Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Palpitations, shortness of breath, weakness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: ReneeS14
  • October 30, 2008
  • 04:10 AM

I'm 18 years old and recently, I've started experiencing episodes of a racing, irregular heartbeat. I've had the common temporary palpitations everyone gets once in a while. However, what I've been experiencing lately is nothing like those. I've started having these periods where it's this horrible fluttering feeling in my chest that does not go away. My heart feels like it's having a hard time. I get short of breath and feel extremely weak. And honestly, it's a scary feeling.

I have listened to it with a stethoscope and the rhythm definitely seems abnormal. My heart sounds like it's beating a bit fast, but otherwise normally. Then, after around 10-15 beats, it weakens drastically (becomes soft and hard to hear), and slows significantly for 3-5 beats. It literally sounds as if my heart is struggling.

I have a physical in a few weeks and I'm going to ask for an EKG. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be? Do you think it's something that needs to be checked out sooner?

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Lots of possibilities. Try not to worry yourself. Many of them are no big deal, like mitral valve prolapse. I have this-- lots of people do. Give your doctor a chance to wade in on the issue before you get all scared, ok?
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 05:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • your condition is serious,ask to be seen by a cardiologist.2 tests should quikly be done E.K.G unter belastung,and a echographie of the heart.I would also check your tyroid
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 09:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a similar situation happen to me. The doctor put me on tenormin after a few tests. It did not seem to help so I quit caffeine and quit smoking hoping that would make a difference. It did. I have since starting bringing in a little bit of caffeine here and there and I am still okay unless I have too much, such as a chocolate bar, that sends me over the edge. (maybe the sugar/caffeine mix?) It is worth a try to see if it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 02:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had these palps for three yrs...noticed them about three yrs ago, they came and went. However I was sitting got up and my heart had palpls like never before. I thought I was having a heartattack! Cold clamy skin, shaking , heart off beating, tingleling hands and legs felt like I was gonna pass out...they wanted to blame it on an anxiety attack, which I am sure of but that was when this all was happening who would not panic. I have been to an heart doctor and had and tredmill test done and an ultra sound done they said it all looked great, no bad things. However they wanted to put me on a beta blocker, I said for what, they said to make the palpls not as noticable to me! I dont wanna cover up the palps I want an answer as to what is causeing them!! I also stopped smoking and caffeeine and yet have them here and there. Any help anyone?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • These were my exact symptoms and I had a condition called Heart Block and had to have a pacemaker.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had these palps for three yrs...noticed them about three yrs ago, they came and went. However I was sitting got up and my heart had palpls like never before. I thought I was having a heartattack! Cold clamy skin, shaking , heart off beating, tingleling hands and legs felt like I was gonna pass out...they wanted to blame it on an anxiety attack, which I am sure of but that was when this all was happening who would not panic. I have been to an heart doctor and had and tredmill test done and an ultra sound done they said it all looked great, no bad things. However they wanted to put me on a beta blocker, I said for what, they said to make the palpls not as noticable to me! I dont wanna cover up the palps I want an answer as to what is causeing them!! I also stopped smoking and caffeeine and yet have them here and there. Any help anyone? Seeing it raced etc when you stood up it may be Postural orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome (POTS). If so, beta blockers are often something which they try to treat it with. To get POTS diagnosed a test called "tilt table test" is the test usually used to diagnose. POTS is a form of dysautonomia. http://www.dinet.org/
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement