Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Losing my finger? Red, Swollen, Warm to touch, Painful as $#^&!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: ScaredCrazy
  • September 26, 2008
  • 05:15 PM

Ok this started on Wednesday, 2 days ago as part of my undiagnosed condition, pain & swelling that migrates from one joint to another (acute onset usually), last a day or two & then everything loosens up, pain & swelling diminish and it moves on for a few days but, not this time! My right index finger was swollen, larger than I have ever experienced, so I went to the Dr, he said something about poly arthritus and moved on. I called him last night at 11:30 pm as finger was getting larger (it is so swollen, it looks like if I poked it with a pin it would burst) he says, go to the hospital if you need to or take 800 mg Ibruprofen, ice, elevate.

OK I have been taking the Ibruprofen every 4 hours, slept about 6.5 Hrs with it elevated (above my head) with a bag a frozen brocoli on it. It is still swollen, painful, warm to touch and red! No trauma, no alcohol use, no insect bites or breaking of the skin noted, just huge, swollen, red, and now of course my skin is extremely shiny! No diabetes, positive for avasular osteo necrosis bilateral hip replacements (only 42), Rheumatoid panel done yesterday, after I insisted! Meds: Ocycodone 5/325mg 1 QID, Claritin 12 prn allergies, cyclobenzeprine TID, Multi Vit, Vit C, Vit E, Calcium 1200mg, Vit A & D combined, & Ibruprofen q 4 hrs. I am afraid I am going to loose this digit without a proper diagnoses & treatment! Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am terrified (CMA for 20 yrs a little medical knowledge can be scary sometimes!)

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement