Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Itchy, redness, swelling...

Posted In: Skin conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: crackpotten
  • October 31, 2006
  • 07:10 PM

I have an issue that doesn't happen all the time. First, I do suffer from migraines and I had severe sinus infections due to a syst in my maxilarry sinus cavity that was removed. I don't think those things are related to my skin issue but I don't really know.

What happens for me is if I get an itch and I scratch even mildly, it will leave red swollen puffy and itchy lines on my skin from where I scratched myself. Which in turn causes me to scratch more if I am asleep. I end up waking up and having to go take benadryl because my arms, back, legs will end up covered with these red, itchy, puffy scratch marks.

Sometimes it can take just touching the skin with something, such as putting my arm though a fence to pet my dog. Where my forearm touches the fence it will leave red, puffy, itchy lines. Ends up looking like my forearms have been scratched when all they did was touch the fence.

I was opening a soda bottle with a twist off cap, and my thumb and pointy finger ended up with these type of whelps where I touched the cap.

It seems like some days it happens and some days it don't. For example the soda bottle, I had drank part of the soda and then noticed my finger and thumb itching and looked to see the swelling and puffy areas. Then I had to think back to what I had touched with my finger and thumb to realize thats what it was from. That was the first time that happened. But it seems the same as what happens to my arms or what happens when I sleep or scratch an itch.

I am wondering if this is just a sensative skin issue, an allergy, or a symptom of some other problem. :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I, too, had itchy red bumps and red patches with bumps appear wherever my skin was irritated or scratched. I was given steroid drugs that did nothing to relieve the blisters and itching. Since the Dr. didn't know what was wrong, I had to diagnose myself. I felt it must be from something I was eating, so I went to a nutritionist. She put me on a diet that eliminated foods that are known to cause reactions. After being on the diet for two weeks, the blisters and redness were mostly gone. I learned that I am allergic to gluten. I am now on a gluten free diet and free of the itchy blisters; my migraines and hayfever went away, I have more energy and less anxziety. My son is also on the diet and feels much better (his reaction to gluten was to fall asleep after/while eating dinner, have muscle aches the next day and a constantly drippy nose). I suggest doing a web search on Dermatitis Herpetiformis and see if the resulting descriptions and information sound familiar. Good Luck!
    Food Allergies 7 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Actually this makes a lot of sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiac_disease Intestine issue associated with eating gluten or wheat products. Can cause Diarrhea, weight loss and Fatigue, and it interferes with the absorbtion of nutrients. This interferance can cause lactose intollerence or irritable bowel syndrome as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformis A rash, itchiness, redness and swelling that is associated with Celiac Disease.
    crackpotten 3 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My son has had allergies to many things ....like horses. IF he rubs a horse and then rubs his face, he will be covered in whelps. He had to allergic reactions to something he ate...(we think). He has had three allergic reations this week. Benedryl usually takes care of it. However, this one has lasted for two days. He isn't sick anymore...just the whelps. They go away and then if he starts to itch again and scratches his skin...he gets these huge whelps. The more he scratches the bigger they get. Some can end up as big around as my fist and it looks like it is filled with fluids or something. He can't get in to see the allergist for four weeks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 11:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If your son still is experiencing the horrible red rash, I suggest you investigate gluten intolerance and dermatitis herpetiformis and leaky gut syndrome.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatitis_herpetiformisWhen my son and I went on a gluten free diet, most of our allergies to environmental sources disappeared, along with the awful rash.Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had that-don't know if this is you--but for me i get a 'histamine' release. it feels like it is right beneath the skin. i would get a row a hives around any area where it was tight on my skin. frustrating and mysterious and everyone is different. could have same symptoms same disorder-or completely differnet symptomes same disorder. i also get migraines that are hormone related. about a week before i am going to get a migraine i can feel a histamine release that for example can be felt if i rub my shoulders or head and causes the itchyness. and until recently i had not broken out in full blown hives, but knew there would be a migraine related to this event. an urgent care doctor knew exactly what i was tallking about and there is a name for it. but i have been describing the same set of circumstances for 20 years and only 1 doctor knew what i was talking about. you could see if it is food allergy related to trigger the event, but for me it is mostly hormones. secondary i suppose would be stress, certain foods at certain times of the month etc. i hope this helps you-
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 00:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • What you probably have is called "dermatographism." You might want to Google that to see if it makes sense to you.
    whatswrongnow 2 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 03:57 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement