Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Wrong prescription for contact lenses

Posted In: Medical Errors 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 16, 2008
  • 06:33 PM

I went to my eye doctor earlier this year for new contact lenses. It was my annual visit. Prior to this visit, my prescription was -7.0. My optician told me that my vision was the same, but he wanted to write a prescription for me of -6.5 for contact lenses. He said that my vision was staying the same and wanted to make it better. For a few months, everything was normal. Now, however, I can barely read street signs and I have to sit closely to my computer to see things. I have not gone back in for another checkup because it would not be covered under my insurance plan. What should I do? I feel that this doctor has caused my vision to worsen because he gave me the wrong prescription. My eyes may have gotten better had he given me the correct prescription. Help, please. Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• From what I've been reading online contact prescriptions should be a point lower then your glasses prescriptions. (Prescriptions go up or down by .25) Example Glasses -4.50 Contacts should be -4.25. I had to look this up because my doctor gave me my glasses prescription -3.00 and contact prescription -3.25 and my contacts have been killing me. After looking it up it seems that he has made a huge mistake. From what you said it seems that your doctor did the right thing but if you are having problems you should go in and get a check up. If he made a mistake he might do it for free. I hope this helped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2008
    • 09:54 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement