Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Diaphram & Left Shoulder Pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 22 Replies
  • Posted By: hallierae
  • November 2, 2006
  • 00:21 AM

HELP! I had the lap band weight loss surgery 12/14/05. I've had great success at weight loss with this procedure. In Feb. 2006 I was taken to the hospital with horrible left upper pain (right under my left breast) and left shoulder pain. I was in tears from the pain and thought I was having a heart attack. After many tests on my heart they proceded to take CT's of my abdomen, etc. Nothing wrong. They tell me it must be my Lap band. I see my surgeon who tells me the band is fine - that is not it. Since the initial onset of this in Feb. I have had a round of this pain about every 6 weeks. It comes and goes for no apparent reason. I've had this pain now for 6 days. It hurts worse when I breath deep, cought, sneeze, yawn, etc....anything that makes my left lung size increase I guess. I suspect the left shoulder pain is radiating pain from the other area. I did not have this pain before the lap band - that makes me think it is the band. But my surgeon has done hundreds of these and has never seen this before. He has carefully looked at my band with a scope and can find no reason I would be having this severe pain. I tried posting on lap band sites but nobody replied to my email :(. Someone help me please.

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• I have that exact pain. I have not had any type of surgery. The pain is substantial and it radiates down my arm sometimes, too. I don't know what it is either, but I cannot function or sleep.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 05:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I came upon this website hoping to find someone who can tell me what is wrong with me.. I am having hot, searing, stabbing pains on my left side in the area of my port. I just had surgery Oct 31, 2006 and my doc says my stitches must have gone through a nerve in my stomach. I have yet to he able to sleep in my bed, cough, breathe deep or come off my pain meds. I hope this will go away with time, otherwise I am considering removal of the band.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 06:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • have you ever had right shoulder pain?does it hurt more during your period?ihad the same pain in my right shoulder and sometimes left.i was told i had endometriosis of the diapham causing me to feel the pain in my shoulder.:p
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too am having this :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 01:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like a disease I have called Costochondritis. Check out the definition below and the listed sites. Often it is misdiagnosed for a heart attack. Its a drag. The pain started in my chest and has grown to include my rib connective tissue under my arms, my back rib tissue and up to my sholder tissue at times. Sometimes I wake up feeling like someone beat me about the ribs with a "whiffle bat". 70% of the people with fibromyalgia have it. It can be a one time acute condition or be chronic with flare ups that can last days to weeks though out the year. Mine is so bad at times that I have been on nacotics for it since it became chronic. Its like having Rheum Arth in your ribs!!! It has made my life miserable. Costochondritis OverviewCostochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown. Costochondritis (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10-30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people aged 10-21 years. The peak age for the condition is 12-14 years. Costochondritis is also considered as a possible diagnosis for adults who have chest pain. Chest pain in adults is considered a potentially serious sign of a heart problem by most doctors until proven otherwise. Chest pain in adults usually leads to a battery of tests to rule out heart disease. If those tests are normal, and your physical exam is consistent with costochondritis, your doctor will diagnose costochondritis as the cause of your chest pain. It is important, however, for adults with chest pain to be examined and tested before being diagnosed with costochondritis. Often it is difficult to distinguish the two, without further testing. The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%). Costochondritis may also occur as the result of an infection or as a complication of surgery on your sternum. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htmhttp://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htmGood luck all of your discriptions sound very familiar. I hope its not costo though. There is a good "on-line"costo support group in yahoo groups just in case.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2006
    • 08:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the lap band 2 years ago. I had the whole left shoulder thing. It went away when I ate. Come to find out sometimes they can graze your diaphram and this causes the deferred pain. When you eat it lifts and releaves it. Is still get it at times. Dr said it happens about 1 out of 50 times.Hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have costochondritis(Tietz's Syndrome) I wouldn't wish it on anyone one, at the same time I'm glad to hear that someone know what I'm going through. It's been almost 2yrs, I had every test you can think of and nothing showed up, finally I just recently had a MRI and it showed up. The one Doctor that knew anything about it, passed away and now I've been trying to explain to my new doctor what I been going though and she ready don't have a clue. I felt like I was having a heart attack for two months, couldn't drive, sometimes I needed help dressing and getting out of the bed. The pain moved from my chest, alternating to the right side of the rib cage to the left side. There was sharp pain in my back. I was depressed I didn't know what was going on. I cough it hurt, cried, situp, sit to long it hurted. The pain left a little, I'm down to just back pain now and still feel the tension in my chest like something is wrong. I think I have Arthur in my back this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am sorry I cannot help, but I have the exact same problem. surgeon says go to the Dr, Dr says talk with the surgeon. However my doctor did a complete exams, blood work, EKG, x-rays etc. He believes as well its deffered pain from the lapband.
  • HELP! I had the lap band weight loss surgery 12/14/05. I've had great success at weight loss with this procedure. In Feb. 2006 I was taken to the hospital with horrible left upper pain (right under my left breast) and left shoulder pain. I was in tears from the pain and thought I was having a heart attack. After many tests on my heart they proceded to take CT's of my abdomen, etc. Nothing wrong. They tell me it must be my Lap band. I see my surgeon who tells me the band is fine - that is not it. Since the initial onset of this in Feb. I have had a round of this pain about every 6 weeks. It comes and goes for no apparent reason. I've had this pain now for 6 days. It hurts worse when I breath deep, cought, sneeze, yawn, etc....anything that makes my left lung size increase I guess. I suspect the left shoulder pain is radiating pain from the other area. I did not have this pain before the lap band - that makes me think it is the band. But my surgeon has done hundreds of these and has never seen this before. He has carefully looked at my band with a scope and can find no reason I would be having this severe pain. I tried posting on lap band sites but nobody replied to my email :(. Someone help me please.If you look around on the web you will see this is a very COMMON problem. Some Lap Band doctors even forewarn their patients to expect it..that is how common it is. I have seen peppermint tea reccomended several times and really really really chewing seems to help others.
  • I had lap band just Friday (8/31/07) and experiencing the same cronic pain and discomfort. I can't lie down (on my back or side) without the cronic pain and tears. I feel like something is blocking my breathing too. Hurts really bad when I take a deep breath. Doc's office said it's common/will go away; but I really am starting to doubt. Will this be a constant cronic pain with the band? If so, I don't know if I made the right decision get band. Someone, please help us.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2007
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm having this left shoulder pain as we speak. It was noticable about 4 days after the procedure(Lap Band 10/24/2007) and went away after aboout 2 weeks. This is going into my 4th week and it's back with a vengence. I found that if I l sleep on my right side at night, I don't have the pain. During the day, it's pretty annoying.Yesterday I took Tylenol and it eased up considerably.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2007
    • 05:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the pain also. I had the lapband surgery the 13 of Aug and pain is still there. Seems to get worse at night. *ouchie!* I dont have the pain in my chest just the arm shoulder and drives me nuts!If you want to contact me please do, I will be seeing my surgeon the 20th and he is fantastic so I am sure he will inform me what is going on. Deb Debijim@hotmail.com
    DebiJim 1 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 06:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had my lap band done about 2 1/2 years ago. I am at my goal weight and have kept it off the whole time. I do love my band but I have had this horrible shoulder pain the whole time. The only thing that works is pain meds. I was taking them every day for about a year and just recently quit taking them because I could tell I was going to have a problem with them. I have talked with my lap band dr several times and they act like they dont know what causes it. I have had every test done and my primary dr says it has to be the band. I know it is because i never had it before. It gets worse when I am hungry. It feels like an air pocket is in my stomach and it touches something that makes my shoulder hurt. It is soooo depressing. Sometimes I think I should get my band removed because of it. It now effects my neck muscles. Anyways I hope that someone finds out why this happens and maybe something that can help it other then Loritab. Good luck to all of you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2008
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all. I am so glad to find this site. I too have the exact same pain in my left shoulder. Intense. Scary. Aggravated by coughing, sneezing, laughing, facial grimace, anything that involves the upper chest muscles. It comes and goes. Left side only. Worse when laying down. Strikes without warning and sometimes freezes my shoulder and I cannot lift my arm. Radiates around to my upper back and down left arm. HOWEVER I have NOT had lap band or any other type of surgery. So it seems unrelated to me. I have had complete cardiac workup. Negative. I tend to belieive them as the shoulder and arm are sore to the touch as well. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with costochondritis many years ago but that pain was always in the mid chest bony area only between the breasts, and sore to the touch. One doctor suggested bursitis. The intermittency of the pain and the fact that sudden sharp movements can bring it on makes me think it's cervical or thoracic spine related. Perhaps a bulging disc, which I do have but doctors discount as causing the pain, or a herniation. If anyone gets a definitie answer PLEASE, PLEASE post it so we can all benefit.Thanks to all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 09:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the surgery a year ago. The pain you are feeling is from the gas they used during surgery so the surgeon would have "room" to move around in your stomach and attach the lap band. It dissapates after a week or so. But BROTHER DOES IT HURT! Cindy
    cindyhale 1 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 02:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the surgery a year ago. The pain you are feeling is from the gas they used during surgery so the surgeon would have "room" to move around in your stomach and attach the lap band. It dissapates after a week or so. But BROTHER DOES IT HURT! Cindy No, I don't think this is the pain people are talking about since some are more than a year post surgery. I have this pain and I'm 3 months postop and it's getting worse. It's definitely not gas and I wish I could find the reason. I only know it's related to the band and I will have to have it taken out at some point if it doesn't get better.
    ElfiePoo 2 Replies
    • February 3, 2010
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you look around on the web you will see this is a very COMMON problem. Some Lap Band doctors even forewarn their patients to expect it..that is how common it is. I have seen peppermint tea reccomended several times and really really really chewing seems to help others.I have the same thing. I had my surgery in March 2010 and it is now January 2011. I had initial severe pain in the L shoulder after surgery for about 1 month, then it went away which was a huge relief. Then I started getting pain under my left ribs at the bottom of my ribs and in my left shoulder tip about 4 months ago. I have had a scan and the tubing is tucked up under my diaphram and this is apparently what is causing the pain.I have to go back to the surgeon and have the band adjusted so the tubing is facing the other way and isn't up under my ribs and diaphram.I feel for you as the pain is excrutiating. I am just putting off having it fixed because of fear of making it worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2011
    • 04:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So it's been more than a year since I've been here. The pain has not gone away and my surgeon had no clue what I was talking about...yet within 30 minutes of searching the internet last May I discovered what the problem was in various medical reports relating to banding. This is very specifically a pain in the left shoulder/upper arm...not the chest or abdomen. It is called 'phrenic nerve pain' and is caused by some part of the lap band rubbing against the diaphragm. This sends referred pain to the left shoulder. Some people get it after eating. Some, like me find it is only positional. I get it when I'm lying down or when I'm sitting in a car seat or plane seat...most likely because the backs are slightly concave forcing my band in closer proximity to my diaphragm.Over the last 14 months, it has gotten worse, to the point where it is affecting my sleep and the quality of my life. I'm sleeping in a recliner which can be adjusted to the exact angle I need...which varies every night. I can't take a car trip more than 10 minutes away because the pain is just too excrutiating. Forget about long distance travel.After 14 months I'm having the band removed. Nothing is worth this pain..
    ElfiePoo 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • HELP! I had the lap band weight loss surgery 12/14/05. I've had great success at weight loss with this procedure. In Feb. 2006 I was taken to the hospital with horrible left upper pain (right under my left breast) and left shoulder pain. I was in tears from the pain and thought I was having a heart attack. After many tests on my heart they proceded to take CT's of my abdomen, etc. Nothing wrong. They tell me it must be my Lap band. I see my surgeon who tells me the band is fine - that is not it. Since the initial onset of this in Feb. I have had a round of this pain about every 6 weeks. It comes and goes for no apparent reason. I've had this pain now for 6 days. It hurts worse when I breath deep, cought, sneeze, yawn, etc....anything that makes my left lung size increase I guess. I suspect the left shoulder pain is radiating pain from the other area. I did not have this pain before the lap band - that makes me think it is the band. But my surgeon has done hundreds of these and has never seen this before. He has carefully looked at my band with a scope and can find no reason I would be having this severe pain. I tried posting on lap band sites but nobody replied to my email :(. Someone help me please.i agree, im going crazy!! i hate the lap band, left shoulder pain is making me so depressed, im getting a lawer, this stipid thing has put me in the hospital teice!! we need a class action suit, please people lets come together!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2011
    • 08:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So it's been more than a year since I've been here. The pain has not gone away and my surgeon had no clue what I was talking about...yet within 30 minutes of searching the internet last May I discovered what the problem was in various medical reports relating to banding. This is very specifically a pain in the left shoulder/upper arm...not the chest or abdomen. It is called 'phrenic nerve pain' and is caused by some part of the lap band rubbing against the diaphragm. This sends referred pain to the left shoulder. Some people get it after eating. Some, like me find it is only positional. I get it when I'm lying down or when I'm sitting in a car seat or plane seat...most likely because the backs are slightly concave forcing my band in closer proximity to my diaphragm.Over the last 14 months, it has gotten worse, to the point where it is affecting my sleep and the quality of my life. I'm sleeping in a recliner which can be adjusted to the exact angle I need...which varies every night. I can't take a car trip more than 10 minutes away because the pain is just too excrutiating. Forget about long distance travel.After 14 months I'm having the band removed. Nothing is worth this pain.. Can you give us an update? Did you have the band removed? If so, did that get rid of pain? I am experiencing similar pain. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Wanaqlt 1 Replies
    • December 30, 2012
    • 02:12 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement