Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Feels like my body is shutting down.... :(

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: jilliankma
  • December 2, 2008
  • 11:18 PM

I'm 23 years old this all started only when i smoked, i'd smoke a cig the first couple drags i would what it seemed like lost control of every muscle even my breathing muscles so it felt as if i wasn't breathing for that moment. It is very scary cause your mind is aware of what is going on but have no control of your body, i have developed a lot of depression and anxiety because of this because i have found no answers to why this happened. This all happened to me several years ago i quit about 3 years ago and just recently i've experienced it even without smoking! It happened in stressful situations, for example there was a bat in my house hovering over me and i felt like i could not protect myself because i lost that control, when i my body snaps out of it i am very shaky and scared. People keep telling me its anxiety, well ive seen 3 therapists 2 psychiatrists i have taken zoloft, paxil, xanax, prozac, colonapin over the past years.Nothing is helping a few months back i started developing heart palpitations after a month they disappeared.This past month i started developing muscle spasms in my feet,hands,face, mouth,stomach throat,thighs.. basically everywhere they are happening as we speak and they are very annoying. Sometimes i have the feeling like it is going to happen.. the losing control all day long whether i am at home relaxing to helping pt's at work. I am currently seeing a neurologist and taking colonapen which isn't doing anything. I had a emg and nerve conduction test, i called for the results and the ma said my lower extremities came back abnormal..? what does that mean i'm scared.I have an appt for him to explain results but i know hes gonna says everything is fine because he has his mind set on anxiety after only speaking to him for 5 mins the first appt. I've tried everything i still have these feelings i feel like i am running out of time and my muscles are just wasting away. I just feel so hopeless the pain and feelings are so strong. I cannot go on living life like this. My other symptoms are aches in upper arms and both thighs, buzzing in the back of my head crackling noises when i turn my head, stiff joints, extreme difficulty breathing like i need to make myself breath and forget to breath, my brain feels as if it is weak or being lazy and my throat, i also have memory problems and trouble talking. Sometimes the light in the room would get dim and slowly it would adjust back to normal lighting.I've told the neurologist all of this and it still did not strike him as abnormal. i just went to the hospital a couple days ago my blood results came back normal they did a ct scan and that came back normal.I'm not sure what else to do i thought of everything and seen so many dr's about this and nothing. I would just like to know what other people with the same problem have be diagnosed with and some insight on what else more i can do.
Thank you so much for your time in reading this. :(

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• do you have:large amounts of mucus (a slimy substance), wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.people who smoke/used to smoke can have COPD.Even if it isn't COPD, something is causing you to get a lack of oxygen similar to COPD(ex- emphysema), therefore inducing an anxiety attack, therefore causing all off the symptoms of an anxiety attack(even heart palpitations can be caused from anxiety). ask your doctor about COPD and related diagnoses!
    alsonotadoctor 12 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 05:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The anxiety and stiff joints sound like celiac disease. Try here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • December 3, 2008
    • 05:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey thank you so so much for responding, i don't get any mucus, wheezing,chest tightness but i do have shortness of breath sometimes. I'ts more like i have to make myself breath like its involuntary and when i am doing things it seems as if i forget to breath. But my main concern is all day long i have strange feeling from my throat down to the core of my body a very strong weakness and in both arms and my legs start to feel like jello but then it subsides a little to where i can still function but it is still there. I feel like the muscles inside my throat are giving up and it kind of feels as if it might be something with my heart cause i get numbess feeling and my arms get very weak and i feel like i am not in control of my body anymore. It is very difficult to explain i know this is not normal!I seen a cardiologist about the heart palpitations before and he said they were pvc's and suggested a catheter ablation to make it go away cause they were so bad and recommended that i do it, but i got scared and didn't and then they went away not long after but other then the pvc's he said everything was fine. I just wish there was someone out there that can explain why this is happening to me, i don't smoke anymore i try to eat well, i had all my blood tests come back normal... its says i'm getting the adequate amount of nutrients that my body needs and all bld cells and antibodies are normal. Ive been tested for lyme disease and that came back normal but it seems that i have all the same EXACT symptoms of it. The neurologist assured me that there is nothing wrong and that i see my psychiatrist. I seen my psych and he prescribed me lamactil thinking i might possibly have bipolar disorder. I've been taking it and i still feel no different i've been on colonapin for the past couple months and that's only helping me with the anxiety i've been getting from all this. My muscles are still going crazy and i'm starting to actually see the muscle spasms a lot more now.
    jilliankma 9 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 11:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you might want to read "The Second Brain" I love this book... it explained so much of how the neurology of the gut actually functions, and its written very clearly and easy to understand. Nicotine does some pretty ugly things to the neurotransmitter serotonin and how the neurons function in the gut. The above book explains very clearly how nicotine inteferes with it. But as you quit smoking three years ago, I am unsure if the nicotine is the cause. More possibly an aggravating factor to something you had a susceptibility to.EMG coming back abnormal usually suggests some sort of neuropathy or myopathy. Get a new doctor, preferably a rheumatologist who can examine you directly, not just a test result - antibody tests for a particular disease sometimes are negative because you don't make any of that sort of antibody to start with - which is an abnormality and you will then have to be directly examined via biopsy, x-rays, ultrasounds, and other sorts of physical examinations of the cells. Have they done x-rays? Ask *which* antibody tests they ran, did they run antibody tests for celiac? Checked for polymyositis? Any checks on your lymphocytes?Get copies of the results. I recently realised my IgG levels are *abnormal* when I looked at some of my test results. Stuff the doctors didnt pay attention to at all.I'm having arm and hand weakness myself so I know how you feel.
    hypatiaa 3 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 08:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey Blaze i'm not sure how to reply on these threads.haha. Thank you so much for your input it is very interesting.For a long time now I've been thinking that its lyme disease but my doctor and a hematologist assured me that it wasn't, i think they should just treat me for it anyway based on my symptoms and location where i live.It's not so much wooded areas but there are some deer around my house there were old abondoned psycho hosptials down the street from house that they knocked down a while back and all the mice have ran through our neighborhood and we have caught 6 mice in our home and i have three dogs that also could be carriers for those lil creepy ticks to get around, then i learned that deers ticks are not the only carriers but mice are too also did i mention we have bats living in our walls..gross and about a year ago we found out that one of my dogs have lyme disease!!!!The electrical sensitivity & hypersensitivity also kind of makes sense too i did the search and there are 76 towers, 8 new towers and 266 antennas in my area the radius at max is 4.0 miles. I'm not sure if that's bad. I do have a train that runs right behind my house theres and embankment behind my house and down that is the train literally right behind my house we have seen deer up are ambankment also a long time ago we haven't seen one since but its proof that they do live up there. Also my dad is a ham radio freak! He's got at least 20 different radios running in his bedroom. I'm really not sure what to do...all of this info doesn't seem to strike the dr's as abnormal. I've just recently seen the neurologist and he basically said it's all in my head take 2 more colonapen see your psychiatrist and you'll feel better, i did and i still felt sick but in a slower way. I seen the psychiatrist and he said possible bipolar, so that's what i'm going on now, he prescribed me lamactil packet.Ive been on it for 2 and half wks now and i still feel no difference but more confusion and everything seems as if it's not real. They said it's just side effects and it will go away the longer i take it. My muscle twitching, numb feeling and breathing seem like their getting worse. :confused:
    jilliankma 9 Replies
    • December 16, 2008
    • 01:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just experienced the exact same thing that you were talking about and it was the scariest thing that I have ever felt in my life. I would rather have fell off of a cliff or experience the worst amount of pain possible than having to go through that again. I felt like I couldn't breathe and that it was for sure the end, but slow and painful. I still feel it, but mostly just slugish and super tiered. The breathing has gotten better though. Not being able to get oxygen is probably the scariest thing in the world. Made me never want a ciggarette for the rest of my life.
    mikkelsonr 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • i am literly in tears right now..i have been going through this for the last 2 years and at times it goes away but then comes back with revenage....i cant live like this this is taking my life away from me...... we need to find out what this is...i have had x rays,blood work,heart ultra sounds,stress test,and been on meds for awhile but nothing helps.. im having a baby soon and i want to live to raise my baby girl and i cant even have hope that i will be there for her cause at times it feels like its my last moment on this earth...
    jjgp719 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • i am literly in tears right now..i have been going through this for the last 2 years and at times it goes away but then comes back with revenage....i cant live like this this is taking my life away from me...... we need to find out what this is...i have had x rays,blood work,heart ultra sounds,stress test,and been on meds for awhile but nothing helps.. im having a baby soon and i want to live to raise my baby girl and i cant even have hope that i will be there for her cause at times it feels like its my last moment on this earth...im sorry for your pain and so on. i started all the things you have said at age 21 im now 28 and sad but they still keep comeing back forever. lifes hard and supporting my family is even harder. iv cried many many times. i dont know if i can keep going like this the rest of my life, my normal life seems to be gone forever now. now i only know the pain of this new life i was forced to have. i wish you luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement