Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

23yr old multiple symptoms: Cold hands/feet, clammy hands...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 11, 2008
  • 08:51 PM

Hey every1. for the past few months, especially since its started getting cold i have had some weird things goin on it seems. I am 23, a personal trainer and in very good shape so Ill just list them pretty much lol

Cold hands and feet constantly, even when exercising sometimes.
very frequent cold chills
Clammy hands, and occasional random sweating on my chest and back
night sweats, ESPECIALLY on both my legs from the knees down
trouble with memory
muscle cramps in weird places, and frequent cramps if i stretch etc.
dry skin, thinning and brittle feeling hair

thats about all of them i can think of right now, for some reason they all seem interconnected.. any ideas on what it is would be great.

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• Lots of things: Do you eat well? Some of these things are associated with anorexia. Anemia STDs Try here: http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/8-causes-of-night-sweats
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 08:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you had your thyroid checked? Be aware that you can have symptoms of hypo/hyperthyroidism even if your tests come back normal. You should post your results here or at a thyroid forum for help. Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 09:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would have to agree with the diet suggestion. What do you eat ? Anything that you never eat ? Such as meat ?
    gungwane 62 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 01:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • im a personal trainer and have a degree in exercise science which required numerous nutrition classes... i eat a very healthy diet consisiting of balanced meats (some red and some chicken/tuna) with a complex starch in every meal and usually a salad or some insoluble fiber as well. trust me when i say it's not my diet as i maintain a very health body fat % and am very muscular etc. thats why this seems to bother me so much, i am so healthy in my lifestyle (i lift weights 5-6 times a week supplemented with 1-4 hour bike rides a few times a week (been a competitive cyclist since the age of 15), my daily calorie intake on heavy exercise days can reach around 4-5000, but thats normal for a competitive athlete). i dont understand why these symptoms have arrised suddenly. from my research so far, i am leaning towards Hypothryoidism.. but i need to get an apt. with a doc i reckon to get bloodwork.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am almost certain it is not diet. i have a degree in exercise science as well as a certification with the american college of sports medicine. i eat a very balanced diet of all meats. i include in most meals;1 meat; chicken, red meat or tuna, sometimes tofu but rarely1 leafy vegetable; supplying the insoluble fiberplenty of watersweet potatoes, whole grain breads etc... i know my diet is on point. I have a very healthy body fat % and am very strong (not to brag obviously) for my weight. for instance i won a leg press competition, pressing 1285lbs and i weigh 180 which translates to almost 7 times my body weight. i lift weights 5-6 days a week as well as cycling 1-4 hours a day (been a competitive cyclist since the age of 15; average around 300-400 miles a week)on heavy load days (for instance; lifting my chest/biceps accompanied with a 2-3 hour bike ride, i would consume around 4-5000 calories spread through multiple meals and snacks, many from proteins and carbs but definately incorporating fats such as peanut butter and red meats.) i just dont think it is overtraining, as a reduction in training volume has seen no improvements in my symptoms.from my initial research i am heavily leaning towards hypothyroidism, but why would it just now seem to affect me? the cold chills are getting very annoying; almost every night now i wake up at the same time (around 2-3am) and am sweating from my legs down, maybe somewhat around my neck but i am still really cold, and cant fall back asleep, for instance as i type this i've been awake since 2am and its 4pm. my hands and feet stay cold as well. has anyone out there had similar exp. or has hypothyroid and can give me some help?! i am a poor recent college grad... cant hardly afford just to go to the doc to get all kinds of tests :( its becoming very depressing
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :( its becoming very depressingIf your diet is good then all signs point to hypothyroidism, and ironically enough, depression is another symptom, so go get checked and tested for hypothyroidism.
    gungwane 62 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • T3,T4-the free fractio! ,TSH
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 09:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, thyroid is a possibility. Also celiac disease. Try here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 08:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Are you taking any medications or supplements?Are you sweating normally when excercising? Constantly being cold can be a sign of your body not sweating enough. Do you eat enough salt but not too much salt?You could also be low in Potassium. Although a Thyroid problem should be ruled out, there are quite a few symptoms of Hypo-Thyroid that you didn't list.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 01:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • the cold chills have become almost constant. i have no money almost, you have to understand that i need to kno pretty much what it is when i walk in as to not waste any money on tests etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 29 yr old actress/model in good shape (maybe not as good as in the summer ;) and I have the SAME THING. it is driving my boyfriend crazy he tells me to stop rubbing clams, haha. But seriously its so annoying its like a never ending stream of cold sweat pouring out of my hands and feet and armpits, ever since the weather got really super cold. I cant touch anyone or anything its dumb. so i feel you, i wish i could be more helpful but the only thing i can think of for me anyway is stress due to the weather and an imminent lifestyle change just moved a few days ago from new england to DC BUT this has been going on for a month)I can barely sleep, wake up in cold sweat, have bad chills, plus my skin is really dry and my lips are sooo chapped, even cocoa butter doesnt work. i watch what i eat but def. not anorexic. im a healthy weight, maybe on the thin side. working out helps temporarily as well as shaking my hands to air dry them! anyway i hope you figure yours out. i think mine will get better once it gets warmer. cold weather is really miserable for me, and there are record lows this winter.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2009
    • 09:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I'd get your thyroid tested and metabolic panel. If nothing shows, then maybe potassium or magnesium deficiency or you just eat too many cold foods and need to cook your veggies.
    Paulppaul 25 Replies
    • January 20, 2009
    • 00:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would definitely go ask the doctor... believe me, it's better than researching scary things on the internet. Learning the symptoms for the worst-case-scenarios will cause you nothing but trouble and worry. Anyway, my first thought was thyroid issues as well. It is VERY treatable! My other thought would be some anxiety (it can manifest itself as strange symptoms)........
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2009
    • 09:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like celiac. I just got diagnosed a week ago.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hey every1. For the past few months, especially since its started getting cold i have had some weird things goin on it seems. I am 23, a personal trainer and in very good shape so ill just list them pretty much lolcold hands and feet constantly, even when exercising sometimes.Very frequent cold chillsclammy hands, and occasional random sweating on my chest and backnight sweats, especially on both my legs from the knees downtrouble with memorymuscle cramps in weird places, and frequent cramps if i stretch etc.Dry skin, thinning and brittle feeling hairthats about all of them i can think of right now, for some reason they all seem interconnected.. Any ideas on what it is would be great.check your thyroid
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2010
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement