Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Shaky, chills, light-headed

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Lauren456
  • November 9, 2008
  • 08:13 AM

I'm getting the shakes, chills, light-headedness, headaches, and dizzy spells (orthostatic hypotension). What could these mean? I thought it was hypoglycemia because it seems to get better when I get sugar into my system but I'm not sure anymore. Please help.

A new symptom occurred earlier tonight and is happening right now. I've never had my hand go sort of half numb but almost aching. It's very annoying and bothersome. I've never had it before and it's not muscle related. No matter how much I stretch or shake it out I can't make the sensations go away.

Any clues in the right direction would be lovely!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• might be due to Anemia or any other Endocrine conditions like thyroid disorders,low blood sugar or diabetes.Visit your doc and do check for haemoglobin,blood sugar,TFT or do some cardio check to rule out if any cardiac cause.
    010081 5 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 02:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey thanks, I was checked for anemia about a year or two ago due to chronic fatigue. Since then I haven't had any problems with fatigue but my tests for anemia were negative. I will get myself to the doctor soon.
    Lauren456 12 Replies
    • November 10, 2008
    • 09:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you do have orthostatic intollerance (hypotension).. this is treatable. shakes, chills, light-headedness, headaches, and dizzy spells can be all orthostatic intollerance symptoms. It could well be something like POTS (postural orthostatic taccycardia syndrome). umm i think i've read somewhere that hypoglycemia happens more in POTS too. Im not sure but hand numbness could be another POTS symptom. Unfortunately most doctors dont know much about POTS .. so it may be best to do your own research on this medical condition first and other kinds of orthostatic hypotension issues eg neurally mediated hypotension (NMH) before approaching the doctor about it.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • November 10, 2008
    • 10:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Two weeks ago around 6pm I had an episode of multipleMultiple myelomaMultiple sclerosisMultiple sclerosis - resourcesMultiple system atrophy symptoms that precipitated very quickly, within about three minutes, without warning. These included feeling very weak, shaking all over, light headed/dizzy,numbnessNumbness and tingling/tingling on fingertips and toes, slight shortness of breathBreath alcohol testBreath holding spellBreath odor and chillChills. I felt like passing out, flushed. I figured it was from not eatingAnorexia nervosaBinge eatingBulimiaEating disorders - resourcesNecrotizing soft tissue infectionSweatingSweating - absent so I grabbed a burger and it seemed to alleviate the problems. Well, it happened again around the same time of day a few days later. But this time, eatingAnorexia nervosaBinge eatingBulimiaEating disorders - resourcesNecrotizing soft tissue infectionSweatingSweating - absent didn't help as much. Eventually the symptoms went away. My colleagues observed that I looked very pale. Since then, I have been experiencing episodes every day in the eveningEvening primrose. I keep a pile of energy bars in the office and gulp one down at the very firstFirst progesterone mc10First progesterone mc5First-progesterone vgs 200First-progesterone vgs 400 hint of weaknessWeakness, shaking, which seems to go away in about ten minutes. If I don't, the symptoms quickly intensify until I am so shaky and weak that I can't remain in a sitting position. I've had bloodAmylase - bloodBleedingBlood cellsBlood clot formationBlood clotsBlood cultureBlood differentialBlood gasesBlood gases testBlood glucose monitoringBlood in semen/urineCalcium - urineCalcium urine testChloride - urineCortisol - urineElectrolytes - urineGlucose test - urineHcg in urineKetones - urineKidney - blood and urine flowLh urine test (home test)Ph urine test test and was told all is ok. Here's the curious part. Last two days, instead of gulping down an energy bar, I've been taking VitaminPernicious anemiaSchilling testScurvyVitamin aVitamin b-12Vitamin b12 levelVitamin b3 sourceVitamin b6 benefitVitamin c benefitVitamin d sourceVitamin e B-12 that dissolves under the tongueTongue tie. This seems to help alleviate the symptoms as well as the energy bar. Any thoughts or guesses on this will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you
    peterworn 8 Replies
    • November 10, 2008
    • 11:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To taniaaust:Thank you very much. I'm pretty much wickedly confused. I had bad postular hypotension a while ago. But now the symptom that's bothering me is the chills and shakiness. It seems that they switch off.Something that may be unrelated is that I have a hard time getting to sleep recently. I can't get to sleep unless I lay flat on the bed without a pillow. I'll wake up with the pillow but I get headaches if I try to fall asleep with one.
    Lauren456 12 Replies
    • November 11, 2008
    • 06:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you had your thyroid levels checked? It sounds as though you may have hyperthyroidism.
    lstevens 9 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 00:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I haven't had any tests except for a general blood workup that included a test for anemia.
    Lauren456 12 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 04:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No, I haven't had any tests for my thyroid or anything. This thing has popped up suddenly during a busy time and it's been hard to find time to get to the doctor.
    Lauren456 12 Replies
    • November 13, 2008
    • 07:11 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement