhythm. This Problem is called Vasal Vagal Syncope. The vagus nerve is the nerve of the muscle in the throat and the larynx, and is the nerve that slows the rate of the heartbeat and supplies the parasympathetic nerves to the lungs, the stomach, the esophagus, and other abdominal organs. arasympathetic means the nerves pertaining to the autonomic nervous system; the system which is concerned with control of involuntary bodily functions. Stimulating the parasympathetic nerves generally produces vasodilation of the part supplied; in general, it slows the heart rate, decreases the blood pressure; contracts the pupils; causes copious secretion of the saliva; and increases gastrointestinal activity. Stimulation of the vagus causes slowing of the heart rate and, if sufficient, can cause fainting or even cardiac arrest. Usually, when this happens, the heart's ventricles start beating on their own despite continued vagal stimulation.In the moment-to-moment regulation of heart rate at rest, the vagal influence is dominant and, particularly in athletes with low resting heart rates, this 'vagal tone' can be considerable. Hypotension, or low blood pressure, is associated with increased nervous system activation and increased heart rate, but one type, hypovolemic hypotension, occurring after hemorrhage or certain drugs, induces a decrease in heart rate. Both effects result from abnormal excitation of the vagus nerve, and hence, the term used to describe the loss of consciousness that may result is vasovagal syncope.After passing out it does help to get the person in bed with there legs elevated. Also some studies have suggested to increase your salt intake.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2010
    • 11:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This same exact thing happens to me 2-3 times a year; however, I also have abdominal pain which is what wakes me up in the first place. The stool is loose but not runny like diarrhea but very stinky!. I also have profuse cold sweating. I fall off of the toilet and wake up on the floor during one of these episodes, and I usually go to the bathroom on myself when I am passed out (urine and feces). My husband said I had a seizure during one episode when I was unconscious longer than usual. I have been known to vomit at the same time that the movement is occurring. I saw a doctor about it and he didn't seem too concerned...he said not to strain too hard when I go to the bathroom. I explained to him that I don't strain at all because I am usually so nauseous and the room is spinning and I'm trying to hold back the vomit that I don't even think of trying to have a bowel movement. I wish I had an answer for you (or someone has one for the both of us!). I worry that this will happen while I am work. I have an appointment with another doctor in a couple of weeks since I had one of these episodes two weekends ago. I will post any new information that I may be able to get!i also experienced this but actually went to the hospital they said i anaphylactic shock but it has happened 3 more times since not any particular time of day or night . I also had a colonascopy 3 days before the first one which was the worst one. Doctor says its just a coincedence. It's getting scary because i don't know when it is going to happen. did you ever find anything out
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2011
    • 06:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow the same thing happened to me a few months ago, I had 3 bowels movements within 1 hour, and the last 2 were watery. Suddenly I feel very ill, like I was going to faint. My son checked my blood sugar & it was OK but my BP was extremely low. I take meds for High BP. I drank a coke and then I was fine. Yesterday, after an explosive bowel movement, after I ate something that made me sick, the samething began to happen, I made it to my desk & drank a coke. I was fine after that. I just had an echo done, and my heart is fine. I did not have a watery movement this time but my stomach was killing me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a long history with this, and have discusssed it with my cardiologist (one of the top electrophysiologists in the US). He's not concerned, but may be after my lat episode. I've done this several times (never with loose stools, and not usually while straining). It is scary, because passing out on my toilet means i could very well hit my head on the bathtub. I know someome who died after a fall in the bathroom ( while headed there) and someone who broke her nose by hitting it on the toilet while vomiting. It's a legitamate concern, even if it's not dangerous in and of itself. I do have low blood pressure and I have vaso-vagal syndrome. My dd does too. We're told it's not dangerous, but that is not completely true. 85% of people who are needle-phobic have it and there are 35 documented cases of people dying from having blood drawn because of it. My dd is needle-phobic, and has to take a valium before a blood draw because she has gone into shock from it. Our doctor says that happens all the time! Also, I have atrial fibrillation. My heart beats very inefficientky from that, so a vasal-vagas episode could logically make a bad situation worse. At least, it seems logical tht it could. I have had two bizarre episodes. I was when I was 14, and woke up with an urgent need to to have a bowel movement. I was camping, and as I walked out of the tent, I passed out and hung myself on the tent line. My friend walked up, saw me, and pulled me to the ground. I came to and insisted on getting to the bathroom. I was very weak and ill for a few days afterwards. My dad said it was heat prostration, and he and his sister had had it. So, today, 40 years later, a similar thing happened. i've had a respiratory infrction, so am not feeling great, but felt up to cleaning the garage with my family. I took a break and then went back to help move a book case. It wasn't heavy, but as I put it down, I said I felt my back seize up. Then, I said I felt faint and sat down. I felt the room close in and nausea. My dd asked if I wanted a wet washcloth and I indicated yes, and thqt is the last thing I remember. Then I became awarer of my heart pounding very hard. Steady, but very forcefully. And a need to have a bowel movement. I know I came to slowly, because I was aware of several things. Debating in my head whether this was a heart attack or a stroke. My dh and dd discussing with each other and with me what was going on and what I needed. But I could not respond for a long time. I know I was completely out, because they said they kept telling me to put my head against the metal side of the book case. They know this brings me back whenever I feel faint. I never heard that at all. I also know I was unconscious, because they know I faint, and don't get overly concerned, but today, they were. The wet cloth brought me back but it got hot, so I must have been really hot ( the weather is slightly cool today). My dh helped me to the bathroom, and afterwards, I felt well, other than being a little weak in the knees. I did not feel like this was a heart attack or stroke. It felt exactly like when I supposedly had heat prostration 40 years ago, but I have not gotten overheated today or at anypoint recently. I suspect I have a kink somewhere in my lower GI system, that cuts off blood circulation when waste is at a certain point. Yes, that makes it vasal vagas, but at what point does it become a serious health concern? It is hazardous at the least. By coincidence, I am having an echocardiogram on Tuesday. I expect to learn nothing new, because i brought this up at my last one, but i intend to press the point. If I learn anything,, I'll repost.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Same thing happened to me the other night. 3 times total. I was 20 the first time I passed out. Stomach was cramping so bad that it woke me up. Got up to go no straining involved, mostly diarrhea. I was trying to go get help but hit my head on a wall. Second time I just fell in the floor. The other night I knew better than to get up from the toilet so I sat there took deep breaths and prayed. As soon as I felt a little better I ran back to bed. It is such a scary feeling. The next day I felt really weak and my arms and chest were sore. When I mentioned this to my doctor he brushed it off. I didn't know at the time that I was pregnant, later miscarried thought that might have had something to do with it.
  • I don't think anyone knows the real reason this happens! :confused: I don't care what title you wear you simple don't know! It the feeling of impending DOOM! Literally like your going to die,pain immense, sweating profusely & heart beats a mile a minute, nausea & if it don't end soon (could out up to an hours time) you simple want to die! It feels better then this horrific hellish feeling! The 1st time it happened to me I thought I had Pill Poison, mixed up pills & I was so sick I was crawling to the bathroom hanging on to my life by my will to love & the grace of high. I didn't want my family to find me like that is the only reason I even bothered going to the bathroom, I almost passed out that night! Its after I take that last swig or bite of something so I'm thinking food poison or lactose intolerance? But no now my granddaughter is having this & she's 8 yrs old! I went to the hospital b/c of this ailment once, they said I had septics huh? I was held over night & still they don't know! I believe from my experience it has something to do w/bowels & not going routinely...but why won't they study the reasons b/c it's no joke & how long do you all think the heart can tolerate this Esp. my granddaughter dear good God she's only 8 and it's not going to be good w/her the rest of her young life!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 18, 2013
    • 10:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I want to add a few factors to my other post on this issue; perhaps it will help patients & health care professionals. My to kids have these issues as well, we all had constipation concerns I believe from medication specifically pain meds that will constipate one when using them and/or not enough fiber i.e. So therefore I am convinced this has something to do w/keeping the bowels clean period! So while they are looking/guessing I believe they are looking down the wrong paths, it’s not the heart/or any related thing/s they THINK it is, I always can see the forest b/c I ‘m not bombarded w/all the tree’s in my way. I don’t have to make left/right or zigzag turns b/c I have learned and/or experienced the way to the cure w/facts & wisdom from all my readings on all sorts of literature etc. I always fit the pegs in the right hole. I am not weighed down w/all the detailing it to death if you will, so I go straight to the source. Please look at this reason for our bowel issues. Get ur colon cheeked/checked! I did have colon cancer & they said it might have been festering as early as my 20’s had successful surgery mid 40’s now I am in my early 50’s. Don’t freak out, both my Aunts had it too; so it’s hereditary or we all had constipation issues? However, lazy eye runs in the female side as well. One Aunt died from CC, the other is in her late 80’s having the same surgery as me. Third stage I will add, but however similar in the pain division, I didn’t have the other symptoms either. However, I believe it is all related & this is why it is serious to have a colonoscopy, that was the easy part for me. No big deal, but the latter will be if you wanna take this chance ok? I felt compelled to post this & if it wasn’t for my dear one who’s only 8 yrs old having the same issues w/bowels & sweats etc.I may not of ever done this… I haven’t had the problem myself for over a year but then again I am eating dry cereals & oatmeal etc…Best to all of you my dear sweet friend, for I am connected to you all in this awful thing that we go through. We all need to make the Doctors aware that this is real, it’s not what they THINK it is & give them this message I send to you here. Bless you all & pray for my granddaughter as I have always prayed for anyone who goes through this NIGHTMARE Peace~
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2013
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You most likely have Vasovagal Syncope also known as Neurocardiogenic Syncope. You should request to have what is called a Tilt table test. This test will help you find out how bad a faint can be for you. Some people have had their heart stop because of a fainting episode. Worst case senerio you would need a pacemaker. I also have this condition. The last time I fainted I was using the toilet as well. I ended up with a sprained ankle...
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • January 18, 2014
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this happen to me several times in my life. Most of the time this happens is when I have belly pains and loose stools. In the middle of a loose bowel movement, I feel dizzy, nauseous, lightheaded, and that i am going to pass out. I try to slow my breathing and put my head down between my legs, but nothing works. I end up falling over onto the ground off the toilet, usually having bowel movement on myself after I fall. It is the most awful feeling in the world.

Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had 3 episodes almost identical to the ones described above. Abdominal pain and cramping followed by diarrhea then entire body becomes engulfed in ice cold sweat. Then my legs and arm go completely limp and numb. Immediately followed by feeling faint. First time I collapsed on my way back to my bed. Second time I collapsed into my tub. Last episode was last night with complete loss of consciousness and awoke on the bathroom floor. Hit my head. The 2nd & last episode I passed bloody stool
    Namaste 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Has anyone had the fainting feeling or full episode (awaken, pain, diarrhea, nausea, fainting). Then frequent intermittent bowel movements next few hours with cramping. Except just blood-no feces. Colonoscopy results lymphoid aggregates. EGD diagnosed Barrett's Esophagus. I am unable to eat or hold food down for months. When I can keep food down this occurs. Lump under right ribcage. MRI hemangioma or nidus AVM on liver, sludge-stones gallbladder. HIDA normal. orthostatic tachycardia 110-143bpm
    Namaste 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement