Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Explosive Diarrhea after eating

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 153 Replies
  • Posted By: krispykritter777
  • October 31, 2006
  • 01:51 AM

I have had this problem for a while now. When ever I dine out, doesn't matter what restaurant, within a half hour of eating I usually have extreme cramping followed by explosive diarrahea. This can be very embarrasing if I have things to do after dining. If I wait too long, I break into a sweat. I immediately feel relief after going to the bathroom, but I am usually a little weak. What do you think is causing this. It rarely happens when I eat at home.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Many restaurants use MSG in there foods. You could be having a reaction to that. I respond the same way. Try going to a restaurant that you know is MSG free and see if you get the same reaction.
    lynnwalden 20 Replies
    • October 31, 2006
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this problem for a while now. When ever I dine out, doesn't matter what restaurant, within a half hour of eating I usually have extreme cramping followed by explosive diarrahea. This can be very embarrasing if I have things to do after dining. If I wait too long, I break into a sweat. I immediately feel relief after going to the bathroom, but I am usually a little weak. What do you think is causing this. It rarely happens when I eat at home.Have you had your gall bladder out? If so, it is probably bile salt diarrhea.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It case you feel alone, I also have this happen. Interestingly I don't have the problem when I eat fast food, but the nicer the restaurant, the faster the symptoms occurred. I often will barely make it to a restroom on the drive home. At first I thought it was just chocolate desserts, but last night I just had salad. Embarrassing, yes! I'll start asking about MSG, but I'll also watch this thread to see if another idea comes up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 10:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem but found the cause. This happens when my pants are too tight, especially if I overeat. Wear ****r pants. Don't overeat. I bet this will solve your problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 10:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have the same problem and went to a chinese restaurant where they claim to have no MSG in their food. I still rushed to the bathroom right after. I really would like to find the cause to this problem as it is very inconvenient.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2006
    • 11:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you everyone that responded. After experimenting and asking the restaurants that I frequent whether MSG is in their foods or not I have discovered that is exactly what may be causing my problems. Thanks again.
    krispykritter777 1 Replies
    • December 1, 2006
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have the same problem and went to a chinese restaurant where they claim to have no MSG in their food. I still rushed to the bathroom right after. I really would like to find the cause to this problem as it is very inconvenient.You might want to look into Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 04:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too get this, especially at a very fancy resteraunt if I have a very nice steak. However there are times when I get the exact same meal from the same resteraunt and it does not happen. I know that there is no MSG involved. So that is not my problem. It also happened a couple of times after I ate at my mother-in-laws. That was lousey.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 03:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went to my doctor last week about a similar problem (only it happens after almost every meal many times a week) and they said they think it's IBS. I'm going back in a couple weeks for blood work and to rule out anything else but it seems feasible that's what it would be. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 03:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same symptoms....i tracked few of thems...if you eat fast,and don't let your system to digest...it's like a big ball and it will feel like to explodes...you don't exercise...just walking will work real finedepression is commun too....i have PTSD(Post traumatic stress disorder) with MDD(major depression dissorder), and that was one of my big physical symptoms...plus much more...but this was one of them....either it's positive or negative you can't hold yourself with having cold sweats.hope this can help some of you guys and galshave a great day
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 04:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please check into Carcinoid Syndrome, Celiac DIsease, Crones Diesease.Bowel symptoms can be very serious especially with Flushing (red face/sweating followed by feeling light headed or faint with heart palpitations) and explosive diarrhea immediately after eating.I hope this helps,
    GreenGoddess 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• You can be allergic to something. It seems I get these episodes after a meal out. I know I don't get sick at home. I do use MSG free salt for taste there, but I do notice that I get sick with this when they "add" something to the product. I do notice one thing. I tend to get these episodes when I eat a protein of some kind especially chicken breast, and fish. Both of these things are flavored for taste before serving.
    taynumber1 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • You can be allergic to something. It seems I get these episodes after a meal out. I know I don't get sick at home. I do use MSG free salt for taste there, but I do notice that I get sick with this when they "add" something to the product. I do notice one thing. I tend to get these episodes when I eat a protein of some kind especially chicken breast, and fish. Both of these things are flavored for taste before serving.Hey I have the same problem but, I find I have more trouble with lettuce and greens. I know some places spray something on it to keep it fresh. Plus, some places use a non-stick spray when cooking say chicken breasts and other things.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the same exploding poo problem for years. I am using a product to cleanse my colon http://www.drnatura.com/index.html?osCsid=2b50738ef7e826fc43b023c399afca53at the above web adress and man it is doing the trick. Check it our but beware the pictures are extremely graphic.good luck.
    miracle 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've had the same diarrhea problem for the past 6 months or so. I don't have insurance so I haven't been to a doctor, but I also get this periodic Piercing pain in my abdomen that is dull at first but gets worse unless I belch or pass gas. I've been looking into my symptoms online and gallbladder problems keep arising at first I thought I might have some sort of peptic ulcer, but I'm leaning more toward gallbladder stones or what not. I often have diarrhea after meals, ANY meals, but I've been taking diarrhea pills as SOON as I get that girgaly feeling and it holds it off for longer so I can make it home easier. You can find those pills at basically ANY CVS or Walgreens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2007
    • 03:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It's not celiac (although 1% of the caucasian population has it), because you don't get sporadic explosive diarrhea with it. It's not IBD, or it would occur at home. Carcinoid is possible, but there are 20-30 subtypes of carcinoid tumors, and you would need METASTATIC carcinoid to give you the "carcinoid syndrome" (sweating, wheezing, diarrhea, flushing) and it happens ALL THE TIME, not just at restaurants. When you eat, there is something called the gastrocolic reflex - the colon basically enhances it's propagation of food to the rectum and prepares for evacuation. It's one of the mechanisms to keep the GI tract moving at the correct pace. This reflex is modifiable by psychogenic mechanisms. All this to say, since it happens ONLY in restaurants but not at home, there is a behavioral component to it! Strange as it may sound, you need to figure out what it is about restaurants that accentuates your gastrocolic reflex. Are you nervous in restaurants? Are you going to very fancy restaurants? Are you taking clients out there or someone you're trying to impress? Things to think about! BTW, if the symptoms start occuring at home as well, or you see blood or start losing appetite/weight, see your gastroenterologist.
    GI guy 45 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 04:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the same problem for years. I had my gallbladder out, but it happened before that. With me it is constant - after every meal, at home or out (I don't go out a lot anymore because of this). I can't work outside of my home (I've had a few accidents out in public - making me just want to die of embarrassment!), but don't qualify for disability if it is IBS or bile salt diarrhea. Usually, I'm not even done with my meal before it hits. Or, I'm just out shopping and it'll hit randomly, even if I haven't eaten that day.I'll check into Carcinoid, Celiac and Crones. One thing, my growth hormones are off the chart (too low to register but I'm female and 5'11" so my growth was never affected), but I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I've had colonoscopies, and they show non-cancerous polyps (like, all over the intestinal tract, the entire length), and barium enemas - but my symptoms are so bad that the barium went through me in 15-20 minutes every time.I live on Imodium and have to take as many as 6-8 a day. I should buy stock.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2007
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • One thing, my growth hormones are off the chart (too low to register but I'm female and 5'11" so my growth was never affected), but I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I've had colonoscopies, and they show non-cancerous polyps (like, all over the intestinal tract, the entire length), and barium enemas - but my symptoms are so bad that the barium went through me in 15-20 minutes every time. I live on Imodium and have to take as many as 6-8 a day. I should buy stock. Your growth hormones shouldn't be high at your age. They're supposed to be low. As for non-cancerous polyps (benign polyps), I trust these were removed in the colon? They should all be removed. When you say the entire GI tract, do you mean just the colon or more than the colon? Barium enemas don't last too long in most people. 20 minutes is the lower limit of normal, don't worry!
    GI guy 45 Replies
    • August 16, 2007
    • 03:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You may want to get tested for "Celiac Disease." Look it up and check out the symptoms. It's an allergy to Wheat or Wheat Gluten. Or could possibly be Lactose Intolerance if it's happening when you having something with milk/dairy in it. Approximately 75 percent of adults eventually develop lactose intolerance.
    Kaebro 8 Replies
    • November 17, 2007
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you have explosive diarrhea after eating (also called explosive post-prandial diarrea (diahorrea), it's worth asking to have a blood test for a rare diease called Amyloidosis. Especially if you have other symptoms such as shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, neuropathy (loss of sensation in the lower legs, hands feet), fluid retention, eye problems - (look up the disease and you will find the other symptoms). My father had explosive diarrhea for two years before anyone realised what he had.This won't apply to most people, as it is a rare disease - but it's worth checking out becasue the earlier it is caught, the more successful the treatment it likely to be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 05:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement