Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Severe Stomach pain, Left Side, worse after Eating

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: jason22
  • October 2, 2008
  • 08:58 PM

Im 30 years old, 6'2" and 200 poinds which is average weight. My stomach always hurts and has hurt daily for a year now. Hurts more and more after meals. I had an upper endoscopy and upper barium xrays, as well as a CT Scan. Blood work was done and the markers for IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerite colitu, Giartia Antibody, etc.. were checked and all came back ok. Only thing that showed was minor gastritus. My upper and lower left side hurt. I get bloated can feel a clicking feeling when I press my upper left area after eating. Also I feel better when I put pressure on the painful area.
My doctors couldn't find anything wrong, no ulcers or nothing, they prescribed Prevacid for the minor gastritus but it has not helped at all. I probably sound like alot of other people with similar problems on the board and I know I am new but I am at a loss. I keep saying it will go away but it never does. I have never had food alergies in the past. My gut has gotten a bit bigger over the past year with age as I am not as active as I use to be but I am still right at average weight. I also eat alot lot less now then I use to when I was active. I just wish I could find an answer other than I can't find anything wrong with you. Thanks for any input.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi,I had similiar issues. Ended up being my gallbladder. I have stones. I am also a bit lactose intolerant. Since being diagnosed I have changed my eating habits...hard to do...to 6 small meals a day. I stay away from greasy, fatty food, fast food. My pain has completely gone away. Maybe you could ask for an adominal ultrasound. They look at 8 organs. Being you have had other tests I am not sure. Just wanted to drop you a message because I know how it feels when you are in pain and need some insight. Try changing up your diet. Not eating can cause worse problems for you. I feel like I am on a diet and starving but at least the pain is gone.
    anjala75 6 Replies
    • October 10, 2008
    • 01:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Had all the same tests. Came out with IBS with Constipation. I get a spasm where the stomach and small bowel meet. Instead of going a nice slow pace mine wants to race on through, causing the spasm. I take a generic form of librium before meals. It was readily used for depression, but prescribed for me for muscle spasm. It was discovered to help with digestion spasms. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. May not be your issue, because they discovered this during the barium xrays....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 03:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have bee reading about this on other site. Many of them said that this can be related with foods that you eat. And there were different kinds of cases with different kind of foods. When I have stomach problems it is usually with food difficulties. I try to rest as much as I can. It helps me a lot. Did anybody here had similar problem?
    Clear-sky 76 Replies
    • December 15, 2009
    • 09:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have been experiencing similar problem. Pain in left upper chest, feels some relief when I lie on the affected side. Sometimes the pain is confined to the middle of chest, it's there before eating, and worsens after eating. A few times it extends to my back. I've been given medicine for acid reflux , undergone stress test for cardiac problems, but the pain persists.I'm starting to feel so confused and helpless. I hope we both get some help soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2010
    • 00:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I had similiar issues. Ended up being my gallbladder. I have stones. I am also a bit lactose intolerant. Since being diagnosed I have changed my eating habits...hard to do...to 6 small meals a day. I stay away from greasy, fatty food, fast food. My pain has completely gone away. Maybe you could ask for an adominal ultrasound. They look at 8 organs. Being you have had other tests I am not sure. Just wanted to drop you a message because I know how it feels when you are in pain and need some insight. Try changing up your diet. Not eating can cause worse problems for you. I feel like I am on a diet and starving but at least the pain is gone.Gallbladder is on right side--his pain is on left side.Was your pain on left side?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just saw a doctor for this yesterday and she didn't have much to tell me. I don't have painEXCEPT for when I eat more than I should. The pain starts while I'm eating and makes me stop eating or it keeps getting worse. My pain occurs on the left side right under the ribs and is a sharp pain that's acute so I know it's associated with how much I'm eating at the time of the pain. I always want to rule out the worst...cancer, and don't feel comfortable with my doctor not being about to give me any explanations other than my body changes as I get older and to stop overeating. I'm a 49 year old female and am a little overweight but not obese.(5'7- size 10/12)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement