Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Small acne-like lump in bellybutton, puss and traces of blood

Posted In: Skin conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 10, 2008
  • 10:58 AM

4 months ago, I started noticing a slight discomfort in my belly button, and then I discovered a rather small acne-like lump forming on the top wall of it. However, this got bigger than acne into a lump and it eventually became red, a bit swollen and with "inflamed" sensation, sensitive to touch and generally "burning". I was stretching the skin around it to get a better look, and a trickle of puss with few traces of blood started coming out. Tried to drain it a bit more, but more puss than I expected continued to come out, with some traces of blood, so I stopped. Went to a clinic, where the nurse did a lab on it (which found nothing, no bacteria), but cleaned the belly button out and applied an iodine-soaked gauze with plaster on it 3 times over 10-12 days. The thing has dried up and shrivelled away after that.

In the last 4 days, I felt the small lump forming again, and I can see it. It does not cause any discomfort, but it is not very big and red yet (although I'm sure it's getting bigger). Went to the clinic again, the nurse told me to wait it out as it will probably grow larger and start letting out puss, and she gave me iodine gauze to apply at such time. I got the usual talk how my body is currently fighting whatever it is down there, and that it is no time for antibiotics (and I quite agree with this).

However, can anyone guess what's causing this? I've never had any piercings/operations/anything in that general area of the belly button, I am a generally healthy 31-year-old and now I get this thing which looks like a straght small infection, goes away and comes back 4 months later.

The nurse said that she does see things like that a lot (although none of my friends ever had anything like it), and that generally men get them (hairs, sweat, belly button generally being a sweet spot for dirt & moist), unusually, sometimes on the back (?! which I didn't really understand, how could it be a same thing then?). That was sort of reassuring, but I'm interested can anything be done to prevent this? If you get it for the first time when you're 31, and then comes back 4 months later, I'd like to see is there something I can do about stopping this coming back long term. Pay more attention to belly button when showering?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement