Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

chronic nausea,vomiting, abdo pain, night sweats for 6 years.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 12, 2008
  • 09:30 PM

My brother is 38 years old and has been unwell for six years during which time his illness has got worse and it is now at a cronic stage and effects every aspect of his life. At the begining he would be admitted to hospital for severe vomitting and abdominal pain 2-3 times a year. In between admissions he would have night sweats but be feel o.k during the day. The illness has progressed and he now has constant nausea on a daily basis despite taking the maximum dose of ondanderstron. In the past year he has had over 70 hospital admissions where he recieves i.v ondanderstron and morphine. On the days he requires hospital admission he usually begins to feel more unwell after a bowel movement. previously his bowel movements were loose but due to the amount of medication he takes he is frequently constipated. I have taken him to hospital on many occasions and the best way I can describe his presentation is to say it is like being with someone who is in labour as he is often very distressed with the pain. Over the years he has had many tests e.g scans, endoscopy, barium meal, H.I.V test, lead poisoning test. Nothing has given any clues to his illness. In the earlier days medics felt his illness was conected to his pancreas but they no longer think this. The only thing i am aware of is that he usually has raised white blood cells on hospital admissions. We feel lost and helpless as his consultant has said there are no other investigations to be done. Surely there has to be a reason for his constant ill health? They have stopped checking his bloods in hospital now as they feel there is no point. They concentrate on dealing with the acute admissions and patch him up, only to send him home and wait for his next admission. ( which on occasions has been less than 24 hours) We are determind to find the cause and I am constantly searching for information that may lead to a diagnosis. He was given the diagnosis of cyclic vomitng in the past but when he disscused his symptoms with a doctor who deals with this disorder, he felt that his symptoms do not fit this diagnosis. Prior to becoming unwell he was on holiday in Gambia and we have wondered if there is a conection to this. We would be so greatful if anyone could help us.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Biddy.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement