Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Palpitations, shortness of breath, weakness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: ReneeS14
  • October 30, 2008
  • 04:10 AM

I'm 18 years old and recently, I've started experiencing episodes of a racing, irregular heartbeat. I've had the common temporary palpitations everyone gets once in a while. However, what I've been experiencing lately is nothing like those. I've started having these periods where it's this horrible fluttering feeling in my chest that does not go away. My heart feels like it's having a hard time. I get short of breath and feel extremely weak. And honestly, it's a scary feeling.

I have listened to it with a stethoscope and the rhythm definitely seems abnormal. My heart sounds like it's beating a bit fast, but otherwise normally. Then, after around 10-15 beats, it weakens drastically (becomes soft and hard to hear), and slows significantly for 3-5 beats. It literally sounds as if my heart is struggling.

I have a physical in a few weeks and I'm going to ask for an EKG. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be? Do you think it's something that needs to be checked out sooner?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement