Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

unexplained possible superficial blood clots in finger and wrist

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 5, 2008
  • 08:15 AM

I have had unexplained vascular events in a finger on my right hand twice and now just above my left wrist. The doctors suspect that each are superficial blood clots, but all of my blood tests and diagnostic imaging show no problems. Seemingly, I have no underlying vascular disease, nor have they found any cancer. The only things that are unusual in my blood work are that my triglycerides are high. Also, the liver indicators are particularly low, which I have been told is a very good thing, not bad. I did recently have very mild chest pains, but the stress test showed all was fine. I am overweight, but not obese. I exercise daily and eat well.

The coagulation studies have been fine. They tested for Lupus and a ton of other autoimmune disorders. They have, I think, gone over me with a fine tooth comb.

I have seen a rheumatologist and a hematologist/oncologist. I feel like I am now at a dead end.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps I should just stop worrying about it and assume it's just one of those things...

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Check for a factor 8 lydon disorder.took them 10 years 5 trips to hosp.to figure mine out. Ive had 8 clots in lungs,2 in legs and just spent a week in hosp for clot by thumb.ill lose most of thumb and have no feeling in 2 other fingers. Didnt get this till i was 45. You and i just clot to well. Thank your parents.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2009
    • 11:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Do you mean factor 5 leiden clotting disorder? 5% of people of European decent inherited the tendency for this from one or both parents. This can cause DVT (Deep vein thrombosis) in legs and Pulmonary embolus in the lungs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had unexplained vascular events in a finger on my right hand twice and now just above my left wrist. The doctors suspect that each are superficial blood clots, but all of my blood tests and diagnostic imaging show no problems. Seemingly, I have no underlying vascular disease, nor have they found any cancer. The only things that are unusual in my blood work are that my triglycerides are high. Also, the liver indicators are particularly low, which I have been told is a very good thing, not bad. I did recently have very mild chest pains, but the stress test showed all was fine. I am overweight, but not obese. I exercise daily and eat well. The coagulation studies have been fine. They tested for Lupus and a ton of other autoimmune disorders. They have, I think, gone over me with a fine tooth comb. I have seen a rheumatologist and a hematologist/oncologist. I feel like I am now at a dead end.Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps I should just stop worrying about it and assume it's just one of those things...I am doing research for my mother who is 45 years old and was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have questions if her diagnosis is wrong...but I have no idea of what it may be instead. Do you have painful swelling in your hands?? Both of her hands have swollen immensly. She has also suffered painful swelling in her knee. When it attacks, it is a level 10 pain. This just started about a month ago...and we have way too many questions and not enough answers. Just curious if you have similar symptoms..
  • I'm 13, I recently had a blood clot on the top of my wrist, (svt) and it was removed before it had any affect on me, I was let out of hospital two hours after surgery (general anaesthetic) and I don't believe this is typical, could some tell me why i was let out so early
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement