Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

WORRIED! Continous non-stop period for over 5 weeks now!

Posted In: Sexual conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 10, 2006
  • 07:56 PM

I'm waiting for insurance to kick in, so I can't see and haven't seen a doctor yet.

Anyhow, this is the first time I've ever written to a forum because I'm starting to panic about my symptoms.

First of all I have had a menstrual period continuously (every day non-stop) since May 4, 2006 and It is now June 10, 2006. 5+ weeks! Second I have been getting severe dizzy spell about every 2-3 days during this time frame, it basically feels like I'm tipsy-drunk from alcohol (the last drink I had was in December), and the only conclusion I can think of is well, lack of iron from losing so much blood, therefore possibly anemia. Third I've been getting Light flashes/blobs in my right eye on the right side of the eye, sortof like when you are really really tired and you rub your eyes kind of hard and you can see a blob from your finger rubbing, the light I see is about the size of a finger print. Fourth I've started to bruise easy in the last week and a half, again the only thing I can think of is lack of iron, therefore anemia due to blood loss from long period, and I have about 5 bruises right now. Fifth, I just noticed a little skin rash right above my pubic hairline and below my belly button, I can't think that's at all related, but I don't know. Well there's the list...

Some things that might help, I am morbidly obese, I've gained about 200lbs in a 4 year time frame, I can't seem to lose the weight, I was put on a 1000 calorie diet by a endochrinologist I was seeing, it didn't work, and yes I really did follow it. I'm kind of tired of problems being blamed on the weight, I kind of think the weight might be a symptom, because I'm 23 I had an ROTC scholarship, worked out every day hardly ate anything and couldn't lose the 15 pounds I needed to then to meet my weight max (age 17-18 weight then was 185) so I had to give the scholarship up, and started to eat normal and just steadily kept gaining weight, I eat salad every day for a meal, and sometimes have it twice a day, and I have oatmeal for breakfast.

When I was seeing the endochrinologist I had missed some periods, the longest I went without one was 3.5 months (January 2005). I had x-rays and ultrasounds done and they did not find PCOS or fybroids, so she had started doing other tests, had frequent nosebleeds last summer, she did an x-ray, said I had a deviated septum, and allergies. She did an x-ray, of my liver, and I had an elarged "fatty liver" as though I were an alcoholic, which I hardly every drink. My cholesterol was normal, and blood pressure is normal. The only tests that came back abnormal was testosterone which was a little high, and I had extremely high serotonin a "13.7" she said normal was like 6-8 and deppression numbers are like 3-4 whatever that means, and that's as far as I got before I switched jobs and had to be on a probation period without medical benefits for 6 months.

So everything has been fine these few months except for what I listed as symptoms, and that the 1000 calorie diet isn't working.

I would appreciate any feedback and help I can get on this, and any information I can research, to jump right back into testing to figure out what's wrong with me, once my insurance is up and running again.

Thank you sooooo much!

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Vesessa: Sounds like a lot going on. A period non-stop for that long is not normal. The light-headedness is probably due to a low hemaglobin, which is related to the oxygen content in your blood. You evetually may pass out, even when driving or walking down the stairs and put yourself and others at risk. The other problems of bruising may be related to your liver. The nosebleeds may have been allergies, but maybe something else. You really need some extensive blood work (labs) done, and an endocrinologist. You may want to see a different one than before for a second opinion. If you do not have insurance there usually are clinics available. Delaying a visit could make things worse. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • You definately have to see a doctor, wether you have insurance or not. I have low iron and horrible periods, but you have a lot going on. I am not a doctor, but I think you are right about your symptoms being connected. You symptoms are bad enough on their own, but now add them all together, you have a seroius health issue. Forget the diet, find out the causes for your symptoms. If losing weight is something you have to do, do it right, but take care of the other medical issues first. If you fix what is causing the bleeding and other symptoms, you might naturally lose the weight. Let us know what the doctor says. Please go. Take care.
  • i'm aproaching my 17th birthday ... and i started my periods about 6 years ago and my periods have been non-stop since i started ... so i was given the pill to control it.I don't know what it is to be prefectly honest.but if yoo find out ... =Ddo tell.BiSiByezSabrina!!Xx.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2008
    • 10:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there. I have been going through something similar. I am 35 and my periods have been irregular for years but for the past 6 weeks I was bleeding almost non-stop. I, too, am overweight and this seems to be the cause for many of my own health issues. Anyway, my gynecologist has recently diagnosed me with a hormone imbalance. She did an ultrasound on my uterus and found the lining to be really thick. It was thick enough that she took a sample of it for biopsy. The biopsy showed some precancerous cells. This is uterine hyperplasia. The thickening is caused from too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. We have estrogen in our fat cells so this condition tends to hit those of us who are overweight. She has prescribed Provera for me. 4 pills per day for 3 months. Provera is a fancy name for progesterone. I realize we are at different ages but the bleeding is NOT normal and you should see a gynecologist as soon as you can. I'm not saying this is for sure what you have because it can be caused by many things. However, I do not think you should delay in finding out what's going on.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 01:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there. I've been someone that has always had a fairly regular period except for about 2 years ago, when i had nothing for about 9 months. My periods then came back regularly however soon became longer, ie they'd last for more than 10 days or so, or more and I'd be lucky to have a week off. Anyhow now for the past 3 months i've been bleeding steadily, and everytime i go to my doctor i forget to tell him, so I'm seeing him tomorrow.I have had 2 children and never in my life have bled so heavily, it's awful. Today when i woke up I went to the toilet, it became covered as did alot of my legs etc, and i went to shower, and I use tampons, so it's not as if I should have too much mess.Has anyone got an opinion about this? I'll let you know what the dr says.. I've also had severe stomach and back pain which is what i used to get as period pain when i was about 13 or 14, I'm now 28.Any insight or opinions would be much appreciated.CheersMy email is ginnysmurf@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I bled for almost 8 months straight at one point. I had dizziness, near black outs, vision disturbances, felt extremely cold, often felt like the floor was closing in on me, losing hair, super small appetite, and was extremely tired. Like you, I thought it was anemia/lack of iron. I was very overweight at the time (5'2" / 180 lbs). I was completely unable to lose a pound no matter how I ate or exercised.I was tested by a clinic for anemia, yes, I was anemic due to blood loss, gave me some iron supplements and nutrition information, and told me to go to my regular doc.Did my own research online and through my family and asked my doc to test me for diabetes and hypothyroidism. I tested positive for hypothyroidism and was put on hormonal treatment.After being on the medication (levothyroxin) for about 3 months the bleeding stopped, my hair started to grow back, I slowly lost some weight. I was not dizzy and the other symptoms went away too.Have you been tested for thyroid disease, particularly hypothyroidism?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 04:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have had the same problem I started my cycle when I was 11 andtge doctors just said I would grow out of it. They considered anemia but just prescribed adding spinich to my diet. When I got to highschool they tested my blood and my doctor told me tgat thevreason this happens is because your estrogen levels are low, which iscwhy they use birth control as the solution. Unfortunately for me they had to put me in the highest dose got it to work snd it sent me into a depression and Aldo made me gain 10 pounds. So now I'm off the pill and the cramps are 50 times worse after you come off, but it takes several months before the pill gets out of your system so I was normal for a while. Now I take a vitamin called bayberry which is a root thR stops the hemoraging. It's not a great solution bc the problem is still there and it just masks the syptoms, but at least it's something I bled for almost 8 months straight at one point. I had dizziness, near black outs, vision disturbances, felt extremely cold, often felt like the floor was closing in on me, losing hair, super small appetite, and was extremely tired. Like you, I thought it was anemia/lack of iron. I was very overweight at the time (5'2" / 180 lbs). I was completely unable to lose a pound no matter how I ate or exercised.I was tested by a clinic for anemia, yes, I was anemic due to blood loss, gave me some iron supplements and nutrition information, and told me to go to my regular doc.Did my own research online and through my family and asked my doc to test me for diabetes and hypothyroidism. I tested positive for hypothyroidism and was put on hormonal treatment.After being on the medication (levothyroxin) for about 3 months the bleeding stopped, my hair started to grow back, I slowly lost some weight. I was not dizzy and the other symptoms went away too.Have you been tested for thyroid disease, particularly hypothyroidism?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2009
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • my questions is the following?since i gave birth to my son 11 months ago my period just hasnt stop at all and i want to reduce the flow or terminated or make it go back to normal what can i do?
  • quit worrying about the insurance and go to the doc
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2010
    • 02:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I'm Gen, 19, and I am really worried about my menstration too since last June my menstration never stop. I'm so worried I never gone to the doctor because of financial problems and also I dont want my parents to spend any money for me. The thing is I am a college-working student, am so afraid but I am also positive that it will stop soon. Another thing is that my menstration is not regular and I dont know what to do really.Pls. God Help me!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 09:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I worry too. *It been three months of my nonstop period and still on. *I think I should not worry althought I feel a little light headed when I move quick fast. *I not worry about lack of iron since I eat vitamin pills like daily. What I am worry about that I got to retake my pap smear in days. *There was blood showing on my pap smear test I saw on the q-tips quite worry me. * My other blood test was fine. *There no HIV, no STD but obesity with bad cholesterol. *I worry about was HPV or cancer. *My doctor told me it was okay to take a pap smear period are spotting like little blood but not a normal period. *I also waiting to check ultrasound soon too. *When I have heavy period I find out eating a lot make my body feel better.*I had non stop period for 3 months last year too, *In the middle of three months and i had one week stop and then it continue the flow. *It very scary. *All blood I see in the toliet daily. It even look bloody discharge. *Making me fear for my heart may not handle losing all those bloody forcing it to work extra hard. *I am also type of person that doe not get much sleep. * I took a pap smear during my period too and the doctor said should not retake since like I passed. *Well I think I pass too since I read online that taking antibiotic can alter pap smear result. *It turn out normal and the ultrasound was normal too. *Doctor told me to check my colon since my consistence stomach pains was not cause from my women reproduction organ.**I guess I was too much stress but then I remember when I was pregnant year ago I was having my period twice or so. *It was painful to walk, drive and sit. *Drinking one full 16 oz bottle was too much for me pain my stomach. *I even got heartburn and pain in one side of my stomach. *I believed I hurted my stomach when I was like four month pregnant carry heavy things. *I was in pain and there after my whole pregnancy was painful one. *I worked in the restaruant carry very heavy 50 lbs things too. *Lucky i stop working after my fouth months of pregnacy. *Thank God, my baby borned normal and healthy. *The doctor had told me during my 8 months of pregnancy that the blood from my bladder not from the baby. *This had scared me but as long as my baby ok I was ok. *I remember years back too it was extremely heavy period need to change my pads less than a minute too. *I might as well stay in the toliet all day. *It was more clot of blood than a can of soup each time I use the restroom. *It was when I was in my twenty and I did not go to the doctor. *It was horrible 6 weeks long period it seem like I may had a miscarriage. *I may not not know cause of my irregular period. * I can be four months with no period and tested not pregnant.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement