Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Sepsis post dental extraction.

Posted In: Medical Errors 2 Replies
  • Posted By: robbiedee
  • November 21, 2008
  • 06:55 PM

I had a bottom rear tooth out a few months ago. After a few hours I had a very painful and swollen jaw.
I tried to get back to see dentist but they were running so late I could not attend the appointment.
Over the next few days the swelling spread to my whole mouth including tongue.
I went to my GP 3 days after the extraction. with swelling in my mouth. to be given a mouthwash, which was not effective at all.
5 days after extraction I returned again to the GP, with swollen feet and joints. To be sent for blood tests and put on anti-biotic’s. Which were also ineffective.
7 days after the extraction I had to attend A + E, as there were more swollen body parts and severe internal pain.
I was then admitted to hospital suffering with what I now know as sepsis. I was so ill I could not walk and was slipping in and out of conscious for a good 3 days.
I was put on IV drugs to fight the infection. I was in hospital for 7 days.
I feel the dentist should have treated the infection first before extraction, too which he did not. I tried to complain but they made me feel like I was in the wrong.
What I need help with is I don’t know where to turn for advice. All the advice I have received so far has lead me no where.
Can I just add the sepsis has also done other damage to me. If I were older or younger I know I would not have survived this, the doctors told me I was very lucky to pull through. I have now been ill for over three months and still attending outpatients.
I was rejected for a claim for personal injury. which in itself is fine. But I do worry this dentist will do the same again. That I can not live with.
Any help greatly accepted.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Absolutely appalling. In which country are you?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • November 21, 2008
    • 07:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Unless you have an artificial heart valve or another predisposing factor, prophylactic antibiotics aren't given for dental work. The chances of getting an infection following an extraction are very small, and (on a population basis) more harm is caused than good by giving prophylactic antibiotics. What you have been through is indeed terrible, but you can't blame the dentist for following standard procedure. If you wanted to place the blame on anyone, I would be looking at your GP for not starting you on oral antibiotics immediately.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2008
    • 00:15 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement