Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Unexplained Recurring Diarrhea

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Pink_Panther27
  • October 18, 2008
  • 11:17 PM

I am a female, in my early 20’s.

Between mid-July and mid-September I was sick with diarrhea about every two weeks. I would get sick, be sick for a few days and around two weeks get sick again.

This happened four times between mid-July and mid-September of this year.

I talked to a doctor about this a blood test and stool test was done. Both tests came back normal, no evidence of a bacterial/viral infection and no parasites.

I have not been out of the country or been drinking any stream water. I do not have an eating disorder. I do not drink. I have never smoked. I am not any medications prescription or over the counter stuff.

The doctor did some consultation and in her opinion thinks I do not have a bowel or intestinal disorder.

In none of the cases was there ever a bloody stool.

The doctor concluded I must have a food intolerance/acquired a food intolerance.

Based on my introspection it just does not seem very plausible.

The only other thing that comes to mind is food poisoning or stress.

I generally do not eat a lot of processed foods and do not eat out a lot and consider myself reasonably hygienic when it comes to cooking so food poisoning seems unlikely.

Stress also doesn’t seem a reasonable culprit. During the summer my stress overall was down. And a few times I was really stressed out I did not immediately become sick within a day/a few days.

Given how I have been getting sick in two week increments I expected to get sick around September 29th. I did not become sick. I thought I was in the clear. But yesterday on October 17th in the middle of the night I had terrible cramping, had been sweating and had this nasty rotten egg breath that has always been a pre-cursor to the watery stools. Almost on the dot 12 hours after the first symptoms appeared I started having watery stools.

The good news is that today the 18th of October it seems all the symptoms have evaporated.

There really have not been any co-morbid things like a high fever accompanying the episodes of diarrhea. I have been generally experiencing a lack of appetite, but this is very general and could indicate a number of things or could indicate nothing.

If anyone would be able to provide any insight into this I would appreciate it.

But based on a few threads I have seen where the case bears some semblance to my own the case remains unresolved/unexplained.

P_P27

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement