Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Why am i losing weight?

Posted In: Medical Stories 15 Replies
  • Posted By: kodolistro
  • December 10, 2008
  • 02:54 PM

Hi all here is my story months back id say around 4months or so i noticed myself start to lose weight around my mid section for no apparent reason i.e ribs begginning to show, firstly it started with two so i thought nothing of it due to me having a fair amount of muscle due to going to the gym.

Then as the months went on i began losing weight for no apparrent reason my diet is fine, i also do not take drugs. So i visited the doctor explained what was wrong they sent me for a blood test although did not weigh me. Blood test came back everything was okay. So i thought nothing of it although i still blatently losing weight i began to lose muscle on my back, arms, shoulders, chest etc so i knew something was wrong. So i revisited the doctors he stated i was an unhealthy weight for my age and size asked me if i had any symptoms although i did not.

So i returned 3 weeks later and had lost 4lbs in 2 weeks in that time i had lost weight around my joints elbows were alot bonier so were shoulders and knees. I had also lost alot of weight off my forearms and elbows so i went for a blood test anda chest x ray and returned 3 weeks later which was yesterday. Because i had stayed exactly the same weight the "doctor said what do you want us to do for you?" although i was still an unhealthy weight for my age and bmi wasnt suited either. So i said i know im still losing weight around my joints etc i can see it i had also started to lose weight off my legs top and bottom now so i personally know this isnt normal and he said i cant do anything because you have no symptoms.

Now im in the position that i believe this doctor is trying to fob me off due to past comments etc i know theres something wrong with me i cant wear a tshirt without it sticking to my ribcage and showing evidently that i am skinny and have only skin surrounding my ribcage, i am very insecure about my weight now and appearence and all the doctor has said is leave it another month and i fear by that time ill look like a skeleton and be nowhere near a reason for my weight loss?

Please help if you can i could really use it thanks all for listening

Richard
:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• Hi all here is my story months back id say around 4months or so i noticed myself start to lose weight around my mid section for no apparent reason i.e ribs begginning to show, firstly it started with two so i thought nothing of it due to me having a fair amount of muscle due to going to the gym. Then as the months went on i began losing weight for no apparrent reason my diet is fine, i also do not take drugs. So i visited the doctor explained what was wrong they sent me for a blood test although did not weigh me. Blood test came back everything was okay. So i thought nothing of it although i still blatently losing weight i began to lose muscle on my back, arms, shoulders, chest etc so i knew something was wrong. So i revisited the doctors he stated i was an unhealthy weight for my age and size asked me if i had any symptoms although i did not. So i returned 3 weeks later and had lost 4lbs in 2 weeks in that time i had lost weight around my joints elbows were alot bonier so were shoulders and knees. I had also lost alot of weight off my forearms and elbows so i went for a blood test anda chest x ray and returned 3 weeks later which was yesterday. Because i had stayed exactly the same weight the "doctor said what do you want us to do for you?" although i was still an unhealthy weight for my age and bmi wasnt suited either. So i said i know im still losing weight around my joints etc i can see it i had also started to lose weight off my legs top and bottom now so i personally know this isnt normal and he said i cant do anything because you have no symptoms. Now im in the position that i believe this doctor is trying to fob me off due to past comments etc i know theres something wrong with me i cant wear a tshirt without it sticking to my ribcage and showing evidently that i am skinny and have only skin surrounding my ribcage, i am very insecure about my weight now and appearence and all the doctor has said is leave it another month and i fear by that time ill look like a skeleton and be nowhere near a reason for my weight loss? Please help if you can i could really use it thanks all for listening Richard :confused: Hi Richard, I understand that you posted this long ago but I just thought of asking you if your problem has been solved. I've been suffering from the exact same problem as your's and the doctors don't have much to tell me! Please let me know, I'll be really thankful. Raj
    mm2009 3 Replies
    • November 21, 2009
    • 02:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Richard, I understand that you posted this long ago but I just thought of asking you if your problem has been solved. I've been suffering from the exact same problem as your's and the doctors don't have much to tell me! Please let me know, I'll be really thankful. RajHi Raj, my father is suffering from the same problem as you and Richard. He lost almost 30lbs in 2 months. He has gone for several blood and stool test, as well as a Cat scan. However, the doctors havn't been able to diagnose his problem. In addition to the weght lose, his joints (wrists/ankles) started to swell up. Was your doctor able to help you out?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2009
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Raj, my father is suffering from the same problem as you and Richard. He lost almost 30lbs in 2 months. He has gone for several blood and stool test, as well as a Cat scan. However, the doctors havn't been able to diagnose his problem. In addition to the weght lose, his joints (wrists/ankles) started to swell up. Was your doctor able to help you out? Hello, I have been taking an antibiotic and some pre and probiotics and my digestion is better I must say. Now I have to wait and see how this treatment affects my weight. I hope for the best.In your father's case, I think something could be wrong with his kidneys. Swelling in the body is usually related to the kidneys but it could be something else. He would have to get a complete health check done. I've had soooooo many tests done. Did he have a sonography done? Did the doctors mention sonography or any other test for the kidneys?
    mm2009 3 Replies
    • December 12, 2009
    • 08:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have been taking an antibiotic and some pre and probiotics and my digestion is better I must say. Now I have to wait and see how this treatment affects my weight. I hope for the best.In your father's case, I think something could be wrong with his kidneys. Swelling in the body is usually related to the kidneys but it could be something else. He would have to get a complete health check done. I've had soooooo many tests done. Did he have a sonography done? Did the doctors mention sonography or any other test for the kidneys? mm2009, I hope you're doing better. I would love an update on how your weight was affected. I was diagnosed with dysbiosis and have also been losing weight without cause. I'm wary of antibiotics as they are what got me into this mess in the first place...Thanks,Velha
    velha508 321 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 01:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • mm2009, I hope you're doing better. I would love an update on how your weight was affected. I was diagnosed with dysbiosis and have also been losing weight without cause. I'm wary of antibiotics as they are what got me into this mess in the first place...Thanks,Velha Hello Velha, I think dysbiosis is the culprit in my case too. I finished the course of antibiotics I was taking (Rifaximin, it works ONLY on the gut) and at the moment I have been taking pre and probiotics, a multivitamin and I'm also taking folic acid (5 mg twice a day). My general condition has improved and I have put on some weight. You know, a few days after I made the previous post, I went on holidays, I was travelling. I really like to travel. I also walked a lot. So I would say that all these things have contributed to the improvement in my health. I have been having salad and greens everyday. Now I'm only hoping that this improvement continues. What are you doing for dysbiosis Velha?
    mm2009 3 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 04:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi guys.. I just hope everything will be fine for all of you..
    quinroxanne 6 Replies
    • January 12, 2010
    • 08:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • get ur thyroid checked
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Read a bit about lupus
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2010
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Read a bit about lupusIt's never Lupus.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 3, 2010
    • 01:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Raj, my father is suffering from the same problem as you and Richard. He lost almost 30lbs in 2 months. He has gone for several blood and stool test, as well as a Cat scan. However, the doctors havn't been able to diagnose his problem. In addition to the weght lose, his joints (wrists/ankles) started to swell up. Was your doctor able to help you out?You should ask your doctor to check for interstinal parasites. They can cause all the symptoms you've listed. More than half of Americans get it in their lifetime so its worth checking out!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2011
    • 04:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi richard, I'm having the same problem, it's really making me depressed and conscious as to what I look like. I was already so skinny :( I went to the doctors and he told me to get a blood test then go to a pediatrician. I don't know what's up with this whole rare case of ours but just pray and have hope.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• that sounds alot like a thyroid issue. you either gain a bunch of weight or lose too much of it.
  • hey i know this has been a while, but i noticed iwas losing wieght with out doing exercise....id skate a fair bit tho but havent in a while. i couldent help notice the post a bout the swallon kidney problem.. about 4-5 months ago i skulledsome vodka an ended up in hospital with kidney failure(kidneys stopped) i was wandering could this be a course or is it bcause my fat taking over my muscles?
  • I think you should start with your calories needed for the amount you exercise. You never said exactly how old you are, but to maintain your weight you need between 3475 for an 18 year old exercising moderately.
    Dallas 4 Replies
    • August 23, 2011
    • 05:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You should do proper exercises....
    suraj460 1 Replies
    • August 24, 2011
    • 11:01 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement