Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

ME/Fibro/ Muscularskeletal disease

Posted In: Medical Stories 8 Replies
  • Posted By: juliemaria46
  • December 3, 2008
  • 03:42 PM

Hi i have been ill for over 14 years but this last 6 months have been so much worse i have had many tests over the years when my syptoms worsend my GPs surgery has many doctors in it and it is not always possible to see the same doctor.I went to see a GP yestoday to my sirprise he told me that over theses years GPs have said that i have muscular skeletal disease and fibro the reason i was sirprised is because i was never told by the doctors of having these.yestoday the doctor gave me papers to read on ME and said i was to read it and to book a double appointment with him on monday and said that theire will be many more appointment to see him and said theire are no magical pill he can give me he said he will have to deal with one thing at a time and the first will be about deprestion.so what have i got wrong with me is it ME or all 3 of theses illnesses what do you think:confused: and why has he got to deal with the deprestion first when i am so ill and so much in pain??? any coments will be good thank you for taking the time to read this from julie

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Julie, I am sorry that you have had to join our club, but am happy that you have found resources to help. I have been diagnosed with Fibro for 7 yrs. I will try to answer your questions as best I can. Many times Fibro and ME have so many overlapping symptoms it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. The short version is that people with Fibro tend to have more pain, and people with ME tend to have more fatigue. (This is not always the case, just a rule of thumb.) Reading up on both Fibro and Me will help you find ways to cope. Unfortunately your MD is absolutely right that there is no majic bullet. It took a while until My medical team and I found a balance of medication that worked without tons of side effects. One reason your MD said treat one thing at a time is that a "normal" person shouldn't start several meds at once b/c if there is a problem with a med you won't know which one is the problem. Another reason is that people with FM/ME also tend to have multiple chemical sensitivities. Starting one treatment at a time will allow them to narrow down specific issues. I think that the reason he wants to start with depression is that some of the meds used to reat depression are also used to treat FM. FM in a nutshell is an oversensitive nervous system. Certain types of antidepressants dull your brain's response to pain. As pain is one of your worst symptoms, this is probably a wise choice. I will also tell you that many of the meds I take sound bizarre. Here are some examples. I take an antisezuire med-to dull nerve pain I take a med used to treat multiple sclerosis-to treat muscle spasmsI take a low dose antidepressant to help with sleep. The list goes on and on. One of the important things you need when dealing with these illnesses is a MD who will listen and work with you to find your perfect mix. I hope that I have at least answered some of your questions and alieviated some of your worry. Take care and gentle hugs, T
    msnova74 20 Replies
    • December 4, 2008
    • 08:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, I am sorry that you have had to join our club, but am happy that you have found resources to help. I have been diagnosed with Fibro for 7 yrs. I will try to answer your questions as best I can. Many times Fibro and ME have so many overlapping symptoms it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. The short version is that people with Fibro tend to have more pain, and people with ME tend to have more fatigue. (This is not always the case, just a rule of thumb.) Reading up on both Fibro and Me will help you find ways to cope. Unfortunately your MD is absolutely right that there is no majic bullet. It took a while until My medical team and I found a balance of medication that worked without tons of side effects. One reason your MD said treat one thing at a time is that a "normal" person shouldn't start several meds at once b/c if there is a problem with a med you won't know which one is the problem. Another reason is that people with FM/ME also tend to have multiple chemical sensitivities. Starting one treatment at a time will allow them to narrow down specific issues. I think that the reason he wants to start with depression is that some of the meds used to reat depression are also used to treat FM. FM in a nutshell is an oversensitive nervous system. Certain types of antidepressants dull your brain's response to pain. As pain is one of your worst symptoms, this is probably a wise choice. I will also tell you that many of the meds I take sound bizarre. Here are some examples. I take an antisezuire med-to dull nerve pain I take a med used to treat multiple sclerosis-to treat muscle spasmsI take a low dose antidepressant to help with sleep. The list goes on and on. One of the important things you need when dealing with these illnesses is a MD who will listen and work with you to find your perfect mix. I hope that I have at least answered some of your questions and alieviated some of your worry. Take care and gentle hugs, Ti am not sure how to reply as i am new to this so here goes,first thank you for your repliy it helps to hear from people who knows how i am feeling,i wish my partner ian understood,when i am sleepy i fight it and then i get ill i fight it because i do not want the remarks that i get from ian he says things like i am putting it on and that i am lazzy does your partner understand you? if so how did you get him to understand you and how you are feeling?
    juliemaria46 3 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 03:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, My DH does understand now but this was not always the case. I had a wonderful pain management MD who cured that. DH was griping and moaning about why I couldn't shake it off as I had always done. MD brought in a basket of clothes pins, and proceeded to have DH attach them to his skin both arms and legs. He told DH to leave them on as long as possible. DH only lasted a few minutes. MD told him then that that was what FM can feel like as your nervous system is over sensitive. The difference was that I could not take the clothes pins off. He told DH that whenever he was frustrated and wanting to gripe think about the clothes pins.:D DH became super supportive and even built things to make my world easier. (ie reaching tools, height adjusters for various things). He understands that there are things that I simply cannot do. I think the key to having your partner get it is to have him go to the MD with you and hear what he has to say. Let the MD explain it for you. DH listened more to the MD than to me. I think it was because he had never had that kind of unrelenting pain before and couldn't fathom it. If your partner won't go with you to the doctor, get whatever info you can to show him. Good luck, T I hope this helps
    msnova74 20 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 03:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, My DH does understand now but this was not always the case. I had a wonderful pain management MD who cured that. DH was griping and moaning about why I couldn't shake it off as I had always done. MD brought in a basket of clothes pins, and proceeded to have DH attach them to his skin both arms and legs. He told DH to leave them on as long as possible. DH only lasted a few minutes. MD told him then that that was what FM can feel like as your nervous system is over sensitive. The difference was that I could not take the clothes pins off. He told DH that whenever he was frustrated and wanting to gripe think about the clothes pins.:D DH became super supportive and even built things to make my world easier. (ie reaching tools, height adjusters for various things). He understands that there are things that I simply cannot do. I think the key to having your partner get it is to have him go to the MD with you and hear what he has to say. Let the MD explain it for you. DH listened more to the MD than to me. I think it was because he had never had that kind of unrelenting pain before and couldn't fathom it. If your partner won't go with you to the doctor, get whatever info you can to show him. Good luck, T I hope this helps A BIG THANK YOU you made me smile and it not often i do that
    juliemaria46 3 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 04:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, You gotta remember to laugh often. I promise you everytime I open the fridge to find odd thing I have put in there not realizing I sit on the floor and laugh at myself until tears runn down my cheeks. T:D:D:D
    msnova74 20 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 07:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, You gotta remember to laugh often. I promise you everytime I open the fridge to find odd thing I have put in there not realizing I sit on the floor and laugh at myself until tears runn down my cheeks. T:D:D:D now i know im not alone rice krispys was the las thing i put in the fridge :D
    juliemaria46 3 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Julie, Blaze is absolutely correct in that you should never accept any diagnosis without first eliminating all other options, and or co diagnoses. It is especially important to rule out anything with similar symptoms. However, you can have more than 1 thing going on. i.e. my current list goes like this. mixed connective tissue disease(w/ siaticia)fibromyalgiaprophyria (sera type B)Myofascial pain syndromeAsthmaResless Leg syndome That having been said, it has taken 8 yrs for this laundry list to develop. There were some issues my rheumatologist was suspecting. We found for me that I am a rapid cycler. I can have a sed rate that is off the charts and the next one(within days) will be normal. I would suggest to not rule anything out completely including FM T
    msnova74 20 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 03:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi i have been ill for over 14 years but this last 6 months have been so much worse i have had many tests over the years when my syptoms worsend my GPs surgery has many doctors in it and it is not always possible to see the same doctor.I went to see a GP yestoday to my sirprise he told me that over theses years GPs have said that i have muscular skeletal disease and fibro the reason i was sirprised is because i was never told by the doctors of having these.yestoday the doctor gave me papers to read on ME and said i was to read it and to book a double appointment with him on monday and said that theire will be many more appointment to see him and said theire are no magical pill he can give me he said he will have to deal with one thing at a time and the first will be about deprestion.so what have i got wrong with me is it ME or all 3 of theses illnesses what do you think:confused: and why has he got to deal with the deprestion first when i am so ill and so much in pain??? any coments will be good thank you for taking the time to read this from julie Hi Julie, Sounds a lot like me for decades. I have CURED myself of M.E., FMS and CFS as it all turned out to be several b12 deficiencxy syndromes plus cofactors. Come find out about this and check the symptoms list. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948&page=141
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • December 23, 2008
    • 11:55 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement