Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Uncontollable Itching- Thyroid? Histamines? Share your story.

Posted In: Skin conditions 47 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 11, 2008
  • 08:26 PM

I have read several older threads here about itching but I wanted to start a new one to see if anyone has similar conditions to what I have and to see if we can uncover a common denominator. My doctor has labeled my itching condition as having too much histamine in my body but, to me, that sounds like a cop-out. I’ve noticed many people on the threads here that have similar conditions to what I have and most say their doctor can’t find anything to contribute the blame towards. Most threads I’ve read end without people expressing anything beyond their current itching symptoms. I’m certainly no doctor but I am very analytical and try diagnose things myself. Upon reading other threads here about itching, I have seen where people express similar complaints with lots of commonality traits (hypothyroidism, etc) but the common traits were never linked together in their discussion. If anyone out there is tired of the itching and tired of waiting for their doctor to discover a cause for it, read my story and share yours to see if we can find a common denominator(s).

For about the past 4 years I have had an uncontrollable itching that I could never link to a specific cause. There are never signs of a rash or irritation, just a very intense itching that most all the time begins in my feet and travels upward into my legs, waist, chest, arms, in a short period of time (<1 hour), most often during the evening/night hours. I have tried all types of medicated creams, lotions, soaps, etc but nothing in that line ever helped. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years ago and took synthroid for it. For the past two years however my thyroid level has been in the normal range without medication but the itching has not stopped. About the same time the low thyroid was diagnosed, my testosterone level was extremely low. I no longer take synthroid but I do continue to take a testosterone replacement medication, Testim. I have tried to link the itching to a medication or other allergy (food, etc.) but I have never been able to find anything. I don’t think the cause is Testim because I had the itching long before starting Testim. I took testosterone shots before beginning Testim and I have stopped using Testim for several months since just to troubleshoot the cause. About 15 years ago I began taking allergy shots which lasted for about 5 years. I sometimes wonder what adverse affect that might have had on my body in how it fights histamines, if any. The only thing that I found to relieve the itching is taking an antihistamine drug, like Benadryl or Zyrtec. My doctor ran some tests and finally gave the condition a name but I don’t remember what he called it. Basically he said my body has too much histamine in it that causes the itching and there is no cure other than controlling it with antihistamines. Personally I feel like there is some other underlying cause for the itching and that my doctor is just labeling it because he doesn’t actually know what the actual cause is. I'm not a doctor so I don’t know for sure, but it seems that way to me. However, it does make sense in the fact that I take a antihistamine and the itching stops. If I miss just one day, I am miserable. Has anyone out there ever experienced the itching that I described and if so, what have you done to manage the itch? If you don’t mind sharing, tell me your past health issues as related to thyroid, allergy shots, synthroid usage, antihistamine meds, testosterone (if you’re a male), etc? Anything and everything may be useful here. Thanks and I hope each of you have a blessed and stress-free day.

Reply Flag this Discussion

47 Replies:

• I have pretty much the same condition. I'm 67 years old and this thing started about 8 years ago.I'm still very active physically(Hockey in the winter, and golf(walk) in the summer).I take an antihistamine every 1 or 2 days depending on whether I forget.Another symptom is Dermatographism. This is a form of chronic urticaria caused by stroking the skin with pressure. The term "dermatographism" literally means the ability to write on the skin. My wife can write her name on my back with the finger. The name will become readable within 2 minutes, and be completely gone after 10 minutes.I take no medication, and never have, nor do I have any medical history, of any kind!! My blood sugar levels are fine, my colestoral may be a little high as is my triglycerides.One thing however, I do drink allot of beer especially after hockey. Wines, I will have the odd glass, but not very often. Hard liquor, very very seldom. At my age I can't handle hard liquor anymore.Like you, I've been scoring the internet trying to figure this out. My thoughts at this moment are, - it's the histamines in beer, which I believe are abundant, red wine being the worst. Heaven forbid if I have to stop drinking beer...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2008
    • 11:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have read several older threads here about itching but I wanted to start a new one to see if anyone has similar conditions to what I have and to see if we can uncover a common denominator. My doctor has labeled my itching condition as having too much histamine in my body but, to me, that sounds like a cop-out.I have TONS of excessive entire-body itching all over my body:mad: from taking MS CONTIN and PERCOCET about 6 times daily, and have done this medicine for about 2 years so far. What helps me is some plain old generic OTC BENNEDRYL tablets. Take at least 100mg but not more than 200mg of it the moment you start to excessively start itchingi like crazy.If you notice it helping then bump the dose 25mg's at a time until it reaches a point where it is releaving the itching. Trust me, if it works for me it will work for anyone. My drugs, PERCOCET & MS CONTIN, are well known for excessive entire-body itching as a side effect.LET US ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES FOR YOU. I do care.:)
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • November 22, 2008
    • 03:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 37 year old female. I work third shift and went to work Sunday night two weeks ago. I slept that day in my bed and went to work Monday night. By the time that I got home Tuesday morning, I itched so bad that I couldn't stand it. I called my doctor and got an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. He prescribed a couple of antihistamines and a steroid. He also told me to take Benadryl. He told me that if it didn't get better by the following Monday to give him a call. Guess what?! I was worse by Monday. Tuesday I was back in his office and the nurse gave me a Prednisone shot. It took about six hours to kick in but once it did, I felt great. I worked that night without itching. The doctor gave me a prescription for Prednisone and instructed me to take this along with the other medications he prescribed the week before.He also ordered blood work and a chest x-ray Friday. The results are not in as of yet.I have tried everything from baking soda, cornstarch, cortizone cream, rubbing alcohol, oatmeal baths (which help until the water gets cold). You name it I've tried it (on top of the meds).I have no bug bites or a rash. My complexion is clear. This is worse than chinese water torture. The only part of my body that does not itch is my scalp, ears and bikini area.Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Itching In Ohio
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2008
    • 00:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 37 year old female. I work third shift and went to work Sunday night two weeks ago. I slept that day in my bed and went to work Monday night. By the time that I got home Tuesday morning, I itched so bad that I couldn't stand it. I called my doctor and got an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. He prescribed a couple of antihistamines and a steroid. He also told me to take Benadryl. He told me that if it didn't get better by the following Monday to give him a call. Guess what?! I was worse by Monday. Tuesday I was back in his office and the nurse gave me a Prednisone shot. It took about six hours to kick in but once it did, I felt great. I worked that night without itching. The doctor gave me a prescription for Prednisone and instructed me to take this along with the other medications he prescribed the week before.He also ordered blood work and a chest x-ray Friday. The results are not in as of yet.I have tried everything from baking soda, cornstarch, cortizone cream, rubbing alcohol, oatmeal baths (which help until the water gets cold). You name it I've tried it (on top of the meds).I have no bug bites or a rash. My complexion is clear. This is worse than chinese water torture. The only part of my body that does not itch is my scalp, ears and bikini area.Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Itching In OhioOne time I had a rash in a couple of places and went to the doc. He told me, no joking here, to use a hair dryer and get those areas super-duper dry and of course gave me some steroids with antihistamine as you have received. Using the hair dryer to my amazement was very effective and I saw the rashes go away in about 3 days which would have been sooner than those meds had to kick in. The doc's main thing was that in our busy world we take shower, eat a meal, pick up the kids, all in 5 minutes and we neglect ourselves. His thing was most people think they're dried up with a bath towel but just enough moistore was on the body to be a breading ground for bacteria that would normally not bother you.Hope your meds work well.:)
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • November 23, 2008
    • 11:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have pretty much the same condition. I'm 67 years old and this thing started about 8 years ago.I'm still very active physically(Hockey in the winter, and golf(walk) in the summer).I take an antihistamine every 1 or 2 days depending on whether I forget.Another symptom is Dermatographism. This is a form of chronic urticaria caused by stroking the skin with pressure. The term "dermatographism" literally means the ability to write on the skin. My wife can write her name on my back with the finger. The name will become readable within 2 minutes, and be completely gone after 10 minutes. I take no medication, and never have, nor do I have any medical history, of any kind!! My blood sugar levels are fine, my colestoral may be a little high as is my triglycerides.One thing however, I do drink allot of beer especially after hockey. Wines, I will have the odd glass, but not very often. Hard liquor, very very seldom. At my age I can't handle hard liquor anymore. Like you, I've been scoring the internet trying to figure this out. My thoughts at this moment are, - it's the histamines in beer, which I believe are abundant, red wine being the worst. Heaven forbid if I have to stop drinking beer... im sorry i have to say this. guten. allergy or sensitivity
    d.sauce 3 Replies
    • December 17, 2008
    • 09:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a very similar condition. I have searched the internet through and through and have found many other people with this same condition. One common denominator is that we are all tired, frustrated, and annoyed--and not satisfied with the lame diagnoses our doctors give. To me, it seems to ridiculous to have this many people with the same symptoms and yet we can't find out what exactly it is. There has to be SOMETHING, right? I'm 24 years old, a female, and it started for me almost four years ago (four years in February). My legs would become so itchy that I would scratch till I bled (still do, sometimes). My Mom and I thought it was maybe my birth control. Then we thought maybe the Effexor. My doctor at the time (got sick of her BS and left her) told me first, it was because of my shaving. She said my skin was irritated and I should get laser removal. Well, excuse me, rich woman, I'm a college kid and simply cannot afford to get my legs laser hair removal. Besides, that would be a topical thing, and I knew that this was internal. No lotions, creams, soaps, or soaks ever helped--only OTC Benedryl. So I knew it was internal. The second time I saw her she said it was hormonal. That, because I was "not getting any younger," my hormones caused this. WHAT?! At the time, I was 23 years old. I even said, "are you serious? I'm only 23." I understand, hormones change, but to make it sound like it was because I was aging? That is stupid. That was the last straw, so I changed doctors. The second doctor I went to, I went in and showed my legs and explained the problem. He BARELY looked at me and diagnosed it as eczema. WHAT? I had no signs or symptoms of that at all, except for itch. No white patches, no red marks, no hives, no scales, no nothing. But he wouldn't hear of it either. I gave a chance and tried the hydrocortisone cream. It obviously did nothing. I finally decided to go to my dermatologist who at least acted sympathetic and heartfelt. He nodded at my symptoms and scratched my legs and and arms and they welted up right away. He diagnosed it as dermatographism. He said it was when my body produces to many histamines. It could be linked to my Effexor, or it could be genetic. I am currently not taking Effexor (I've taken too many anti-depressants for too long. I'm going to try to go natural.) So right now, I'm taking Citirizine every night and if I have a break-out, I take Benedryl also. Cold packs help, but I have to pretty much numb my skin. That can hurt sometimes but more often, I'm just too tired to put up with that. Or, now that it's winter, the last thing I want to do is put ice on my body at bedtime. I have noticed that heat makes it worse. So even in winter, at bedtime, I have to wear shorts. I noticed if my skin gets hot, 9 chances out of 10, I will break out. Just in the past few weeks, I have noticed a spot on my upper arm that is getting itchy and everything. I hope it's just a coincidence though. For now, my itch has only been on my legs. It is my sincere wish that the government would try to gather these cases and hire a medical examination board to see what this is all about. It seems too weird that there are this many people with miscellaneous and vague diagnoses to not have some underlying cause. For as much suffering as this causes--and if you have this, you know it should be called suffering--something needs to be done. It is un acceptable.---Scarlet
    Scarlet 2 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 01:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am currently not taking Effexor (I've taken too many anti-depressants for too long. I'm going to try to go natural.) Many dead people's families regret a loved ones decision to stop taking a psychiatric medication or two.Why not try a non-SSRI AD like Tofranil? A Tricyclic Antidepressant, there are dozens to choose from and the side effects are mainly dry mouth, not the serious side effects you seem to be getting from the SSRI.Just a suggestion.
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 03:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi axelrose (nice name ;), Thank you for your concern! I never meant for it to sound like I decided on my own to just quit taking anti-depressants one day. I consulted with my doctor and I came down very, very, painfully, slowly. I have been doing talk therapy for years and am working with my psychologist on this as well as with my general practitioner. Over all, it was a decision by all of us to at least try it for now. See what happens. But seriously, thank you for your concern!Scarlet
    Scarlet 2 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 07:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi axelrose (nice name ;), Thank you for your concern! I never meant for it to sound like I decided on my own to just quit taking anti-depressants one day. I consulted with my doctor and I came down very, very, painfully, slowly. I have been doing talk therapy for years and am working with my psychologist on this as well as with my general practitioner. Over all, it was a decision by all of us to at least try it for now. See what happens. But seriously, thank you for your concern!ScarletYou're very welcome. I have Bipolar disorder and have at time stopped taking my meds because I figured since I felt so great I must not need them anymore. Those were and continue to be bad bad decisions on my part. Plus I've known schizophrenics that stopped or reduced their meds also and they either were hospitalized, became homeless or died from either exposure or suicide. So that's why I get all excited and preachy telling people about psychiatric medications. I'm glad to see you worked with your doctor to do what you did, it seems to be working well for you and I am glad for that.Be well:p and I hope that skin issue gets solved soon and in a proper pain and grief free manner. I could write a book on my negative experiences with doctors but it would be many paragraphs and likely bore you and others to death.;)
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • December 31, 2008
    • 09:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I had to reply to these post. My son who is 32 now has been dealing with intense itching in his legs since he was 19 years old. The doc ran test nothing showed. So he has been taking anihitamines all these years. I just don't get it nobody knows the cause or the cure.Please post here if anyone gets any real answers. I will check back often.Thanks Jan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 05:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My itching is just in the lower half of my legs. It generally itches right when air touches the skin after having worn pants all day. My intense itching all started after a large SCABIES infestation. My uncle (who spent 1 month in jail), failed to mention to me that he had it and was taking a cream for it. Well, it got onto me, probably from sharing a bathroom, and I had no idea what it was and just suffered with itching and small bumps for 2 months (legs, buttocks, torso).Turned out I had a major scabies infestation and got Permethrin 5% for it. Used the cream twice and the infestation went away.Now, I am left with major itching of the skin on the calf portions of my legs. It is horrible and I still hold resentment toward my uncle. It seems silly to others that itching can be as bad as I have it.Could it be too much histamine from my body trying to fight off the scabies infestation on its own for so long? I do have to wonder. I have never tried taking an anti-histamine, I will have to try it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2009
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My itching is just in the lower half of my legs. It generally itches right when air touches the skin after having worn pants all day. My intense itching all started after a large SCABIES infestation. My uncle (who spent 1 month in jail), failed to mention to me that he had it and was taking a cream for it. Well, it got onto me, probably from sharing a bathroom, and I had no idea what it was and just suffered with itching and small bumps for 2 months (legs, buttocks, torso).Turned out I had a major scabies infestation and got Permethrin 5% for it. Used the cream twice and the infestation went away.Now, I am left with major itching of the skin on the calf portions of my legs. It is horrible and I still hold resentment toward my uncle. It seems silly to others that itching can be as bad as I have it.Could it be too much histamine from my body trying to fight off the scabies infestation on its own for so long? I do have to wonder. I have never tried taking an anti-histamine, I will have to try it.I would'nt take any more chances. I'd go for a CT scan to start and if that shows nothing go for an MRI full body scan. If all that fails results then a combination of a EKG, EEG and EMG testing. You might want to go for the echocariogram while doing the EKG to save some time.Not all skin cancers in stage 4 look black or like splothces. Some stage 4 skin cancer presents first as itching or redness with no know alergen.If you can't find a doctor who would order those 6 tests then I would keep changing doctors until you found one who cared about you enough to give you those tests.Many perfectly healthy young people had their lives saved by a full body CT scan and MRI scan. It's 2 hours of your time versus dying possibly.Let us know how things turn out for you.ps. That EMG test is painful, electrical shocks through your body for nerve detection and speed of reflexes to the brain.I've spoke to many Medical Examiners, the ones that do autopsy, and they are amazed at how people had a minor problem that a simple CT scan or MRI would have found. Even people with Stage 4 lung cancer don't show signs until they have a few days to weeks left to live.It's also amazing how people take better care of their car than their bodies. That fancy alarm/boom system cost you $1,000 but you get upset over a $1,500 test that might save your life.Oh well...ONE QUESTION:Have you ever, even for a few moments as a teen, smoked cigarettes? If so you need these tests soon. As we all know 2nd hand smoke can sometimes kill perfectly healthy people who are just near a smoker.
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • January 23, 2009
    • 00:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For those suffering. A person with similar experiences was told by allergist:Take Zyrtec (1) over-the counter - at nightTake 1 Zantac 2 times a day (over the counter)Try it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • for those suffering. A person with similar experiences was told by allergist:Take zyrtec (1) over-the counter - at nighttake 1 zantac 2 times a day (over the counter)try it.2,000 mg benadrly daily worked for me.
    axelrose 66 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 32 and have the same condition with the itching/welts!!! I itch everywhere with the exception of my scalp,bottom of my feet, and private area... Thank GOD!! I itch so bad, feels like I am going to go CRAZY!!! I wake up around 3 & 4 am ITCHING!The itching intensifies when I am hot (in tampa FL.) or start sweating needles to say my PCP just diagnosed me with Hyperthyroidism! So I have been sweating like a PIG!!!! and I hate it! He prescribed Hydroxyzine and also Loratadine... which did not work. The next visit I let him know that I purchased benadryl because the others just were not working! I tried the Benadryl, it worked for the first day or two. NOw it's out of control!!!! I have to go to Urgent Care, ER something I can't take it and MY DR. is on VAC. Oh forgot to mention I did a allergy test (blood work) came back that I am allergic to GRASS. Ummmm... I do not have grass in my house, bed, bthrm, car, job at my desk, or downstairs at the job as well. I need HELP! I think that I've tried everything. Maybe it has something to do with the hormones and to much histamine... like what was said in the previous messages. I wouldn't doubt it because my box of benadryl is ALMOST GONE!!
  • I started itching while i was going thru a bad divorce. i had to work nights. the itching was so bad...my bf would ask what was wrong with me. then 3 yrs later, i was diagnosed with hyperthryroidism from Grave's disease. my levels are normal now after radioactive iodine...but i still itch. for a period of time, i was on armour thryroid which is a natural med instead of the synthetic like synthroid...i'm thinking i didnt itch as much. plus i've gained wt since my dr asked me to go back on synthroid. his reasoning was he could control my dosage easier. but i think i'm going back to get my levels checked...and be put on the natural meds. good luck everyone. i will say..i do notice the itching worse when i get extremely tired. even if during the day i'm tired b/c i didnt sleep well at night.
  • I have been diagnosed hypothyroidism for approx 4 yrs now following the birth of my son. I am a 33 yr old female with no other health issues that I am aware of. I have neglected my thyroid though and barely took the synthroid due to a busy lifestyle (autistic son, divorce, and work as flight attendant). I never felt all that great when taking the synthroid (never tried Armour though which is natural based) so I would start and stop for months at a time. I was a very bad patient!Approx 8 wks ago I began itching in lower legs and it has taken over nearly entire body. I had been taking an antibiotic for a bladder infection and Lexapro for anxiety. In an effort to rule these drugs out, I stopped taking both. Thankfully, I feel happy and no bladder discomforts. It is still quite possible that both drugs are still in my system- according to Allergist #1.My Primary Care Physician- gave me Allegra and urged me to stay with the Lexapro (just in case) and placed me on prednisone (steroid) for approx 5 days. The steroid helped alot but after stopping the steroid, the hives returned with a vengance.Allergist #1- placed me back on prednisone for 5 more days. Gave me Xyzal 5mg, Ranitidine 150mg (this is similar to Tagamet for stomach ulcers but contains an antihistamine). I was also told to stay away from aspirin and ibuprofen and was given a prescription for a headache med that I haven't had to fill just yet.As I am currently on the prednisone (steroid) I feel 80% better. I do get mild hives for now. I cannot stay on the steroid for too long (guess no one should) since they're not all that safe for long term- from what I understand.I did purchase from Whole Foods Grocery Store some homeopathic type of meds. I am trying out an antiyeast medicine called Candex just in case I have an overgrowth of yeast in my body.The best item so far has been a gel based menthol cream, specifically Activ-On. It comes in a stick form like a deodorant. Price is approx $9.99 but I've also found this item on clearance at Rite Aid for approx $2. You definitely need the gel form. If you buy menthol in alcohol form it evaporates before providing much relief. You will get kinda chilly from using it all over your body, but it numbs the skin and you simply add a jacket or blanket and you're fine. This product brings me relief for approx 2-4 hrs. I smear it on and for 10 mins it stings a tiny bit. Get through this initial sting and you'll feel more relief than anything else can bring.Oatmeal products, Cortizone creams, Eucerin, Caladryl lotion DO NOT HELP these kinds of hives. Benadryl cream will help but using too much of it will cause you to become sleepy just as if you took the pills.I am currently awaiting my bloodwork from my endrocrinologist. If I discover that holds the answers then I will update this website.Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone!Tracy
  • Scarletim coming off of effexor now! check this Doc's website out www.jorygoodmanmd.comhe's a genius and totally has it right about how bad SSRI's are for people. it has been so interesting to learn about all the reasons why, especially since i've been on them for 15 years. Now that is scary! He's now slowly introducing Wellbutrin into my system...i found your post because i had a histamine reaction to something...trying to figure that out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2009
    • 01:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have hypothyroidism and have been taking a new generic synthroid for 1-1/2 months, and my itching just started. I have no rash but I have general itching, sometimes a burning sensation, sometimes a prickly feeling. It feels better when I work out. I have night sweats, but the itching is best for me when laying down. I have had allergic problems with synthroid and have only been able to take a specific generic thyroid medicine without hives, but this new one is working but giving me itching without hives, but it feels like hives. Also, I have never known a person with a thyroid problem to be able to go without their thyroid meds for an extended period. Maybe just look at that again. You may need to get back onto your meds. Deprive yourself of sleep and go get your thyroid tested to verify that your thyroid is OK. Otherwise it may not show on the standard thyroid tests that doctors give. I have read several older threads here about itching but I wanted to start a new one to see if anyone has similar conditions to what I have and to see if we can uncover a common denominator. My doctor has labeled my itching condition as having too much histamine in my body but, to me, that sounds like a cop-out. I’ve noticed many people on the threads here that have similar conditions to what I have and most say their doctor can’t find anything to contribute the blame towards. Most threads I’ve read end without people expressing anything beyond their current itching symptoms. I’m certainly no doctor but I am very analytical and try diagnose things myself. Upon reading other threads here about itching, I have seen where people express similar complaints with lots of commonality traits (hypothyroidism, etc) but the common traits were never linked together in their discussion. If anyone out there is tired of the itching and tired of waiting for their doctor to discover a cause for it, read my story and share yours to see if we can find a common denominator(s). For about the past 4 years I have had an uncontrollable itching that I could never link to a specific cause. There are never signs of a rash or irritation, just a very intense itching that most all the time begins in my feet and travels upward into my legs, waist, chest, arms, in a short period of time (<1 hour), most often during the evening/night hours. I have tried all types of medicated creams, lotions, soaps, etc but nothing in that line ever helped. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years ago and took synthroid for it. For the past two years however my thyroid level has been in the normal range without medication but the itching has not stopped. About the same time the low thyroid was diagnosed, my testosterone level was extremely low. I no longer take synthroid but I do continue to take a testosterone replacement medication, Testim. I have tried to link the itching to a medication or other allergy (food, etc.) but I have never been able to find anything. I don’t think the cause is Testim because I had the itching long before starting Testim. I took testosterone shots before beginning Testim and I have stopped using Testim for several months since just to troubleshoot the cause. About 15 years ago I began taking allergy shots which lasted for about 5 years. I sometimes wonder what adverse affect that might have had on my body in how it fights histamines, if any. The only thing that I found to relieve the itching is taking an antihistamine drug, like Benadryl or Zyrtec. My doctor ran some tests and finally gave the condition a name but I don’t remember what he called it. Basically he said my body has too much histamine in it that causes the itching and there is no cure other than controlling it with antihistamines. Personally I feel like there is some other underlying cause for the itching and that my doctor is just labeling it because he doesn’t actually know what the actual cause is. I'm not a doctor so I don’t know for sure, but it seems that way to me. However, it does make sense in the fact that I take a antihistamine and the itching stops. If I miss just one day, I am miserable. Has anyone out there ever experienced the itching that I described and if so, what have you done to manage the itch? If you don’t mind sharing, tell me your past health issues as related to thyroid, allergy shots, synthroid usage, antihistamine meds, testosterone (if you’re a male), etc? Anything and everything may be useful here. Thanks and I hope each of you have a blessed and stress-free day.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 31, 2009
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 41, about 2 years ago I started having uncontrollable itching. I am not/nor was I on any drugs for any medical conditions. I am overweight, but my cholersterol and my blood pressure are great. I don't even take birth control. My only known medical problem is Thallasemia which I inherited from my father. My doctor told me it was not a food allergy like I suspected, he said it is that my body has too much histamine and any contact or change in temperature causes it to release the histamine which causes the itching and welts. I itch from my toes to my head. It sucks.I am taking one claritin in the morning and one zyrtec in the evening. I have been doing it for a month now and the itching while controlled for awhile is returning. I guess I have to up my dose.One of my primary concerns is how sleepy those meds make me. I hate taking meds and these ones make me so tired. Also, do they have any adverse affects for long term use? I have not been given any allergy test as the doctor feels his diagnosis is the end of discussion but I can't help thinking there is more to it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 10:09 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement