Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

weakness and coldness in just right arm

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: theindiandream
  • November 17, 2008
  • 08:54 AM

im a 21 year old male. i smoke. dont exercise alot. have and probably still have asthma.

on 11/12/08 i was sitting at home with some friends and i had been playing guitar for about 45 minutes. after that my right arm started feeling cold and real weak. and for the past 5 days my right arm and hand been slightly colder than the left at times. also my arm still feels somewhat heavier but loose feeling if that makes sense. it also gets wore out easily. the only other thing is that i feel sort of cloudy headed and its hard to focus at times.

the day it happened i did have a very stressful day and my nerves and anxiety have always been bad.

at 1st i thought it could be a stroke but counted that out since my face isnt droopy or anything. then i thought it could be bad circulation because my arm was colder and the veins on my right arm didnt "pop out" like those on my left, which is normal for me.

whenever i take a hot bath or shower my arm feels more relaxed. over the past few days its seemed to get some strength back and isnt as cold at times. its more now in the back of the hand and the fingers. my left hand is just getting pains in it more than likely from the cold because it is about 30 out.

so after all this i checked to see what could be wrong online. i found out it could be a million things. from diabetes-arhtritis-circulation-heart attack-multiple sclerosis-

does anyone have any clue what it sounds the most like? could it quite possibly be due to nerves and stress? does it sound more like a heart, brain, nerve. or muscle disorder?

im going to get it checked out on tuesday. im not looking forward to it im quite nervous. since it could be one or more of so many things. i just need the closure and to see what could help it.

Thanks so much.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I have had similiar--although I am a mid-aged Caucasian/F---mostly it starts as stress related or could be a neuro pain problem with an autoimmune flare...note, soon, it may start more often & w/other problems in different areas of your body with aches & 'spazzy' like tweaks out of the blue & numbness may be needles & pins & then dropsy like with weakness & pain so it stops you from any other human contact as a hug or abrupt touch is exchruiating...first, stop your smoking...watch diet & be positive A CBC can help find the culprit Good luck. I have had several 20 20 hindsites into my earlier yrs--I wish I had sought help & been firm on my own hunches to promote an extreme known helper to a diagnosis...yes, knowledge is power in observing what you KNOW about your own body; now I am paying the piper...it is unreal--awaiting the whole scene--mine is several overlaps in autoimmune diagnosis & yes, I am so impatient! Patience in good med help is hard to be when you are anxious & hurt & a persistence in test results needs to be addressed. Do not let a relative or 'pal' make you feel like a wimp or hypochondriac. YOU hold the keys to finding out so you may have a diagnosis to altar the pain & LIVE your life! You have a lots of yrs to look forward to...be healthy, & work on having healthy yrs ahead!im a 21 year old male. i smoke. dont exercise alot. have and probably still have asthma.on 11/12/08 i was sitting at home with some friends and i had been playing guitar for about 45 minutes. after that my right arm started feeling cold and real weak. and for the past 5 days my right arm and hand been slightly colder than the left at times. also my arm still feels somewhat heavier but loose feeling if that makes sense. it also gets wore out easily. the only other thing is that i feel sort of cloudy headed and its hard to focus at times.the day it happened i did have a very stressful day and my nerves and anxiety have always been bad. at 1st i thought it could be a stroke but counted that out since my face isnt droopy or anything. then i thought it could be bad circulation because my arm was colder and the veins on my right arm didnt "pop out" like those on my left, which is normal for me.whenever i take a hot bath or shower my arm feels more relaxed. over the past few days its seemed to get some strength back and isnt as cold at times. its more now in the back of the hand and the fingers. my left hand is just getting pains in it more than likely from the cold because it is about 30 out.so after all this i checked to see what could be wrong online. i found out it could be a million things. from diabetes-arhtritis-circulation-heart attack-multiple sclerosis-does anyone have any clue what it sounds the most like? could it quite possibly be due to nerves and stress? does it sound more like a heart, brain, nerve. or muscle disorder?im going to get it checked out on tuesday. im not looking forward to it im quite nervous. since it could be one or more of so many things. i just need the closure and to see what could help it.Thanks so much.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 05:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • well i went to the ER and they told me it sounds like neuropathy and prescribed me muscle relaxers and steroids. im having pains in my chest when i breathe every now and then. and ive been sort of cloudy headed and its hard to focus. which i think could be a chest cold. but i told them that and i dont think it mattered. i think that has to do with it being so cold out, i have asthma, smoke, and hardly exercise. what do you guys think?they also didnt explain if i should take it east with my arm or just use it as normal. any ideas there either.thanks so much.
    theindiandream 1 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well first of all stop smoking man i did two years ago and trust me it helps. with everything. i am currently going through something similar. i have a problem in my neck..c6 to be extact. when i have a flar up it starts with great pain in my left shoulder and elbow after several days of this ***l i end up having severe weakness in my right hand and forearm which makes playing guitar a pain in the **s. I've been working on a cd the past few months and had to put off doing the guitar tracks for now...good thing so far is that these episodes always seem to resolve themselves with time and excersise. ok back to you second you should get alittle more active yourself there my friend it also helps a great deal it boosts your imune system and over all strengthens you entire body. if you have circulation problems try warming up the arm and hand before you play with a warm compress. stretch out your muscles and warm up properly before playing. OH did i mention STOP SMOKING!? it decreases you circulation and screws everything up in you body. yes im one of them reformed smokers but all i say is true. good luck with you problems i hope this has been helpfull?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2008
    • 03:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • First,stop smoking!Next,has your blood pressure been taken in both arms to compare?If not, have it done.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 03:26 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement