Discussions By Condition: Menopause

Menopause symptom...Month long period? Has anyone else had this?

Posted In: Menopause 8 Replies
  • Posted By: confusedldy
  • November 15, 2008
  • 06:50 PM

I'm 46 yr old, I have been perimenopausal for what seems like forever. I have migraines that go on for four days a month sometime around my periods.

I was just recently treated with cortizone shots for carpal tunnel, and as a result, suddenly I had 2 migraines and a period for the normal time, then started again like the next day and it hasn't gone away since! And the palpitations...ridiculous!

Has anyone else experienced this during peri/menopause? Or is the bleeding for 3 weeks caused from the cortizone, or should I get to the doctor?

Thanks,
Confused

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I am 55 and on bio-idential hormone pellets injected under the skin including testosterone. I also am having month long periods so was put on 400mg Prometrium and they said I should see a change within 2 weeks. Maybe that's what you need? I feel so good and this was the only remaining problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2009
    • 10:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To the original poster : I hope you visited your doctor, what did they say? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 18, 2009
    • 08:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had alot of problems with bleeding during my periods. They were lasting from 1 to 3 weeks.After 6 months I went to my dr. He sent me to the hospital the next week and gave me a d&c. That worked for about 6-7 months and it started up again. Another d&c. He then decided to put me into menopause. I was only 43, it was a series of shots that I got every two weeks for 8 weeks. The menopause for me has been a real drag since it was basically a forced meno. I still have hot flashes! I can't have any hormones since I have had breast cancer.But if this is only a once in a while thing for you I would think a d&c would take care of it. He can also give you a low dose birth control pill that helps with the bleeding. Good Luck!
    greenleaf 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 46 yr old, I have been perimenopausal for what seems like forever. I have migraines that go on for four days a month sometime around my periods. I was just recently treated with cortizone shots for carpal tunnel, and as a result, suddenly I had 2 migraines and a period for the normal time, then started again like the next day and it hasn't gone away since! And the palpitations...ridiculous! Has anyone else experienced this during peri/menopause? Or is the bleeding for 3 weeks caused from the cortizone, or should I get to the doctor? Thanks,Confused You need to see an MD...its very best to do that..but all i can say is this :Most women experience absent, short, irregular periods at some point in their lives. A wide range of conditions can cause these symptoms, while the most common cause is hormone imbalance. Your periods may come more frequently, every 24 days instead of every 28, or they may come later than they used to. You may have a light period that lasts only a few days, then the next month have very heavy bleeding. Your period may last a shorter amount of time, or go on and on for what feels like an eternity. You may skip a month, then go back to normal for several months, then skip two periods in a row.Menstrual irregularity is most common in the midforties as you approach menopause. A lack of hormonal balance or a decrease in estrogen production is the main cause of it. There can be medical causes for irregular periods as well, they aren't as common though:D
    dale91 143 Replies Flag this Response
  • According to me ,you have to go to certain test through which you can easily diagnose the problem.There are certain test which has to be done.for more information can also visit the site. http://www.drugteststrips.com/Menopause-Test-c-276.html
    anthony00 1 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 10:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 46 yr old, I have been perimenopausal for what seems like forever. I have migraines that go on for four days a month sometime around my periods. I was just recently treated with cortizone shots for carpal tunnel, and as a result, suddenly I had 2 migraines and a period for the normal time, then started again like the next day and it hasn't gone away since! And the palpitations...ridiculous! Has anyone else experienced this during peri/menopause? Or is the bleeding for 3 weeks caused from the cortizone, or should I get to the doctor? Thanks,ConfusedI had migraines that went on for a year at a time when I was very anemic due to fibroid tumors, and it gradually cleared up after a fibroid operation. I always got a one day migraine during my cycle but now that I am over 50 I don't get migraines at all. Not sure if it's age or if it's because I take DHEA and pregnenolone for hormone replacement. I could not function anymore w/o them. Many of my friends have long belleding episodes around 50 years of age -- some for several years -- prior to actual menopause. I had a hysterectomy myself due to fibroids which grew back 3 times, so have no idea if I would have had the long bleeding period. When my hormones ramped below a certain level all sorts of health problems popped up -- at first only during pms -- but I could not get a doctor to give me enough identical hormone replacement to make up for the hormones I lost even though I had a historical test showing my hormone levels when I was younger. I had extremely high blood pressure only during pms, I developed a forever panic attack, becane hyperthyroid, and I developed bone pain so great I could barely get out of bed. DHEA immediately took care of the high blood pressure and the panic problem. Although related to hormone loss (since estrogen increases metallothionein which is needed to absorb zinc and copper and less estrogen means less ability to absorb zinc and copper, zinc wins out, so it is easy to become copper deficient and thus hyperthyroid), DHEA and pregnenolone did not make enough estrogen to fix this problem which I had to fix by limitting iodine and supplementing copper w/o zinc. The bone pain was probably a result of hyperthyroid as this is what causes loss of bone mass, but it is also possible it was due to low Vitamin D levels which I have corrected. The reason I lean more towards hyperthyroid is I still get short spells of this and I take the 10,000 of Vitamin D every day. Next thing to go for me was/is allergies that used to be under control are no longer under control. I haven't figured that one out yet. Good luck. fyi, I had so many health problems that I had my genes mapped at http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Outcomes-Non-CV-Autism-Methyl%20Cycle.htmI have many genetic mutations and find an active B Complex like this helps me: http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/18791?at=0Estrogen helps with bad diet / genetic mutations in the methyl cycle as w/o it many people find their prior unhealthy (but no different from anyone else's) lifestyle won't work for them. Active B's give you energy and help prevent neurological problems caused by inability to effectively break down B vitamins (active B's are already broken down) due to bad genes or bad diet. I take 2-3 / day and find they give me noticeably more energy. Good luck. I really feel your pain. Menopause should come with a manual.
    madanthony 1,087 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 06:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello so sad to hear about your problem. You must not take medicines containing chemicals. You have to take regular exercises and natural supplements to cure this problem.
    Alenjacks 14 Replies
    • January 6, 2011
    • 04:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • FEM FLAX is one great product that my aunt has tried. She swears by it although you have to research more about it.
    dale91 143 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement