Discussions By Condition: Nose conditions

Unable to smell or taste

Posted In: Nose conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: 1honeycomb
  • December 11, 2008
  • 04:11 AM

I have been unable to taste or smell for @ 6 months now, had CT & MRI and nothings seems to be wrong, took antibiotics and Medrol Pack & still no senses back, my doctors gave me 50/50 chance that senses will come back. has anybody had these symptoms, if so, what helped? I need help

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I have been unable to taste or smell for @ 6 months now, had CT & MRI and nothings seems to be wrong, took antibiotics and Medrol Pack & still no senses back, my doctors gave me 50/50 chance that senses will come back. has anybody had these symptoms, if so, what helped? I need helpMy grandmother lost her sense of taste, but she was also throwing up everytime she ate also. The doctor did tests, but could not find what was wrong. The doctor wanted to put a tube down her throat, but she refused.(which I cant blame her.) although now adays they can put someone to sleep during it if requested. Anyway, this lasted 6 months to a year. Finally she woke up with sores all over her face, and she was really sick. She looked terrible. Still, she waited a day before she went to the doctor. They put a tube in her throat,and she stopped breathing, and had a heart attack. Then they had to do a emergency operation, and found out she had a hernia. The hernia had gotten into her lungs and exploded(not sure thats the right term, but close to that.) She was in the hospital,still alive, but the doctors told us she was going to die. Because of her age,she never recovered. This is probably not whats wrong with you, because you are not throwing up, although it wouldn't hurt for you to mention this to your doctor and have the tube thing done. If she would have had that tube thing done in the first place, she probably wouldn't have died.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2009
    • 01:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 12 years ago I lost my sense of smell, which greatly affected taste, for no apparent reason. It was possibly due to a head injury I had as a child, triggered by orthodontia work in my 30's, but no doctor has made an attempt to figure it out. MRI and CT scan didn't show anything relevant, or so I have been told. Still have no idea why and it's not good. I can't smell gas or smoke and have nearly burned the house down many times. Flip side, my friend's mom lost her sense of smell and it was a brain tumor requiring immediate surgery.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi there,Even i am suffering with the same condition but my nose gets blocked even in summer
    jacky0403 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • Also lost my taste for about 2 weeks, worst feeling ever. All i could feel was the texture. Apparently it was due to some infection, not sure how i got it, took some antibiotics, taste returned
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. When I was about 35 I realised that my sense of smell was gradually waning. Over about 6 months it crashed completely. The ENTs first suggestion was cortisone tablets. Hooray, it came back -- but then went again only a few weeks later. Next they did a nose operation to clear out obstructions eg polyps. Hooray, it came back -- but this time only for a few days. I had the op done again with no luck (it's a bit dodgy as the smell receptors are right up near the brain) and that's the way it's been for 20 years. I've got used to it and still enjoy food a lot, though I remember well and miss the delicious smells. ENTs still have no answer for it. Only consolation is when the dog ***** and unblocking the drains!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 14, 2011
    • 08:29 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement