Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Numbness in left side of face, and other symptoms

Posted In: Medical Stories 50 Replies
  • Posted By: dukefan
  • November 2, 2006
  • 02:55 PM

Hi. I wonder if there is a neurologist out there who could offer something about my symptoms. For about 3 months, for at least 40% of the time, my left side of my face has been numb. In addition, in the last week or so, I have had periods of blurred, strange vision, mild headaches in the base of my skull, my neck, and especially when I bend down. These are all on the left side. I get nauseous before getting the headaches and generally am feeling somewhat lousy most of the day. Rest seems to relieve it somewhat. Also, I have this feeling that my whole left side of my head is heavy. I am also, during these instances, having increased bowel movements and urination, maybe from anxiety? It is also difficult to concentrakte and I feel lethargic. I just had an MRI of my brain and neck and it was normal, taken in the ER. I am really frustrated with all this and any support and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

50 Replies:

• Hi. I wonder if there is a neurologist out there who could offer something about my symptoms. For about 3 months, for at least 40% of the time, my left side of my face has been numb. In addition, in the last week or so, I have had periods of blurred, strange vision, mild headaches in the base of my skull, my neck, and especially when I bend down. These are all on the left side. I get nauseous before getting the headaches and generally am feeling somewhat lousy most of the day. Rest seems to relieve it somewhat. Also, I have this feeling that my whole left side of my head is heavy. I am also, during these instances, having increased bowel movements and urination, maybe from anxiety? It is also difficult to concentrakte and I feel lethargic. I just had an MRI of my brain and neck and it was normal, taken in the ER. I am really frustrated with all this and any support and ideas would be greatly appreciated. ThanksEVERY SYMPTOM YOU HAVE ARE SIGNS OF MULTIPLE SCHLEROSIS. I HAVE LIVED WITH THIS DISEASE FOR 11 YRS. AND HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL OF THESE SYMPTOMS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND A GOOD NEUROLOGIST AND HAVE HIM DO AN MRI OF YOUR BRAIN AND OF YOUR SPINE. YOU CAN HAVE MS ON BOTH OR ONE OR THE OTHER. FROM EXPERIECE, AN ER DOCTOR DOES NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO READ AN X-RAY CORRECTLY, MORE OR LESS AN MRI.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2006
    • 05:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, iv had numbness left side of face and presure at the side near the temple,blured vision constant fatiege,getting out of breath and a lot more,iv been back and rorth the doctors for two years,they put it down to stress,i was sent to stress clinics,put on antidepressants,but nothing made me feel better;so i just put up with it,every day has been a struggle until last week, i had a pelvic scan due to womans problems and a large fibroid was found,the doctor did a blood test f b c.a week later the doctor phoned my home and said that i was enemic and my blood was very low,he put me on iron 3 times a day i have to go back in three weeks,to test my blood again,if only the doctor would have done the blood test two years ago,i feel very ill i cant breath but at least i know what it is at last shirley
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 06:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had numbness in the left side of my face, in the check and side of mouth. When I went to the doctor, he acted like I was crazy and said I had and infection in a muscle and there was nothing he could do, that it would just go away. It has been going on for a few months and seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of weeks. It is not painfull it just feels like its asleep. I am a 42 year old female with high blood pressure, high cholestrol (not spelled correct) and diabetic but not on meds for that yet. Does any one have a answer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just started getting numbness in the left side of my face. I do have a history of herniated disks (C6 & C7) of my neck due to a car accident a little over two years ago.Do you think his may attribute to the numbness I feel every once in a while on the left side of my face?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2006
    • 08:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have herniated discs from a car accident, both in my neck and also in my lumbar area.I have spent the last year doing many types of appts. for this injury. About 10 months after the car accident, I began to experience much numbing and tingling on my entire left side.I also have a lot of pressure in my head all the time. I have been told I have neurological damage and muscle damage. Still waiting for my neurologist appt. to find out any more specifics and HOPEFULLY some answers finally about all these headaches/pressure/numbing/tingling. I'm sure that since there is nerve damage in my neck it is all related. I was otherwise healthy before this car accident.My numbing and tingling in my face goes to my lips, through my cheeks, up to my temple and back to the ear. Basically the whole left side of my face.I have extensive muscle spasms and twitching throughout my body now. Gotta love those drunk drivers.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I wonder if there is a neurologist out there who could offer something about my symptoms. For about 3 months, for at least 40% of the time, my left side of my face has been numb. In addition, in the last week or so, I have had periods of blurred, strange vision, mild headaches in the base of my skull, my neck, and especially when I bend down. These are all on the left side. I get nauseous before getting the headaches and generally am feeling somewhat lousy most of the day. Rest seems to relieve it somewhat. Also, I have this feeling that my whole left side of my head is heavy. I am also, during these instances, having increased bowel movements and urination, maybe from anxiety? It is also difficult to concentrakte and I feel lethargic. I just had an MRI of my brain and neck and it was normal, taken in the ER. I am really frustrated with all this and any support and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out BELLS PALSY. Take care.
    Mrs_Potato 23 Replies Flag this Response
  • EVERY SYMPTOM YOU HAVE ARE SIGNS OF MULTIPLE SCHLEROSIS. I HAVE LIVED WITH THIS DISEASE FOR 11 YRS. AND HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL OF THESE SYMPTOMS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND A GOOD NEUROLOGIST AND HAVE HIM DO AN MRI OF YOUR BRAIN AND OF YOUR SPINE. YOU CAN HAVE MS ON BOTH OR ONE OR THE OTHER. FROM EXPERIECE, AN ER DOCTOR DOES NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO READ AN X-RAY CORRECTLY, MORE OR LESS AN MRI.Very difficulty problem especially since your MRI is normally. You really need a university based neurologist. Temporal arteritis is another possibility. Check your sedimentation rate.
  • I also have had numbness on the left and right side of my face (everywhere below my eyebrows). I have see about 5 different neurologist, had too many blood tests, MRI's of all types, CT scans of all types, many painful Spinal Taps, EEG's, EEM's, EMG's and the doctor's can't find anything wrong with me. They treat me like it's all a mental thing. I also go blind after about 5-10 minutes of excerise as well. There was one test, EEG, that showed facial peralisis (sp check) and vision loss when they had me run. They still can't figure it out. I am in the Military, and every doctor says that I am fine. Any help here?
    JuJubugs 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • You need to contact a Neuro-Ophthalmologist, ASAP!!
    Mrs_Potato 23 Replies Flag this Response
  • May Want To Check Out Chiari As Well. Most Dr's Don't Know About Type One Chiari Which Can Cause The Symptoms You Listed. I'd Ask About Even If It's Only A Few Mm It Can Still Make Life A Living ***l. An Mri Would Show It But Alot Of Dr Look Over It Unless It Is Severe But Just B/c It Douesn't Look Severe Doesn't Mean It Can't Give You Severe Life Altering Symptoms.
  • At least the MRI ruled out a brain tumor, so my thoughts are like one of the other replies you got...Bells Palsy. I had cervical neck surgery with fusion/bone graft but have none of those symptoms and never did and I actually had the bone pressing against the spinal cord itself. It must be a neuromusclar thing....neurologist would be my guess also to see and for further testing. MS or Bells, perhaps migraines too can cause this but it needs further work up. Good luck
    agypsygrl 79 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• MS, Bells Palsy, Cervical disc herniation, migraine and other causes of facial numbness can be treated very well with acupuncture. Consider this as an option to help and actually improve your symptoms. In Oriental medical diagnosis numbness is caused by blood deficency, and depending on the origin, may have blood stasis involved. Please look into this and visit www.acufinder.com for more info on the many benefits of acupuncture and to find a practitioner near you. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • For the past month I have had numbness in my chin and left side of my face. I have also have numbness in hands, mainly in my pinky though. At first I thought it was an anxiety attack, but now I think it's more. I believe the numbness made me have the anxiety attack, rather then the numbness being from the attack. The attacks have stopped, but the numbness keeps getting worse. I went to the doctors twice and the hospital once, and instead of attempting to figure out what it is they basically laughed at me because I'm only eighteen. Could they be right, am I just losing it? Is it possible it could be more?Someone please Email me with some input?Illbiteyourfaceoff@yahoo.comThank you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2007
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the numbness in the left side of my face, am losing my vision in my left eye, an increase in my hearing, very fine hearing!! I have had seizures for two years, been on five different types of medications and nothing stops the seizures.No explaintion for the numbness. I have been told I have glaucoma. possibly from the medications. I am 28 years old. I initially got infected with meningitis 2 1/2 years ago. This is the after effects, I guess.I am going in the morning to schedule an MRI at the hospital for a possible tumor in my brain that may be effecting this all. I can't remember what type of tumor it is called though. Will post the outcome.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 01:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • so i'm 17 years old, and pretty healthy.. the only problems i've ever had were ear infections, so i got my tonsils taken out because they said that would help.. and it did. SO i've been good for a while after that..Well here's my problem.. I've been sick for almost a year now...I first started getting really paranoid, & i do not use drugs, and then my whole left side of my body went almost numb, its was kind of like tingly like i was asleep, but i couldnt feel anything really. I went to a neuologist, and he didnt really do anything... so then i start getting HORRIBLE headaches, i mean like crippling migraines. I 've been to several different doctors, on soo much different medicine, and nothing takes away my problem. I was diagnosed with a b12 deficency, and have to get injections and have for almost 6 months now. Well, my levels are back to normal..but I STILL have headaches, my doctor put me on a controlled substance to try to knock the pain, but it doesnt even affect me at all. Now, I have some swollen glands, and my muscles just ache so bad.. my hand is now doing the numb/tingle thing agian..and i'm not sure.. like the muscles in my body hurt so bad it is a pain to breathe in and out. I don't smoke or anything like that. I'm just very confused and very much in pain.. Any ideas of what could be going on with me? Also, everyone here is saying its their left side, which it used to be mine.. but now its my right side.. hands, fingers, arms, legs, toes, stomach/ chest, and now my back. I had an MRI once and it showed up normal, that was 2 years ago though. and I had a CT scan that was normal as wellAlso i'd like to add.. when my head hurts, its only the right side. my headaches are pretty isolated to that side and then in the back. But when i go numb its my left side... and i know thats how strokes work, its one side of your brain but effects the opposite side of your body.. I'm not having mini strokes am i? help me please...
    Courtieo 4 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 01:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I believe you could have multiple things going on. The headaches/left side of face could be attributed to early Bells Palsy episodes or migraine headaches. have your neurologist rule out Bells Palsy. As for the muscle, pain and down body aches...I do not believe that may be neurologically induced...unless you've already had a spinal MRI. (of your spine. Perhaps a nerve is pinched.) Personally, I would say if you have history of B12 deficiency and all these joint and aches problems I would ask your neurologist to refer you to an Rheumatologist . They have much more intricate tests that they will do including rhematoid tests, lyme disease, and hundreds of other possibilities and problems can be detected by simple blood draws. At the same time, it's also possible that you have fibromyalgia. Definetly go to an Rheumatologist now that the neurologist has ruled their concerns out. By the way...an MRI would show any strokes or pending problems. I do believe if the neurologist feels that came back normal that a pending stroke is not a concern. Also, one of the biggest "problems" with strokes are that patients who do have them usually have no symptoms prior to a stroke. It sounds to me like you may have some kind of nerve problem...in your back, or neck....and or possibly other reasons are causing your tingling and numbness of your joints. This can be from the way you "over use" your arms (such as in playing tennis, etc.)....and or wrists (such as in typing and computers or video games). Please keep me posted and be sure to print out for mom and dad. Take care.
    Mrs_Potato 23 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 01:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What about dental work? Lots of mercury or a hidden infection being the booger in your nightmare.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 05:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • She's only 17 years old. (the poster with the problems) Very doubtful she has any metal fillings as she is too young and dentists have not been using mercury for years.
    Mrs_Potato 23 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 11:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have one metal filling, well its silver, so i'm guessing its mercury
    Courtieo 4 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 07:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Because i am not familiar with metal fillings/mercury and your symptoms; i would suggest asking your doctor to order a mercury level test for you. I found this on the web, too: Taken from: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060419/ai_n16144582 Children and adults in the United States receive more than 70 million metal fillings each year. Mercury, which comprises about half the weight of these fillings, is used to bind together powders of silver, copper, zinc and other metals. The American Dental Association said the studies support its position that metal fillings are safe and effective. But the studies, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and funded by the National Institutes of Health, are unlikely to end the debate. "Mercury is the most toxic nonradioactive substance on earth," said Downers Grove dentist Janet Stopka, who stopped using metal fillings 10 years ago. "I would never put mercury in my child."
    Mrs_Potato 23 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 10:48 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement