Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

chest pain, headache, muscle pain and weakness, numbness in left forearm and hand

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: medical_mystery
  • December 3, 2008
  • 03:35 PM

I've been dealing with chest pain since January 2008. In and out of the hospital, numerous test... everything comes back normal. I've had a full cardiac work up including an ECHO, cardiac cath, etc. I've had an upper GI, I've had xrays and CT scans. The doctors can't find anything wrong. Nothing brings on the pain, nothing takes it away, except heavy narcotics (such as morphine and dilaudid). I'm desperate for some help. Please help me!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• I would like to ad an extended discription of my symptoms, if I can remember them all...*chest pain (dull ache all the time, but stabbing or crushing pain lasting anywhere from a minute to hours)*headaches (pretty much all the time, but gets worse and better and worse and beter)*joint pain (particularily ankles, wrists, hands and feet- not constant)*neck pain and stiffness (not constant)*numbness and tingling in my left forearm, hands and fingers (not constant)*general malaise*sleep problems (the pain keeps me awake or wakes me up at night)I have a history of epilepsy, allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, four right knee surgeries, and two left shoulder surgeries. My symptoms started last January suddenly. I didn't have an injury or anything. And it started with the chest pain and that was it... all the rest of this stuff has been building throughout the past year and it's finally gotten to a point where I can barely take it anymore... please help me. Thanks!!!
    medical_mystery 6 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 04:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been checked for diabetes? "Diabetic thoracic neuralgia refers to a form of chest pain or abdominal pain that occurs in diabetics. It is caused by injury to one of the peripheral nerves that comes out of the thoracic area of the spine and wraps around the side to the front of the patient. " Try here: http://www.bellaireneurology.com/neuropathic_pain/diabetes_neuro.html
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 05:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Our symptoms are identical. My problem started over 2 years ago.I've had a ton of X-rays, EKG's, Ultrasounds, MRI's, bloodwork, had my esophagus scoped and eventually had my gall bladder removed.I am almost $36000.00 into this and still don't have an answer.Do you have any pain in your neck (lower neck)? Just curious.I have found a small silver dollar sized numb spot right on the back of my neck.I went to the doctors for a year straight before finally giving up from sheer financial exhaustion.The problem has gotten worse as of late and I am going to go back and try it again. It feels like I am having a heart attack sometimes. I'm so tired of worrying about this.Please let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same for you.Will say a prayer for you.Steve P.
    stevierayp 9 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 03:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Our symptoms are identical. My problem started over 2 years ago.Do you have any pain in your neck (lower neck)? Just curious.Please let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same for you.Will say a prayer for you.Steve P.I'm sorry to hear that there is someone else out there suffering as I am. Mine comes and goes- thankfully over Christmas, my family went on a vacation to see my parents and other family, and thankfully, it didn't flare up for an entire week... and now I'm having issues again. It's terrible to wake up in the morning and not wanting to do anything but lay in bed and try to fall back asleep because it's the only time I don't feel the pain.I sometimes have pain in my neck, lower neck, back, you name it I've had pain there because of whatever is going on. My 4 year old knows that Mommy is sick- and that's another terrible feeling. She looked at me as I was laying in bed yesterday and said, "Mommy, are you going to be able to get out of bed this morning, or do you need me to take care of you today?" What a horrible responsibility for any child, much less a child of only 4 years old!I'm so frustrated with my pain management doctor. He doesn't listen to anything I say or ask. He simply ignores me and schedules me another appointment. I was supposed to start some pain cocktail yesterday (a mess of heavy pain meds in this syrup form) and I called to cancel. The lady who was cancelling was like, do you want to reschedule. Upon me telling her no, not right now, she wanted to know why- I told her I just didn't want to come in- I didn't feel up to hearing my doctor's BS. Perhaps I'll feel different in the new year- I just am so frustrated with everything!I have physical therapy today.. I go once a week- not sure how this is going to help me... the pain management doc wanted me to go. I keep going because I really like the therapist, and she truely listens to me... which for once- is nice to have someone outside of my family not think it's all in my head!Well, Steve, sounds like you need some prayer... let me know if they find anything...here is a link to my blog- http://weblog.xanga.com/medical_mystery -where I talk more about my daily life with whatever this thing is... best of luck to you!
    • December 30, 2008
    • 07:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been checked for diabetes? "Diabetic thoracic neuralgia refers to a form of chest pain or abdominal pain that occurs in diabetics. It is caused by injury to one of the peripheral nerves that comes out of the thoracic area of the spine and wraps around the side to the front of the patient. " Try here: http://www.bellaireneurology.com/neuropathic_pain/diabetes_neuro.htmlI have been following my blood sugars on and off for several years. I have a tendency toward hypoglycemia, but don't truely have diabetes... I've had many a fasting blood sugar performed at physician offices, and they appear fine also. Thank you!
    • December 30, 2008
    • 07:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Would you try something for me?Sit in a chair with your back straight, look up at the ceiling until it gets a little difficult to raise you head any farther, wait for a minute and see if you get any chest pain or numbing in your left arm, then look to the left and see if you feel anything.I know this sounds kinda weird, but let me know what happensSteve
    stevierayp 9 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 01:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like maybe a spinal disc is pressing on your vagas nerve. Research herniated disc / vagas nerve to see what you think.Good LuckPamela
    pamelasmc 82 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 01:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Would you try something for me?Sit in a chair with your back straight, look up at the ceiling until it gets a little difficult to raise you head any farther, wait for a minute and see if you get any chest pain or numbing in your left arm, then look to the left and see if you feel anything.I know this sounds kinda weird, but let me know what happensSteveAll I got was lightheaded and dizzy and seeing the little black "stars". Sorry!
    • December 31, 2008
    • 06:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm sorry to hear that there is someone else out there suffering as I am. Mine comes and goes- thankfully over Christmas, my family went on a vacation to see my parents and other family, and thankfully, it didn't flare up for an entire week... and now I'm having issues again. It's terrible to wake up in the morning and not wanting to do anything but lay in bed and try to fall back asleep because it's the only time I don't feel the pain. I sometimes have pain in my neck, lower neck, back, you name it I've had pain there because of whatever is going on. My 4 year old knows that Mommy is sick- and that's another terrible feeling. She looked at me as I was laying in bed yesterday and said, "Mommy, are you going to be able to get out of bed this morning, or do you need me to take care of you today?" What a horrible responsibility for any child, much less a child of only 4 years old! I'm so frustrated with my pain management doctor. He doesn't listen to anything I say or ask. He simply ignores me and schedules me another appointment. I was supposed to start some pain cocktail yesterday (a mess of heavy pain meds in this syrup form) and I called to cancel. The lady who was cancelling was like, do you want to reschedule. Upon me telling her no, not right now, she wanted to know why- I told her I just didn't want to come in- I didn't feel up to hearing my doctor's BS. Perhaps I'll feel different in the new year- I just am so frustrated with everything! I have physical therapy today.. I go once a week- not sure how this is going to help me... the pain management doc wanted me to go. I keep going because I really like the therapist, and she truely listens to me... which for once- is nice to have someone outside of my family not think it's all in my head! Well, Steve, sounds like you need some prayer... let me know if they find anything... here is a link to my blog- http://weblog.xanga.com/medical_mystery -where I talk more about my daily life with whatever this thing is... best of luck to you! http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=135792#post135792 Some of these problems are a lot like what mine used to be. Come on over to the b12 deficiency forum, check out list of symptoms and talk to folks.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • January 1, 2009
    • 00:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Where exactly is the pain and how do you describe it?What makes it worse and better?Does it radiate into another area?How long does it last?How does exertion affect it?Is there a position that helps it?Does eating affect it?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 1, 2009
    • 03:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Where exactly is the pain and how do you describe it?What makes it worse and better?Does it radiate into another area?How long does it last?How does exertion affect it?Is there a position that helps it?Does eating affect it?Where isn't the pain? haha! The primary location of the pain is my chest. Mostly the front. I would describe it as stabbing. Nothing makes it better, nothing makes it worse. I can't trigger it and I can't make it go away. I sometimes will send a shot of pain down an arm or leg into my wrist or ankle and create almost like a Charlie Horse kind of pain in the joint. It'll last anywhere from a minute to hours. Exertion doesn't affect it. There is no position that helps. Eating doesn't affect it (doesn't trigger it or make it go away).
    • January 2, 2009
    • 02:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi All, Age :- 37 MI am suffering from below symptoms since last two years:-1. Chest heavyness almost round the clock2. Left hand finger numbness in thr monring, IF talking on phone using left hand, it goes numb in 15-20 mins.3. Feeling uncomfortable all teh time due to chest heavyness. 4. Left shoulder pain,5. Left upper arm pain.6. Sometimes shoulder blade pain. 7. Not energetic as before.8. Felt like lazy all the time. 9. Legs goes numb if I am sitting in one position for 30 mins only.10. Always felt some thing is chocked up in my neck.11. I had acidity problem in the past. Test done :- CT scan, Brain ER, Neck ultrasound for blodd flow, Stree test.Visited GERD doc too.All test are good Except little high cholestron LDL/Tryglyseride in blood test. Life is really really become horrible. I visited accupuncture therapiest many times and took the treatment as doc told me it could be muscle pain. I ate vegeterian food most of the time and shicken/fish once in 15-20 dyas. Doctors always wait till something appear in their reports, If not then you are fit.They dont listen if I tell them "My body is not responding well". I am fed-up with doctors. Why they are so much dependent on machines and not ready to listem me. As machine is saying i am fit so they declared I am fit.Any suggession from anybodyThanks in advance.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been having the same problems for at least 4 years... causes a lot of anxiety since it sounds like a heart attack, chest pain, arm numbness, etc. A rheumatologist told me it is arthritis and lupus, I have no idea, I just know I feel awful. Nothing helps except pain meds, and at times if I lay on my side it relieves the numbness in the left arm.
    LorisFriend 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement