Discussions By Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

Upper back and neck muscles in spasms

Posted In: Multiple Sclerosis 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 5, 2008
  • 02:24 PM

I have had this for over 10 days. The muscles in my rear neck and upper back (traps) are in a constant spasm. I even tried a Flexeril and valium to relax them and that didn't work. I find no relief from anything. Active-On makes me smell funny and that is all it does.

Also new along with this are small muscle cramps in fingers and toes, especially when in bed. I am not on any new meds. I HURT!

I have noticed new areas at both elbows where the skin has lost feeling. Not all of the feeling, but greatly decreased.

I did not injure myself, so can anyone tell me if this is just another symptom of MS or not. :eek:

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Were u diagnosed with MS? I have fibromyalgia and I get all the same types of muscle spasms u speak of and my muscles sometimes lock in certain areas, I also get areas of numbness. I gave up on pain meds and muscle relaxants cus they do nothing for the pain. I use moist heat and hot baths when I get really bad. Good Luck hon As EvErCat
    kitcat48 80 Replies
    • October 7, 2008
    • 11:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have fibro. But this is different as it stays in one spot. My fibro pain moves all around and is different from day to day, even changes hour to hour. I also have Arnold Chiari Malformation which could be the cause of this neck and shoulder pain. I have not been Dx with MS. But I keep reading and it seems more and more that all of my signs and symptoms are heading that way. My Dr wanted an MRI way back in 1992 and I just can NOT get into that tube. Claustrophobia!!!!!!! They had to knock me out once to even get me in the CT scanner. I was buried alive in snow when I was in grade school and had to dig myself out. Scarey! Thanks for your reply. I guess I will live on the heating pad. Sirk
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2008
    • 00:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://www.sover.net/~devstar/ That above is an interesting read. I not only was diagnosed with FMS but Myofascial Pain Syndrome also. MFS can also mimic FMS etc. I've never had MRI or Catscan for same reason I hate tight places! With MS, it wud show spots on brain and a scan really only way to see if U have these tell tale signs, MS also can be very hard to diagnose. Keep me posted, if I can be of any help...ask As EvErCat
    kitcat48 80 Replies
    • October 7, 2008
    • 09:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for reminding me of that link for Devstar. I had read that entire site but many years ago, and it has changed since then. I forgot to mention that I already know I have MPS as well as CPS.I have asthma and never know if an attack is the real asthma or the mutliple chemical sensitivities. OH, I am just an old mess! Somedays I feel like I am about 100 and yesterday and today for sure. Oh I forgot to say that for many years I thought Devon was a man. Sure glad "she" put her picture on her site. hehe Thanks for caring. Guess I just needed to vent a little. I will be back.Sirk
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 01:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS) and was amazed when I visited the linkhttp://www.sover.net/~devstar/how many similarities there are, esp with Chronic Myofascial. Just wondering if anyone has had a GAD titer? Since SPS is an autoimmune disease the titer test provides the diagnosis. So little research done on SPS and it mimics so many other neuro disease it is often mis-diagnosed. I am not saying that anyone with fibromyalgia or chronic myofasical is misdiagnosed, just wondering if they may be in the same neuro-muscular family. Lights, noises, stress, etc... can trigger spasms, freeze ups, well, a whole host of different things.SPS spasms are dystonic in type. Its rare but they can be so hard as to break bones. My neck ones will pull my head either to one side or backwards. So it is different in many ways, but similar in some. After spasms release, I have to use trigger point pressure to relieve the pain and knots left over. anyway, I am just reaching for any straw which might add to my own research.Thank youstaley36@gmail.com
    texasannie 11 Replies
    • December 14, 2008
    • 05:04 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement