Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Sharp pains throughout the body

Posted In: Muscle conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 1, 2006
  • 07:51 AM

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But, I'm 17 years of age and it occurs mostly when I'm sitting, but also occurs when I'm walking around sometimes. The problem is this: Sharp pains run throughout my body. For example, my thigh will go into contraction-like periods sometimes, then my shoulder will feel sharp pains in it - Like pulsing sharp pains. Then my calf, then my wrist. There isn't a moment that goes by when I'm sitting down that this isn't occuring. However, the pain is not in two places at the same time. It doesn't occur in the shoulder and foot at the same time, for example. It may start in the shoulder then jump to the foot, though.

Is this any cause for concern? And should I go see a doctor?

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Hi there, I suffer from the same thing (for the last few years that is) and I am 37. Kinda comes every now and again, but when it comes it can very from light *****s to a strong electrical shock pain. I did an MRI recently, but nothing came out of interest. I am doing another one soon, but with contract, as this may be a sign of some other deseases. You may want to see a neurologist. I wish you the best of luck!
    Jeneta 5 Replies
    • November 10, 2006
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi i have had same thing a few times thought i was mad. I had sharp pain in groin that then went up just under my right breast. It really winded me and i did begin to panick. I have had bad pain in groin for over a year as i did the splits on ice. (not on purpose).
    DONDON 2 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 01:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 29. I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis in January 2008. And since April I've been experiencing sharp pains that come and go instantaneously in various parts of the body. For a time they were concentrated on the chest area esp. whenever I sat down for a period of time. Now they continue to come and go in a very random fashion. I've had so many types of blood tests done (all of which come back normal). The cardiologist reckons it's probably due to high acidity while the neurologist attributes it to stress levels. I really don't know what it could be, but four months later, it's still bugging me enough to get me worried. What should I do...
    dancingmee 2 Replies
    • August 26, 2008
    • 11:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get these horrible random sharp pains too!!! I've had blood test after blood test all normal!! and a normal mri!!! I don't know what to do either and it worries me because these are not good pains. And they are so random. I did notice something though. When I am pregnant those pains go away. When I am nursing they only come back mildly. One doctor thought that hormone levels are causing this nerve pain. The neurologist and rheumatologist couldn't figure it out, so would an ob figure it out? I don't know!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 06:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi girlinutah, If your blood tests and MRI have come back normal, rest assured you're okay. My blood tests also yielded excellent results. Occasionally I do get sharp pains. But to date, there is no explanation for this. Ten months on, I've learnt to accept this and to move on. Sometimes its disconcerting when these things happen. But we're going to run ourselves down trying to figure out every single thing that medicine cannot explain. So just ignore it when it comes on (and I know how difficult this can be). And tell yourself you do have good health. Don't allow it to steal your peace of mind. Enjoy your day, keep your mind active and exercise regularly. Its grip on you will loosen and you will be much more confident in knowing those sharp pains are not a reflection of poor health. In fact, you're probably healthier than a lot of people out there.
    dancingmee 2 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 02:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am 30 years old and have been experiencing sharp pains moving throughout my body for 15+ years. As i have gotten older the pain is more intense and seems to last longer. My experience is I will get a pain in any area of my body that will literally bend me over in pain. I feel like i have to grab the area where the pain is occuring and apply major pressure with my hand, however it usually does not stop the pain. The pain usually lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and may occur in that same spot again until it randomly moves to the next area. It happens alot in my legs and in the palm up side of my arms between my hand and my elbow. I have had several blood test ran and everything comes back negative. I also get these pains in my head which I have referred to for several years as brain pains. Another strange, and very less frequent, pain i get is in my jawline. It literally feels like I am being electricuted and my face along the jaw line is strained or constrictive, however no one has physically seen any changes in my face when the pain occurs. I would love to figure out what this is and find a treatment as it has become a daily part of my life and continues to worsen as I get older.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well at least I'm not the only one! I am 38 years old and for two years I have been experiencing random, excrutiating sharp pains in what feels like my joints, muscles and bones. Sometimes the pain is dull and thudding and sometimes it is sharp and stabbing, it will last anywhere from 10 seconds to repetatively for over a minute. Feet, calves, joints, hips, stomach, shoulders, arms, fingers, everywhere!MRI - Bone scan - blood tests - neurologist - physiatrist - massage - chiro - and acupuncture - no help. What?? I read the one reply which suggests a sort of acceptance and positive attitude. While I completely agree that when you focus on the posititve, good things happen and a positive mental health totally contributes to ab overall good health and well being - these pains hurt! Alot! If I am driving they scare me enough to pull over because for moments at a atime I am in such pain that I am unaware of what is happening. They are also scary and I do worry that they are some kind of a connection to some future diagnosis that I am afraid of....easy to set that asidethese thoughts on good days and much harder on bad days. My doctor suggested RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.... check that out. Oftentimes it can be triggered by an event of pain...small or large. While I don't completely agree with this possible diagnosis, it is intersting...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2009
    • 06:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 17 and I've had the same kind of pains for a few years now and they only come every now and again but last for about half an hour and the only way to describe the pain is by saying it feels like I am being stabbed in the bone of the area the pain is. The pain jumps from place to place too and it's the exact same pain everytime..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2009
    • 08:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello I'm 36 years old and have experienced off and on same excrutiating sharp pain in my entirebody in the last 7 years. The difference is that the pain I suffer will continue for couple of weaks at a time It can affect my lower back my calfs or my hand and fingers. My doctor diagnosed me having fibromyalgia, but I'm not sure about that. I don't feel any fatigue or other symptoms related to fibromyalgiaonly pain. one! I am 38 years old and for two years I have been experiencing random, excrutiating sharp pains in what feels like my joints, muscles and bones. Sometimes the pain is dull and thudding and sometimes it is sharp and stabbing, it will last anywhere from 10 seconds to repetatively for over a minute. Feet, calves, joints, hips, stomach, shoulders, arms, fingers, everywhere!MRI - Bone scan - blood tests - neurologist - physiatrist - massage - chiro - and acupuncture - no help. What?? I read the one reply which suggests a sort of acceptance and positive attitude. While I completely agree that when you focus on the posititve, good things happen and a positive mental health totally contributes to ab overall good health and well being - these pains hurt! Alot! If I am driving they scare me enough to pull over because for moments at a atime I am in such pain that I am unaware of what is happening. They are also scary and I do worry that they are some kind of a connection to some future diagnosis that I am afraid of....easy to set that asidethese thoughts on good days and much harder on bad days. My doctor suggested RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.... check that out. Oftentimes it can be triggered by an event of pain...small or large. While I don't completely agree with this possible diagnosis, it is intersting...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 06:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But, I'm 17 years of age and it occurs mostly when I'm sitting, but also occurs when I'm walking around sometimes. The problem is this: Sharp pains run throughout my body. For example, my thigh will go into contraction-like periods sometimes, then my shoulder will feel sharp pains in it - Like pulsing sharp pains. Then my calf, then my wrist. There isn't a moment that goes by when I'm sitting down that this isn't occuring. However, the pain is not in two places at the same time. It doesn't occur in the shoulder and foot at the same time, for example. It may start in the shoulder then jump to the foot, though. Is this any cause for concern? And should I go see a doctor?Hi Justin,I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor. There are numerous potential causes of the symptoms you describe. Since your symptoms are particularly aggravated during sitting, it might be worth while improving your sitting position and posture to see if this has an effect on your symptoms. Check out the following link for detailed information on improving your posture:Hope that helps and good luck,PhysioAdvisor
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 01:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 16, and I've had what seems to be the same problems as you.Usually the pain is just dull bone aches. But when it's in my cranium it's usualy sharper. And when it's in my stomache/ abdominal/ pubic region it's worse and usualy repeats itself for 5 minutes. (Estimation.) Also heart palpitations, sometimes I feel like I'm going to throw up but I don't feel nausous. And finally, about the time these pains arose I started to get a bit dylexic and also would have very minor halucinations. I mean like glancing to the side and seeing a mail box on second, the looking back it it was'nt there, but nothing problematic.I'm not a stressed person or anxious, but other than that it seem's really close to Briquet's Disorder.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2010
    • 08:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am also 17 and have had these sharp pains going on for a few days. They are worrying me. Mine started in my abdomen/ovary area and it literally felt like a knife sticking in me, they would increase when I moved around, and stood up, etc. Then my chest area, the same pains there. I'm kind of worried, as I've been rather sluggish & wanting to sleep all the time. I feel like something is wrong, very discouraged.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2010
    • 03:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i am 24 and just went through a vary long weekend and it ended up causeing me these sharp aches and pains in various parts of my legs. so i decided to "TRY" and look it up and all i came up with was mostly stress in general, even on the body. it could even come on after ur getting over a bad cold or the flu.On friday i had a gallbladder attack that i had to go to the hospital for "it could have been gallstones" both extremley pain full i could hardly move i spent 9 hours there and then i ended up getting sick from being at the hospital and spent 3 day with body aches and pains, hot sweat, cold chills, sore eyes, and a great headache to top it off lol. and then followed the shap leg pains... well i can say have had them before but they are just darn annoying! ..... i think a hot bath ,shower,wrap(around the achey part)or a really good massage might do the trick. cant hurt to try it....
  • I'm not sure if we are all feeling the same type of pain. But I have sharp to mild pain usually in my side or abdomen and hands. Kind of like an electric shock that pulses or there may be only one pain. Anyway, I have had the same symptoms, being winded because the pain is so bad. I also have tingling in my hands, feet, arms and legs. I have scoliosis and have had a nerve test and an electro something-or-other. Anyway, what I'm looking up now is called Thoracic Outlet Syndrom. It's not life threatening and can be helped with stretches/yoga and strengthening excersises. Even though all of my tests came back negative, my doctor suggested that I go ahead and begin physical therapy. If you are having these types of pain, look up TOS and determine if it may be effecting you. Oh, I also had severe pain in my higher shoulder due to muscle spasms that never released. I also started taking Valerian Root for that. It tastes bad, but it works gooooood.
  • I just got these weird pains about 8 months ago. However, my pains started to develop over a series of two weeks. One day I woke up and both my fore arms were tingling, almost numb. Then the following day I got the worst headache I've ever had in my life. A day after that I got the worst lower back pain I've ever experienced, and then finally I began to get really strong shooting like pins and needle pains throughout my body. I went to every type of doctor I could think of and had many exams and everything came back normal. So I just stopped looking for an answer, it's pretty obvious that doctors cant diagnose it because they nobody truly knows what it is. Who knows how long it'll take until were able to get medicine for whatever it is we have. That being said, it's up to us to try and see if we can control them. If there's anyone who's had these symptoms and gotten rid of them please post. I know that taking vitamin B-12 helps along with a well balanced nutritional diet and plenty of exercise. However if there's any extra info on this matter, please post.
  • This reminds me a lot of myself! I get random sharp pains in my shins, arms (not in my joints I might add), ribs, along my spine, and most commonly, in my head and face. I’ve been told a lot of times that I’m just getting migraines, but I’ve had migraines before, and this isn’t it. It feels almost like I’m being hit in the back of the head, or my face with a baseball bat, and I can practically feel the specific point the pain is radiating from, rather than a typical, pounding head ache. I’ve always found the pain in my shins, arms, ribs and spine odd because they’re deeper than normal aches, and they’re never in my joints, always over solid bone. It scares me sometimes to, because I won’t be able to stand up, without feeling like someone shot me in the leg, or stepped on my spine. The worst part is, everyone I’ve told (which isn’t a lot of people) has said, ‘Everyone get’s those, don’t be so sensitive.’ Or ‘Come on, you’re just making a big deal out of nothing.’ To make matters worse, my sister is a borderline hypochondriac, so, whenever I’m sick, or have unexplainable pain, I’m terrified that it’s all in my head. Although, hearing everyone else’s stories makes me think that the pain is real. I’m still not sure I should be concerned enough to see a doctor though, because I don’t want to go in and sound like an attention starved lunatic, or a hypochondriac.
  • I'm a 19 year old male. I got some random sharp pains today. One just shot up at my shoulder, then, in my stomach... all in my left side. It would only do that sharp pain when I tried to breath heavily... i can do small short breathing and no pain. I bend over and the pain returns. I walked around outside and run for a little bit. The pain went away and I was fine. I ate, and I have been watching the sodium intake since it did happen before. I don't have chest pains but I feel wierd, like I am getting paraniod about getting a heart attack, so is it possible that my mind is playing tricks?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2010
    • 04:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get these horrible random sharp pains too!!! I've had blood test after blood test all normal!! and a normal mri!!! I don't know what to do either and it worries me because these are not good pains. And they are so random. I did notice something though. When I am pregnant those pains go away. When I am nursing they only come back mildly. One doctor thought that hormone levels are causing this nerve pain. The neurologist and rheumatologist couldn't figure it out, so would an ob figure it out? I don't know!!!!Have you found anything out? I'm having the same symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2011
    • 09:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 13, and ive had it for as long as i can remember...Random horrible pains at random times..random places, it SUCKS. >_< I've told my mom, unfortunatly, shes done nothing. So i guess im doing my own research....i dont really know what to start at, but im starting at places like this....Sometimes the pains are gone for days--weeks, even or months...but its been becoming more and more painful and been happening a lot more lately. I dont know who to do to, or if i should..
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement