Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Joint swelling/redness then bumps on fingers..

Posted In: Hand conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: themetricsystem
  • October 26, 2008
  • 06:04 AM

So, throughout the past two or so years, about every few months I get these strange symptoms: usually exclusively my right hand. First (what I thought) was my last joint on a few of my fingers (usually middle, ring, and index) will start to ache, and then the next few days they will start to swell slightly on the underside and sometimes side and rarely top of the joint where the aching was. It's nothing HUGE but there is a definite difference in size, and then the skin and underneath (what I assumed was my joints) both ache for a while. Then after the symptoms peak, the swelling starts to go down, the pain goes away, and the skin bump(s) go down and sometimes harden and where they were is barely noticeable.

When I have these episodes, generally the affected skin stays where the (supposed) joint pain is, but sometimes it is scattered sparsely around the affected finger(s) in small lumps that vary in size to one another, but still mainly collected around the joint. They may be fluid filled but the skin on them isn't thin as though they could be easily popped, and they have never ruptured on their own. I get the same thing sometimes on my toes but it doesn't start with joint pain, I just get small spots on my toes of sensitivity on the skin and it eventually passes.

I went to a doctor for it once, but the sparse smaller bumps weren't present and he just told me I needed to keep my hands warmer, and I complied, but it didn't help. I researched it recently and found there was something called Herpetic Whitlow, which is essentially herpes of the finger. Mine slightly resembles the more minor picture of herpetic whitlow, but mine never progress and pop or rupture, they just go back down and sometimes harden.

Here's my info:

Sex:F

Orientation:Lesbian

Medication:Adderall XR 25mg & 5mg generic

Sexual history: has had multiple partners but none showed signs of herpes, and current girlfriend of 1 year doesn't have it.

Signs/previous symptoms: kanker sores ever since I was young, but never had cold sores or genital herpes. I got the toe symptoms (skin sensitivity on parts of toes) since 8th grade, when I had never had a sexual partner.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I believe it is something called "Raynaud's Phenomenon & Raynaud's Syndrome"What is it?Raynaud's is a disorder that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose. This disorder is characterised by episodic attacks, called vasospastic attacks, that cause the blood vessels in the fingers and toes to constrict. Raynaud's can occur on its own, or it can be secondary to another condition such as scleroderma or lupusWho does it affect?Although estimates vary, recent surveys show that Raynaud's syndrome may affect 5 to 10 percent of the general population. Women are more likely than men to have the disorder. Raynaud's syndrome appears to be more common in people who live in colder climates. However, people with the disorder who live in milder climates may have more attacks during periods of colder weather.What Happens During an Attack?For most people, an attack is usually triggered by exposure to cold or emotional stress. In general, attacks affect the fingers or toes but may affect the nose, lips, or ear lobes.you can find more info at this website http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/raynauds.html
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement